Switch to Forum Live View Progressive Christian Spirituality
4 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2010 - 10:45PM #1
byronearnold

I am curious about spirituality of the Progressive Christians on this board.  Do you read the Bible, and if so, how often?  What about regular times of prayer?  Do you fast?  Do you make a point of forgiving others?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2010 - 9:05AM #2
Want to know

Nov 25, 2010 -- 10:45PM, byronearnold wrote:

I am curious about spirituality of the Progressive Christians on this board.  Do you read the Bible, and if so, how often?  What about regular times of prayer?  Do you fast?  Do you make a point of forgiving others?

Hi Byron, I am not on this board very often, but I would be if it was more active. However, I will give my answers to your questions. I do read the Bible but not daily. I have read it from cover to cover and have found a lot of it confusing, especially the OT. I pray for God's comfort and for His comfort to be felt by others. I do this every night before I go to sleep and I say little silent prayers throughout the day. I do not fast and I do forgive others.

I hope others will answer you and that this board will liven up. I know there are many progressive Christians out there with variety of opinions.

"Now we see as through a glass, darkly but then face to face:  now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  I Corinthians 13:12
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2010 - 9:28AM #3
byronearnold

Nov 26, 2010 -- 9:05AM, Want to know wrote:

Nov 25, 2010 -- 10:45PM, byronearnold wrote:

Hi Byron, I am not on this board very often, but I would be if it was more active. However, I will give my answers to your questions. I do read the Bible but not daily. I have read it from cover to cover and have found a lot of it confusing, especially the OT. I pray for God's comfort and for His comfort to be felt by others. I do this every night before I go to sleep and I say little silent prayers throughout the day. I do not fast and I do forgive others.

I hope others will answer you and that this board will liven up. I know there are many progressive Christians out there with variety of opinions.

Want_to_Know:

Thanks for your response!  I am an Episcopalian, progressive in my theology towards my fellow man (although quite conservative in my views towards God.  For example, I am Trinitarian).  I will do my morning and evening prayers from the Book of Common Prayer (which includes daily Bible readings from the Old Testament, Psalms, New Testament, and Gospels).  I fast at least once a week (and sometimes twice a week) by abstaining from animal products and limiting how much food eat those days.  I do not hold grudges, so no need for me to make a point of forgiving others.

When I see a need, I will make a point of fulfilling the need.  I also regularly donate non-perishable foods to church food pantry.  In the summer, I remember I went downtown and started handing out bottles of water when we had extreme heat warnings.

For me spirituality isn't just about what you do in private (like praying, Bible readings, etc.), although its very important.  I think what is more important is helping out your neighbor.  one of the greatest commandments, after all, is to "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2010 - 7:57PM #4
Iwantamotto

I've read it a few times.  For fun I turn to the Brick Testament.  Otherwise I tend to stick to scholarly works about the bible.

I don't have a set time for prayer, I guess.  Never did feel like I should be making appointments with a God who can hear me always.

Ritual, as was noted by Jesus and other prophets, is for our benefit, not God's.  Do it if it makes you feel better, but understand that it is completely irrelevant to God's existence and what He feels like doing.  At least, that's the way I roll.  :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2010 - 8:37PM #5
grampawombat

Byron, you wrote: "I am curious about spirituality of the Progressive Christians on this board.  Do you read the Bible, and if so, how often?  What about regular times of prayer?  Do you fast?  Do you make a point of forgiving others?"

If the behaviors you cited define spirituality, I find that a bit curious. I think of the term as relating to a sensitivity to mystery and that which transcends understanding. But whatever. Incidentally, I do not think of myself as a "spiritual" person.

I am a member of the PCUSA, the largest Presbyterian denomination in the US. I have not read the Bible in its entirety. I have taken several courses on a substantial portion of it, though. I've also read several books of commentary on much of it. My wife and I say a blessing before the evening meal, though not when we are eating out. I also pray during Sunday services, where it is called for. I have mixed feelings about it. I think it is worthwhile, but I don't feel that I am obliged to do it. I don't fast. And finally, I'm not sure I'm very good at forgiveness, but I think it is worthwhile and I do try. For me, the most important aspect of my religion is to work for peace and justice. I also feel it is important to avoid judging others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 11:17PM #6
byronearnold

Nov 26, 2010 -- 8:37PM, grampawombat wrote:

Byron, you wrote: "I am curious about spirituality of the Progressive Christians on this board.  Do you read the Bible, and if so, how often?  What about regular times of prayer?  Do you fast?  Do you make a point of forgiving others?"

If the behaviors you cited define spirituality, I find that a bit curious. I think of the term as relating to a sensitivity to mystery and that which transcends understanding. But whatever. Incidentally, I do not think of myself as a "spiritual" person.

I am a member of the PCUSA, the largest Presbyterian denomination in the US. I have not read the Bible in its entirety. I have taken several courses on a substantial portion of it, though. I've also read several books of commentary on much of it. My wife and I say a blessing before the evening meal, though not when we are eating out. I also pray during Sunday services, where it is called for. I have mixed feelings about it. I think it is worthwhile, but I don't feel that I am obliged to do it. I don't fast. And finally, I'm not sure I'm very good at forgiveness, but I think it is worthwhile and I do try. For me, the most important aspect of my religion is to work for peace and justice. I also feel it is important to avoid judging others.

I never said they defined spirituality.  I was only using them as examples of spirituality.  If you have other practices that you do as part of your spirituality, by all means tell us about them.  I was simply wanting a discussion of Progressive spirituality and what practices everyone held to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 11:36PM #7
grampawombat

OK, I see your point concerning how one defines spirituality. However, I did define it as relating to a sensitivity to mystery and that which transcends understanding. And then I added that I do not think of myself as a "spiritual" person. I guess where I got off track is that I don't think of spirituality as having to do with "practices." Also, one of the most important aspects of progressive Christianity is a lack of uniformity. So I am sure that there are progressive Christians out there whose take on spirituality is much different from my own.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 10:27PM #8
Aussiesoul

Like many people here my spirituality is not so much nutured by daily rituals. I read the bible but not daily and also seek inspiration from other sources. I pray but not at any regular times.  Sometimes I might go into a church and sometimes I talk to God where I am. I do not fast but abstain from the eating of red meat on Good Friday as a mark of respect for that day. I consider forgiveness to be very important but more for me than the person I am forgiving. It is a healthy way to live your life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2010 - 4:35PM #9
Bob_Bennett

Byrone,

My practices include saying prayers of thanks at all 3 meal times daily.  My daily reading is more likely to be of Seth books rather than the bible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2010 - 6:10PM #10
bigbear6161
Hi. I sometimes read the Bible but not so much these days. I attend a Catholic Church weekly and it has become a very spiritual time for me. I find liturgical participation, singing, attending to the scripture reading and homily, and the Holy Eucharist to be an opportunity to focus my mind and breath. I say grace at dinner time. I meditate in the AM using insight meditation techniques. I try to see Christ in everyone especially my patients, many of whom are mentally and physically disabled.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook