4 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2010 - 7:30PM #1
Zammy13

Can your true name be also your spirit animal? I found a match and it's an animal I've been seeing quite alot of. I'm sorry for asking so many probably basic questions.

P.S If it isn't to much to ask can anyone teach me? I have a teacher but she seems to not know alot of what I ask. I mean no disrespect to her but, if you can please help.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2010 - 10:00PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 3, 2010 -- 7:30PM, Zammy13 wrote:

Can your true name be also your spirit animal? I found a match and it's an animal I've been seeing quite alot of. I'm sorry for asking so many probably basic questions.

P.S If it isn't to much to ask can anyone teach me? I have a teacher but she seems to not know alot of what I ask. I mean no disrespect to her but, if you can please help.

Spirit animal isn't necessarily Wiccan, so I don't know that you'll get an answer here.  I have to ask, however, what do you want when you say teacher?

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 8:21AM #3
Zammy13

I live in the bible belt ya see (or a bible belt I should say) and I'm the first Wiccan in my family that I know about. I need help in pretty much everything and I have only a couple friends that can help. I don't find other sources as helpful (Websites and videos). So I need someone that can help me with all the basics until I get them.

If this is really out there to ask forgive me  but I'm basicly the only Wiccan I know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 8:59AM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 4, 2010 -- 8:21AM, Zammy13 wrote:

I live in the bible belt ya see (or a bible belt I should say) and I'm the first Wiccan in my family that I know about. I need help in pretty much everything and I have only a couple friends that can help. I don't find other sources as helpful (Websites and videos). So I need someone that can help me with all the basics until I get them.

If this is really out there to ask forgive me  but I'm basicly the only Wiccan I know.

Are you Wiccan?  or are you pagan?  Wicca is a pretty limited term. You need a coven, to be Wiccan, you know.  At least you need a coven to do the teaching. And the initiating.  And whatnot.  I am actually not Wiccan.  I am pagan.  But I know many Wiccans, and can help you a little.  I just  am not convinced you meet the Wiccan critera. Because if you did, you probably wouldn't be asking for help on a forum.  Nothing wrong with being pagan rather than Wiccan, you understand, and nothing wrong with asking for help.

I just think you may be asking the wrong questions.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 7:02PM #5
Zammy13

I thought Wicca could be a solitary practice as well. The one that has been helping me does not belong to a coven. There is no coven near me either. I may be very wrong about this but, as I said I didn't think I needed a coven I wanted to be solitary.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 9:30PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 4, 2010 -- 7:02PM, Zammy13 wrote:

I thought Wicca could be a solitary practice as well. The one that has been helping me does not belong to a coven. There is no coven near me either. I may be very wrong about this but, as I said I didn't think I needed a coven I wanted to be solitary.

It goes back to teaching.  I suppose in your situation, you could turn to Seax Wicca, but Wicca over all is a social type religion.  This link: wicca.timerift.net/gathering.shtml  explains it better than I ever could.  Actually, I would recommend reading the whole site and then coming back if you have any questions.  It is one of the best sites on Wicca I have ever found.

But as I was saying, without a coven, you simply can't learn the stuff you need to learn to be accepted as Wiccan.  The stuff is oathbound, afterall, and it is transferred through covens.  Every Wiccan has their solitary practice alongside their coven one, anyway, if you think about it.

What state are you in? I would check your state witchvox page and look for others near you.  You would probably be surprised as to how many pagans are nearby.

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." - Groucho Marx

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 11:50AM #7
d_p_m

Nov 4, 2010 -- 7:02PM, Zammy13 wrote:

As SG has been saying, Wicca is oath bound, and initiatory. Without someone who has been properly and adequately initiated to teach and initiate you, you are pretty much a pagan with Wiccan tendencies. Or a very early Wiccan, who has yet to find anyone to help them past a certain point in their path. Depends on your definitions.

Traditional Wicca has lineages - "G initiated A who initiated B ... who initiated E, who initiated me". What one generally wants is to be connected into one of them by training and initiation. For example, I can trace my initiations up the line to Gardner... there is an assumption that Gardner, for example, was adequately initiated, and so that satisfies the requirements for proper initiation, transitively.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 7:05AM #8
Brownowl33

Nov 4, 2010 -- 8:21AM, Zammy13 wrote:

I am going to disagree with others here and say that, yes, I think one CAN be a solitary Wiccan, but it IS much more difficult, and you will never get the full effect or benefit as you would belonging to a coven.

For one thing, it's becoming ever harder to find good, reputable sources of information.  Most of the books that come out purporting to be about "Wicca" are absolute rubbish.  "Wicca" seems to be used as a catch-all term to describe any sort of magical practice, whether religious or no, and a lot of the books I've come across contain things that are definitely out of place.  Wicca is rather like belonging to the Catholic Church: there are specific rituals, beliefs, and tenets already laid out, and being Wiccan or not depends on how closely you follow those.  It's not something you can make up as you go along, nor is it the act of simply casting spells (which anybody can do.)  It's the worship of specific Gods in specific ways, using specific rituals.  You don't get to pick any old Gods out of a book, and if you come across somebody claiming to be a "Christian Wiccan," know right away that they don't have a clue what they are talking about.  Read the REAL experts: read Gerald Gardner, read Doreen Valiente, read the Farrars, and you'll get an idea of what real Wiccan practice is about.  It's likely to be quite different from what you've been exposed to, and what you think it is.

I personally do not believe Gardner's claim that he found some ancient Witch cult; I think he himself put Wicca together based on a number of different systems, including Ceremonial Magic and Freemasonry.  This doesn't make it any less valid, but it does make it a new religion, so be cautious of anyone claiming to have "500 years of Wiccan ancestors" or the like.  Also, if you're looking for a teacher, be cautious as well.  There are some very good covens out there, but there are also some very bad ones.  I've seen some very wise teachers who I greatly respect; I've also seen some (including supposedly lofty Gardnerians) who treated their "initiates" like garbage, and belittled and abused them (all the while dangling "secrets" over their head) to boost their own egos.  If you're genuinely wanting initiation, search long and hard and don't hesitate to get out of there if they cross the line.  It's been my experience that many of the long-established, Gardnerian and Alexandrian covens tend not to advertise, so be prepared for a lengthy search.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 11:50AM #9
d_p_m
It is, of course, possible to be a solitary Wiccan *after* you have been properly initiated.
"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook