Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Should Christians celebrate Halloween?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 3:44PM #11
Slipnish

May 29, 2011 -- 3:50PM, faith713 wrote:

Another custom is to say"Bless you"after someone sneezes. I found the origin could be rooted in another pagan superstition:

"Among the pagans of Flanders, a sneeze was an omen. When Saint Eligius warned the pagans against their druidical practices, according to his companion and biographer Ouen, he included the following: "Do not observe auguries or violent sneezing or pay attention to any little birds singing along the road. If you are distracted on the road or at any other work, make the sign of the cross and say your Sunday prayers with faith and devotion and nothing inimical can hurt you."

www.helium.com/items/148362-why-we-say-g...

All this time I thought it was just being polite to say "Bless you" after someone sneezed, now I'm thinking of not participating in that custom since it has pagan roots.

It was used to ward off evil spirits that might fly up your nose or in your mouth...  Jeez, do they sell tin foil where you live?  I'm thinking a hat is def. in order for you.

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 8:53PM #12
faith713

Sep 14, 2011 -- 3:44PM, Slipnish wrote:

May 29, 2011 -- 3:50PM, faith713 wrote:

Another custom is to say"Bless you"after someone sneezes. I found the origin could be rooted in another pagan superstition:

"Among the pagans of Flanders, a sneeze was an omen. When Saint Eligius warned the pagans against their druidical practices, according to his companion and biographer Ouen, he included the following: "Do not observe auguries or violent sneezing or pay attention to any little birds singing along the road. If you are distracted on the road or at any other work, make the sign of the cross and say your Sunday prayers with faith and devotion and nothing inimical can hurt you."

www.helium.com/items/148362-why-we-say-g...

All this time I thought it was just being polite to say "Bless you" after someone sneezed, now I'm thinking of not participating in that custom since it has pagan roots.

It was used to ward off evil spirits that might fly up your nose or in your mouth...  Jeez, do they sell tin foil where you live?  I'm thinking a hat is def. in order for you.

Ah, Slipnish, long time no see.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2011 - 11:09AM #13
Bob10

If anyone obeys his laws, he belongs to God and God belongs to him....   -- 1 John 3:24, Worldwide English (NT)

If any person is not in me, he is cut off like a branch and dies. People gather the dry branches and throw them into the fire to be burned.   -- John 15:6, WE (NT)

...which agrees with what I teach everywhere in every church.  -- 1Cor. 4:17, NIV

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook