Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View What do you feel makes someone a Pagan?
4 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2010 - 4:25PM #11
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 25, 2010 -- 3:24PM, d_p_m wrote:

Nov 24, 2010 -- 7:47AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I believe that Pagan and Wiccan are two very different things and I am willing to give a little more leeway to Pagan.

Definitely, but both have a recognizable set of 'nope, that's not it'.

Oh, yes, I completely agree. It's just a faster not it with Wicca than with Paganism in general.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2010 - 4:27PM #12
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 26, 2010 -- 12:51PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Nov 26, 2010 -- 9:29AM, d_p_m wrote:

Nov 25, 2010 -- 9:56PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

What would qualify as "nope, not Pagan"?

Well, that would depend on your working definition. Certainly a practising Jew or Christian or Muslim who claims to also be pagan would fall outside my definition. It's a bit of an "I'll know it when I see it". Nor are atheists pagan...

I can not speak to Muslims, but there are examples of "christo-pagans" and "polytheistic jews". I find the christo-pagans a fairly confused lot, personally, but they do present a bit of a problem. Polytheistic Jews, on the other hand were a historic group, even making cameo's (and having staring roles) in the OT. Of course this has more to do with the aspect of Jewishness as a cultural or ethinc, as opposed to a theological, trait. Through some correspondences with Cannanite recons, I have come across modern polytheistic Jews.

Oh, yes definitely.  And discussion theology with the Christo-pagans just leaves me triply confused.  I decided long ago they were a bit of a "Have your cake and eat it too," lot.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2010 - 9:37PM #13
Brownowl33

Nov 26, 2010 -- 12:51PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Nov 26, 2010 -- 9:29AM, d_p_m wrote:

Nov 25, 2010 -- 9:56PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

What would qualify as "nope, not Pagan"?

Well, that would depend on your working definition. Certainly a practising Jew or Christian or Muslim who claims to also be pagan would fall outside my definition. It's a bit of an "I'll know it when I see it". Nor are atheists pagan...

I can not speak to Muslims, but there are examples of "christo-pagans" and "polytheistic jews". I find the christo-pagans a fairly confused lot, personally, but they do present a bit of a problem. Polytheistic Jews, on the other hand were a historic group, even making cameo's (and having staring roles) in the OT. Of course this has more to do with the aspect of Jewishness as a cultural or ethinc, as opposed to a theological, trait. Through some correspondences with Cannanite recons, I have come across modern polytheistic Jews.

I've never put much stock in the "christo-pagans"  myself, since clearly they're violating any number of Biblical commandments.  Not that I think much of the Bible, but it seems like, if you're going to call yourself something, you might actually....you know.....follow it.  I agree, they've always struck me as either confused, or woefully misinformed.  I won't even entertain the silliness of "Christian 'Wicca.'"  I think it's just people who want to play cafeteria with religion, or who think Wicca just means "casting spells" but who are too afraid to leave Christianity.

I also agree that clearly Christians, Muslims, and Jews aren't Pagan.  Neither are atheists, since by definition they believe in no gods and have nothing in common with polytheists.  "Pagan" most commonly refers to the pre-Christian, indigenous religions of a native people, especially in Europe and the British Isles.  Usually polytheistic, they had distinct deities and worship, and their own worldview.  People who attempt to piece together what's known of these old religions are commonly called Reconstructionists. We've also got new religions, like Wicca, Feri, and Reclaiming that are more commonly referred to as "NeoPagans."  Though clearly distinct (Wicca is not Feri is not Asatru) they do have certain similiarities that lump them under the Pagan umbrella.  Simply calling yourself "pagan" doesn't mean you fit any of these similarities.  "Pagan" by itself isn't a religion, it's a KIND of religion or description of a religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 4:15PM #14
Andrew21492

Christians cannot be "pagans" because the Bible specifically says "Thou shalt love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength; and love your neighbor as yourself." So it is impossible for a Christian to be a part of any other religion. Christianity is more about relationship than rules anyways.

Just to let you know, I'm just startin to learn about this religion; so go easy on me if I use biblical terms, and straighten me out (without bein rude about it, please).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 6:19PM #15
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 13, 2011 -- 4:15PM, Andrew21492 wrote:

Christians cannot be "pagans" because the Bible specifically says "Thou shalt love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength; and love your neighbor as yourself." So it is impossible for a Christian to be a part of any other religion. Christianity is more about relationship than rules anyways.

Just to let you know, I'm just startin to learn about this religion; so go easy on me if I use biblical terms, and straighten me out (without bein rude about it, please).

So you pull up a dead thread to tell people what they can and cannot be? There are pagans out there who follow YHWH you know, and if Christianity, as you say is more about a relationship with your god than rules, then how on earth can you say that someone cannot be this or that?

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 8:34PM #16
Andrew21492

That is what is so confusing to many others too; but I'll put it this way, if a person loves someone, then he or she will do anything to not break that other person's heart, which includes doin what that significant other says.

Not everyone who say they are following YHWH is doin His will.

BTW I didn't say it, I just repeated it in my own words. And I view things in black and white (meaning I do not compromise very much if any), which may cause conflict with many. Which is perfectly alright, cause I learned how to stand on my own, even if no one else stands with me.

Also, there is no such thing as dead; somebody or something might be dormant for a day, week, month, year, or longer, but there will always come a person who will bring that person or thing back in the future, no matter how soon or late , obsolete or concrete it may be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook