4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 9:02AM #1
IonMoon

Hi,

I am a non-jew who is considering conversion and engaged to/living with a Jewish man. Tonight, I would like to surprise him by bringing home candles and a tzedakah box to observe Shabbat... but I cannot get to a Judaica store before then.

Do we need to use special candles? Or can I go to the gift shop and get any candles/holders? I have boxes on hand that I thought I could let his daughter decorate. Is there anything else I need to know?

If not, I can just wait until next week, as we do have a Judaica store in town.

Thanks,

Tara

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 1:58PM #2
LeahOne

: ))  Hi, Tara - and welcome to the board. 

No special candles are needed, or holders.  It also needn't be only two.  My Mom had a beautiful Shabbat candelabra which was shaped like intertwining trees and had 3 lights.  She would tell us girls that one was for her, one for Dad, and the middle one for us.....

MY SIL has three girls, and each of them has their own set of Shabbat candlesticks - and they light them all - which makes for a very bright table!

The custom generally followed is that women light the Sabbat candles and men sing the Kiddush:  when our son got old enough to recite it, we set aside the blessing over bread for his part but he'd join his Dad in doing the Kiddush too.

I think it's a great idea to have the daughter decorate the tzedakah box! 

May you and yours welcome the Sabbath queen in joy and peace! : ))

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2010 - 4:16PM #3
shawoman

Just remember that you're not supposed to blow the candles out - they're supposed to burn down. This means don't get the really long tapers unless you want to chance your house burning down while you're asleep.

Shabbat candles are normally shorter and normally burn around four hours - not much more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2011 - 12:04AM #4
Cathyy
This is a bit late to be replying, but it may help somebody.

You can always use tealight candles. They burn for an appropriate length of time. There are lovely Shabbat candleholders made for them, plus all the variety of votive candle holders that would also work for tealights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2011 - 9:38AM #5
Pam34
When our oldest daughter got her own place (not in the dorm, where they aren't allowed to have candles) we bought her some Shabbat candleholders that take tealights or short candles and contain them within glass - very safe!

As for how many - the accepted minimum is two (although one is probably adequate if two simply can't be used) but there is no maximum - however, they should be allowed to burn down, and you are not to move them once they are lit. So choose your location carefully and keep an eye on them.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 5:27PM #6
minagmj

Shabbat cadles are sold in many regular supermarkets if this is your first choice

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2011 - 4:01AM #7
NahumS

Asb I remember, utility candles are the same as Shabbat candles. Here in Israel, there are short  candles in glass cups (sort of like votive candles) that are very popular. They fit into candlesticks, and nothing drips. You just was them out with hot water after Shabbat (we use the leftover water from the Shabbat urn), and that cleasn out the residue.

If you are looking for heirloom candlesticks at a price, look on ebay. I have bought several antique brass candelabras, obviously Jewish in design, and never paid more than $50 for a pair or a large seven branched Shabbat candelabra.

And in a pinch, you can use electic (not flourescent) lights for Shabbat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2012 - 1:49PM #8
Caretta-caretta

They don't even have to be candles, in a real pinch you can use an orange!  Cut it in half across wise, and take out the flesh but leave the central stalk intact.  Fill the two halves almost full with olive or vegetable oil.  Light the stalk as the wick.  Shabbat candles must burn for about an hour and these will last long enough to suffice.  Also they smell nice.  I learned to do this from a Jewish family in Turkey many years ago, it was their family tradition and we do it here sometimes just for fun.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook