Switch to Forum Live View Philosophical reasons for God having no name...
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 9:47PM #1
truth-is-reason32

ACIM says that "God has no name", however it does not give philosophical  reasons for why that is so. Therefore, can someone please logically  explain tous on why God cannot have a name as mentioned by ACIM?

For  example, language can be confusing and limited, but God is not  confusing, and is limitless. Therefore, he cannot have a name based on that logic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2010 - 4:38AM #2
Kylism

I too see God without limit.  Which are descriptive words for God.  To me a name is meant to be descriptive.  God can have a name which has meaning with words, just as you described God being limitless. 

I enjoy reading about God in different beliefs.  I find Elohim an interesting one used on the first page of the Bible.  It is used as a singular word in a plural form.  Gods in oneness being a single unit.  The Hebrew wording is used when God is creative.  God I find shows actions and then reveals a name.  Christians say Saviour or Rescuer for find strength and love and forgiveness in Jesus who chose to help those hated him and loved him.

Questions are good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 10:09PM #3
truth-is-reason32

IF anyone want to inform us anything else related to our question, please say it here!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 7:46PM #4
Bob_Bennett

A name identifies an object, a separate and limited thing or person.    God does not fit any description and so cannot be named.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 8:43PM #5
williejhonlo

Nov 4, 2010 -- 9:47PM, truth-is-reason32 wrote:

ACIM says that "God has no name", however it does not give philosophical reasons for why that is so. Therefore, can someone please logically explain tous on why God cannot have a name as mentioned by ACIM?

For example, language can be confusing and limited, but God is not confusing, and is limitless. Therefore, he cannot have a name based on that logic.

The limitation of logic is that we use it as how it relates to our circumstances. The logic goes that since there was no one around to name God at the beginning since God was the only being means that God cannot have a name that is eternal. Yet Jesus says, " I have kept them in your name" The way i see it, it is said, "in the beginning there was the word and the word was with God, and the word was God". The word God has German roots, the word God here in this verse i believe represents a vibration that is nondifferent from God. The word was God ( being nondifferent from God ) not  the word used was the word " God "  which is of  German origin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2010 - 9:36PM #6
williejhonlo

Nov 23, 2010 -- 7:46PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

A name identifies an object, a separate and limited thing or person.    God does not fit any description and so cannot be named.

All vibration comes from God since he is the cause of all causes. All names are vibrations that are made possible to exist because of God. Before the vibrations were made relative they were absolute.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 5:23PM #7
adm0491

Since there was only God before He created His Sons, and all else that was created,

His Name can only be Father.

Jesus mostly referred to God as Father.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2010 - 12:44AM #8
williejhonlo

Nov 29, 2010 -- 5:23PM, adm0491 wrote:

Since there was only God before He created His Sons, and all else that was created,

His Name can only be Father.

Jesus mostly referred to God as Father. Yes, Jesus refered to God as Father, now, if you take their relationship to be eternal then his name as Father ( Abba ) must also be eternal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2010 - 2:13PM #9
adm0491

To take that thought of God's Name a bit further; He never needed any name, because God just Is. And since He created us, He is our Father, and we are all His children.

Yes, of course God is eternal, but He also created  all of us to be eternal.Jesus says in the Course that what God creates is forever.

In thinking about names that have been mistakenly given to God, I am reminded that the Jews were once a small Berber tribe in North Africa, and their name for their tribe's god was Yahweh.

Before Moses decided to leave the Egyptians, who had raised him and educated him, to rejoin the Jewish tribe he had been born into, there were many other different tribes in that part of the world and each tribe had a  different "name" for their particular god, to distinguish their god from all the many other gods that were central to the other many tribes. That's the only reason for names, and that is the reason all of us  to have names, because there are so many of us.

I believe it took Moses 40years to 'civilize' that Jewish tribe, and although probably all of the other different Berber tribes are no longer, the Jews are still here, and so is their own god Yahweh.

I believe the mistake most Christians have made is to attribute the god of the Jews in the Old Testament, as being the same as our real Father, and God, Who  sent Jesus to come to earth two thousand years ago to teach us about Who our Father really is.

That's why Jesus only refered to God as Father, because God has no other name. In the beginning there was ONLY God.

Jesus also explains why God has no Name in the Course.

And I think that one of the many reasons which Jesus wanted to give us the Course In Miracles now was to help us really understand, Who we really are, and Who our Father really is. Because probably very little of what Jesus taught His disciples 2000 years ago has been saved for us in the New Testament. It would not surprise me if most was destroyed, if not lost.

But even the little that the New Testament has of Jesus' own words  and thoughts, was enough for Mary Baker Eddy to learn what some of  the principles of healing are. With that she started Christian Science. And devout  Christian Scientists do not go to doctors when needing healing; they ask their Christian Scientist practioners to do a spiritual or mental healing for them.

Jesus teaches much more in the Course, He teaches us all, if we are interested to learn, just how to also do the spiritual healings needed for any kind of physical or mental problem.

That has been one of my main interests in studying the Course every day for nearly 30 years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2010 - 3:45PM #10
williejhonlo

The way i see it, God does have a name, his name possesses spiritual potency. Demons were cast out by the disciples by using the names of God or Jesus. By the German definition of God, God means that which is invoked. He is invoked by his name. Jesus even says, " when three or more are gathered in my name i am there with them" He also said " Hallowed be thy name" in reference to Gods name.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook