Switch to Forum Live View Some Info + Questions
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 12:46PM #1
writingal1

This seems to have been erroneously posted on a discussion thread--

RangerKen says--

"It is always sad to see any board become quiet. And since the most active forums get the most attention from the moderating crew, particularly the three, senior, all board moderators...and since we actually have 'lives' and can never see and catch everything... things tend to get missed.

This forum is specifically for discussion between believers in this paticular faith, or belief system. It is NOT the forum for debate, nor for intrusion by those who do not share this faith.

This is, in fact, clearly stated in one of the 'sticky posts' above. Not being a 'believer' in this faith myself I'm certainly not going to get involved in any discussion here.

BUT, if there is anything I can do by way of hosting, or taking care of inappropriate posts, all any member needs to do is to let me know. All three senior moderators have some 'quiet boards' sort off under our wings, to look at and be available to help as may be requested by members, or by a forum host when there is one.

This forum is, as of now, under my 'wing'...not to run...no way... just to be available if needed. I'll drop in once a week or so just to look around. A favorite cliche of mine goes, "the definition of a stupid question is the one you did not ask." Do enjoy your forum and if in doubt, e-mail me with anything you think of imterest and/or important from a moderating point of view. Please do not e-mail me with questions about Shamanism...I know NOTHING . "

Rangerken, Beliefnet Community Moderator

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 12:51PM #2
writingal1

Hi Ken. Welcome.

Yes this board has been very quiet but even so there are some things it's important to know.

The biggest one is that Shamanism is NOT a "faith" as is erroneously stated in your post.

It is a set of practices worldwide by people of most cultures and/or beliefs and/or thought systems.

If you have questions about that--please ask and we will do our best to reply.

Again--welcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 3:39PM #3
rangerken

Would it be more correct to call Shamanism a Belief system then? Semantics and definitions do matter andd those who follow' shamanism' are best suited to define what it is.

We have it on the faith list because there is no place els to put it.

Rangerken, visiting host

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 4:17PM #4
writingal1

"Belief system" implies to many people an organized religion or organized SET of beliefs.

Shamanism is neither.

Yes we know that bnet can't figure out where to put us but Shamanism is NOT a religion.

It is a varying set of practices in cultures around the world and at all times in human history.

Shamanic practitioners can be Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Hindus, atheists etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2011 - 2:57AM #5
Tenlionz

I believe lack of definition has been a major contributer to the tensions on this thread. So many "actual faiths" or belief systems all together attempting to give their point of view will lead to conflict, will it not? or at least debate. Having no definition also shows a lack of boundaries or respect for other "Traditional Practices" I have at times learned valuable insight from People who post here, and I have been offended by many here that seemed to believe that the lable Shamanism gave them some right to claim Native American and other practices as being Shamanistic. which is not the case. Native American practice does have guild lines and does have great oversight from Elders and Medicine Men.
I believe that the People here have every right to practice and speak about anything they like. I further believe that those truly interested in learning about holistic practice will have great respect for those cultures that do not want to be labeled as Shaman. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ten lionz
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2011 - 11:32PM #6
Shihulud

Labels are very important.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2011 - 12:06PM #7
Nay_ho_tze
Because this has long been at the heart of debate,
and to separate this shamanism learning discussion board
from the shamanism debate board,
the issues brought up by RangerKen's post
concerning shamanism as a faith
were/are addressed in the first two threads ...

click here
and
click here

to access above-mentioned threads
and more detailed information that may clear up any questions.

NHT
Shamanism
host
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2011 - 8:06PM #8
Tenlionz

Thank you Nay ho, so very nice to hear from you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2011 - 8:52PM #9
Nay_ho_tze
Halito, Tenlionz - Ya ko kae, anakfi - Achukma hoke.
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2011 - 2:28AM #10
Tenlionz

Chukma Umi itabee chukma, Aiyukpa Chi,

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing