Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
3 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2010 - 3:26AM #11
ManzanitaBear

Dec 19, 2010 -- 9:40PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

This caught my attention:

Dec 19, 2010 -- 7:50PM, ManzanitaBear wrote:

The rituals I've participated in have usually entailed calling in a goddess and god, by any name, from any pantheon. And surely you know the "Isis, Astarte, Hecate, Inana" chant? Deities may have different names in different pantheons and be more or less the same.

Are you one of the "All gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess lot?

Yes and no. Who really knows whether gods and goddesses are distinct individuals or different faces of what is ultimately the same? Arguing over that is like the blind men and the elephant.

Dec 19, 2010 -- 9:40PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

You know, I am myself and Kea is herself, and while we have a similar attitude on this one, we would both be fairly pissed if you decided we must be the same person.  I have the notion that the goddesses would have the same feelings about being considered adiquate substitutes for each other.

Of course you're different people. But suppose you worked at the same job, with both of you having the same job title and range of responsibilities. Either one of you could be given the same assignment, or you might collaborate on one. That wouldn't be disrespectful of your individuality.

But if, say, you two had very different job descriptions, or simply couldn't get along with each other, then no way could you be given the same assignment or asked to work together. Some deities don't mix well and shouldn't be brought into the same ritual. But does that really depend on their pantheon of origin? I would think their attributes have more to do with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2010 - 5:50PM #12
KeaErisdottir

I gotta admit that the discussion here is starting to feel a lot more like something I'd hear at a D&D game, than a serious discussion of the propriety and the practice of worshiping the Gods.

I have a number of problems with what you're putting forward here.  The first among them is that you basically say that it doesn't matter what God it is, as long as it fills the slot in your rituals.  Okay, but that is reallt just shoddy ritual theater and not worship of named Divine beings.

Why not just stop at refering to The God and The Goddess and avoid the whole mess?

Another issue is that intellectualism is no substitute for personal revelation and/or personal relationship with a given God.  Thought Wicca itself is a religion of Praxis, the bonds between Wiccans are built from commonalities of experience with the Divine.  The Gods have Names because they were given them by mankind.  Those names are sorted by culture, because those Names corresponded to things important to those cultures.  When you say that the sense of place that comes from a Name given by a given culture doesn't matter and/or it's just something to basically fill a space in your ritual script, a great deal of the richness of the experience that one might have with the Divine is lost. Because, well, they are just another God....

I can also point out that once you have an actualy personal encounter with a God, that you generally are less willing to play this game.  Seeking the Face of the Gods, and finding them, is a life-changing experience that usually disabuses people of the notions being put forward here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 2:11AM #13
gorm-sionnach

I do agree with her approach:

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook