Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Should Christians celebrate Halloween?
3 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 7:19PM #1
faith713

I found out that Halloween is actually a Pagan holiday. Is it wrong for Christians to participate?

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 5:44PM #2
Shannon

Hi.

When I was in the single's ministry, our ordinary day was meeting together to go reach out to unbelievers.  We use to have parties all the time for that reason.  So, on Halloween, we made the most of the opportunity and threw parties for our purpose.   There are many people out there who are looking for pure fun, and are tired of living impure lifestyles.  We use to have open mike nights and wine and cheese parties and the gatherings were pretty cool, and decent.   I don't think that on Halloween we were gathered together for Halloween.  I think we were being all things to all men to save some.

I believe it all depends on our faith.  Some may eat all things and some only vegetables.  If outreach during Halloween bothers the conscience, don't get into it, because anything that is done without faith is sin.  I believe in knowing why you do what you do and feeling secure in that, you can share your faith at a Halloween party with a clear conscience- as long as you are accompanied with other Christians who are strong in the faith.  I don't think it would be wise to go it all alone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 5:50PM #3
Lowyatar

It is a Pagan holiday but then again most holidays are rooted in Pagan holidays and celebrations.  It was a way for the Catholic Church [the only Christian church in existence at the time] to win over more converts by using holidays that were and still are very important holidays for the indigenous peoples but they renamed them to put a Christian spin on it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 11:12AM #4
Bezant

I say don't violate your conscience if it raises an objection. But for others who choose to celebrate it, them be.

My family doesn't for cultural as well as religious reasons.

I don't celebrate 31 October primarily because it's still observed by a small though arguably neglible "pagan" minority, though I will go to a costume party on days around the 31st.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2011 - 12:47PM #5
Bob10

And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart (spiritual circumcision) ....to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments(Sabbath #4) and his statutes(holy festivals, Lev.23) and his judgments, that thou may live (Deut. 30: 6, 16).

"In him also you were circumcised with a spiritual circumcision.....Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths...the substance belongs to Christ" (Col. 2:11, 16, NRSV) ---- "Who is your life" - Col. 3:4, NRSV.

acts 24:14, NRSV - But this I admit to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our ancestors, believing everything laid down according to the law or written in the prophets.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 6:05PM #6
Bob_Bennett

hi,

Originally, Oct. 31 was known in the church as "ALL Souls" day, and you were encouraged to pray for the dead.

Now it is just an excuse for a costume party, and there is no "should" about it.  It is simply a party occasion, sort of like Valentines Day.  Do what you want.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2011 - 3:24PM #7
slate

Nov 1 in the church is All Saints Day.  Halloween means Hallowed Evening. Hallowed means holy.  It was holy because it was the night before All Saints Day.  My bishop said it is Ok to celebrate Halloween as long as we go to church the next day for All Saints Day. 

The only problem, these days All Saints Day has been transferred to the closest Sunday because the pastors claim nobody will come to church on All Saints Day. The bishop says that is not true.  If we really stress the significance of All Saints Day , people will come. 

the only problem is

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 29, 2011 - 10:57AM #8
Godsvesselx2

Nov 6, 2010 -- 7:19PM, faith713 wrote:

I found out that Halloween is actually a Pagan holiday. Is it wrong for Christians to participate?

Don't just blindly follow the masses. know the history, the origins, and the reasons. You would be surprised by what you find(Christmas, Easter, Valentines, Halloween). Not saying it's wrong to celebrate on these days. You just need to know that the traditions were not born in Christianity. A simple search on the web will generate loads of information. There are a lot of pagan rituals adopted by the church some by choice and some not by choice.

You would be surprised to find out about some of the practices and procedures that go on in an typical Sunday service, how they got started(dressing up,ushers, pews, podiums). One example is people dressing up. Some say it's looking your best for God. I say hogwash.. God created us naked, man created clothes out of shame. Nothing we put on our bodies will impress God. In the church of old the rich got sat up front. One of the ushers duties was to sit the rich up front and they did so based on the way the people were dressed.

I'm not saying these things are wrong to do. I am saying, just be informed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 29, 2011 - 3:50PM #9
faith713

Another custom is to say"Bless you"after someone sneezes. I found the origin could be rooted in another pagan superstition:

"Among the pagans of Flanders, a sneeze was an omen. When Saint Eligius warned the pagans against their druidical practices, according to his companion and biographer Ouen, he included the following: "Do not observe auguries or violent sneezing or pay attention to any little birds singing along the road. If you are distracted on the road or at any other work, make the sign of the cross and say your Sunday prayers with faith and devotion and nothing inimical can hurt you."

www.helium.com/items/148362-why-we-say-g...

All this time I thought it was just being polite to say "Bless you" after someone sneezed, now I'm thinking of not participating in that custom since it has pagan roots.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 8:26AM #10
gigarath3
I believe that so long as Halloween doesn't take you from your faith, then I wouldn't think there would be any issue with celebrating the holiday.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook