Switch to Forum Live View Enough Already! I'm converting!
4 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2010 - 11:52AM #1
Adelphi

Hello all!  It is a great blessing to have a site like this to explore religious ideas.

Here's what I have to say.

I have been a Noahide for 8 years.  I never got into the 7 laws much or the style of worship of most Noahide fellowship structures.

The fact is all I know about this thing called Noahidism is through this thing called Beliefnet.

Eight years of ingraining Tanakh into my consciousness as a daily ritual observance and learning  that what G_d wants of me is to live compassionately has of course, been all blessing except for one thing - No Fellowship.

The people who read the Bible I read are Jewish.  The people who worship the Deity I worship are Jewish.  The only people who have the Torah studies that I would enjoy attending are Jewish.

For all the effort I have to expend finding a Noahide fellowship that meets my needs I've discovered its easier to just convert to Judaism.

One thing occurs to me, it sounds as if I'm intent on conversion for purely selfish, even decadent reasons.  I am.

Ultimately being a good Jew is the same as being a good Noahide or Christian or Muslim or anything else.  What G_d wants from us is compassianate living - to help those we see on our way any way we can;  to stand up for what is right and just in our community, society and world;  To stand against oppression in all those same places; other such stuff found in Torah and Tanakh; (one more) to do all of the above for my enemies too!  

Regarding ritual observance, I'm very conscious that I'm converting to Judaism, not joining the Marine Corps.  Joining any religion requires a certain level of ritual and lifestyle commitment.  Trying to live by Torah and Tanakh requires making lifestyle choices on everyone.  Therefore I'm not worried about it.

Also I'm going the Reform route!  I admit to myself that I couldn't do Orthodoxy.

All this I learned from being a Noahide and reading Tanakh daily for 8 years.  I'm confident trying to live this way will work as a Jew as well.

In any case, I don't know what else to do if I want meaningful religious fellowship.

Shalom

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 1:07AM #2
truthseeker630

Hi there Adelphi,

Congrats! The way I understand the Noachide movement is that, it doesn't matter what you choose to label yourself.  The important point is that you believe in God, who is without a body, and is single in his essence -- in other words you are a strict monotheist.  The other part is to live a moral life, and abstain from what the majority of religions all agree are harmful. I hope your walk empowers you to be a better person every day. :)

Sincerely,

Andrew

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2010 - 2:34PM #3
LeahOne

Adelphi, welcome to the tribe : ))

You're welcome to come and chat with us on the 'Discuss Judaism' boards, where you'll find at time the 'cradle' contingent is in the minority .....

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook