Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How are you studying?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 2:49AM #1
Ravensmoon

I hope to start some conversation here, maybe this area can be active again.

First off, I'm not a witch. I don't know if I'll ever become one. I don't seem to be able to resonate with the anthropomorphisizing of things (ie. Gods and Goddesses), but I do have an interest in the world of Wicca and Witchcraft. It is interesting to me. It also seems a bit like some of the things I do.

Right now, I'm taking a course in Magick. It's an online course and I'm just doing it to gain some insight on this type of practice and as with anything I study (be it bible, magic, neo-paganism, etc.) I probably will take what seems to work for me and adapt it to my belief system and not adapt things that don't seem to "sound right". Just the way I work.

How do any of you study? Online courses? Books? Online articles? Trying stuff on your own? A combination of the above?

What are the things you take with you when you study and adapt as your own?

Do you ever find things you do not want to adapt to your own way of doing things and wonder if you should have due to some maybe saying it has to be done that way?

Do you feel you should do it the way others say or can you go your own way and it be ok?

I know a lot of questions. But this practice is intreguing and I often wonder what the mind set is of those who take up some serious study of this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 11:40AM #2
weirdfaery

I'm never really studied magic. I bought a bunch of spell books and adopted the spells that I liked. I mostly work with candle magic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 7:06PM #3
Ravensmoon

So basically you learn by doing, which is also a good educational experience. For me, I think I'll be doing my own thing but taking from what I read and study and adapting them as needed.

I'm wondering, have you had anyone tell you that you should do something you opted not to or should not do something you decided to add as your own? What do you tell these folks?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 12:47PM #4
Brownowl33

Wicca and Witchcraft are NOT the same thing, so it's possible to be a  witch without having to use anthropomorphic gods and goddesses.   Witchcraft is a practice (though for most it seems to have at least SOME  religious overtones) but Wicca is a religion.  A very specific  religion, incidentally: simply being a Witch, or practicing witchcraft,  doesn't make you a Wiccan, and "Wicca" isn't just a nice word for  magic.  I know many witches who don't really follow any specific gods or  godesses, and who definitely aren't Wiccan.  If you're interested, I  can give you links you can look at.

Learning magic can be tough.   There's a lot of info out there, but a lot of it seems to be pretty  terrible.  Now, in the "old days," you would learn directly from  somebody else.  There would be a village wise woman or man, and they  would maybe take on a student or two to replace them when they died.   That still happens, but obviously social ties aren't what they were, and  there simply aren't enough teachers to go around.  One CAN learn from  book, but I personally think it's still best to be at least in contact  with an experience practitioner.  Books can be helpful, but part of the  journey is learning how to tell what's useful info from what's not.

Myself,  I learned the basics from a combination of books, teachers, and trial  and error. Once you've got the beginner stuff down, you can branch out  and sort of work out your own system.  Depending on where your interest  lies, you'll find that whatever you do with be strongly coloured by the  culture and history of whatever system you study.

If you are beginning, I wouldn't do any kind of spirit work, or work with the dead, for a good while until you've got more experience and are pretty firm in your practices.  Those, to me, have the potential to turn nasty; I have been practicing for years, and I am only now starting to learn more about the practices, and only in a theoretical sense.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 1:27PM #5
weirdfaery

I actually only know one other witch irl and she seems to be somewhat of a poser so I've pretty much been following my gut and doing what feels right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 2:21PM #6
Ravensmoon

Oct 10, 2010 -- 12:47PM, Brownowl33 wrote:

I know many witches who don't really follow any specific gods or  godesses, and who definitely aren't Wiccan.  If you're interested, I  can give you links you can look at.

That would be very much appreciated. I would like to learn as much as possible, especially the difference between Wicca and Witchcraft.

I keep saying I'm not a witch because I don't believe in the Wiccan religion. But as you pointed out, I (as many I'm sure before me) do get the two confused. I think it's because of the way it's portrayed sometimes in the media or just by the general public, that the confusion arises. As for me, I'm not quite sure at this point exactly what I am. But I am me and on a journey. And what a fascinating journey it is!

Learning magic can be tough.   There's a lot of info out there, but a lot of it seems to be pretty  terrible. 

Many times one has to read and take everything they read with a grain of salt. What I look for is what seems to be the same from a number of people, and whether or not I really want to adapt it - if it will work for me and at the same time not really bother anyone else.

Now, in the "old days," you would learn directly from  somebody else.  There would be a village wise woman or man, and they  would maybe take on a student or two to replace them when they died.   That still happens, but obviously social ties aren't what they were, and  there simply aren't enough teachers to go around.

They I think as you say are out there. But since many are hooked up to the internet, maybe a lot of the teachers are not. They might be more in tune (naturally) to nature and not so much to technology. What's more, due to all the negativity in this world, many people are very wary of strangers.

Maybe this is one of the reasons many teachers are in hiding? I don't know...

One CAN learn from  book, but I personally think it's still best to be at least in contact  with an experience practitioner.  Books can be helpful, but part of the  journey is learning how to tell what's useful info from what's not.

Myself,  I learned the basics from a combination of books, teachers, and trial  and error. Once you've got the beginner stuff down, you can branch out  and sort of work out your own system.  Depending on where your interest  lies, you'll find that whatever you do with be strongly coloured by the  culture and history of whatever system you study.

This is one reason I'm taking an online course in the basics of Magick. It's taught by a practicioner and there should be communication between student and teacher. The teacher also gives links to different recourses for further study.

Still, I think that no matter what the source, one has to decide for themselves if they want to adapt it or not. What may work for one person may not for another. But I do agree having a live person to consult with sometimes can be most beneficial as they can be a good source of insight at different stages or as one tries different things.

If you are beginning, I wouldn't do any kind of spirit work, or work with the dead, for a good while until you've got more experience and are pretty firm in your practices.  Those, to me, have the potential to turn nasty; I have been practicing for years, and I am only now starting to learn more about the practices, and only in a theoretical sense.

Good luck!

Doing "spirit work" or "work with the dead" doesn't make sense at all to me. I believe everyone's consciousness is part of the Universal Power. The ONLY thing I would tap into is the Universal Power just like I have before. I believe when the physical body dies, the conscious mind then goes on to another body somewhere else. Life recycles, renews, and evolves. So there is no way that you can really "work with the dead" as there is no death. There may be ghosts that are still consciousness trying to find a new home. Those I believe should be left alone for the natural progression of things to make their course so that the consciousness goes on to their new home. I think interfering with that journey would be harmful to all parties involved. Imagine a free electron finding a new atom and getting sidetracked by someone trying to intervene. The electron would take longer getting to where it's supposed to go and you influince it in ways that might not be good for it. Never mess with nature! Smile

Maybe I should blog about the ghost stuff some time.

My work has always been in meditation to help myself (as selfish as it sounds) and make a world around me that is good, and as free of negative energies as possible. And also in hope that it would also benefit those around me that I share the physical world with as it eminates from me in how I react to things, and how I do things when interacting with others. That is the basis of my belief system. To evolve and improve both yourself, your world, and what world(s) you share with others.

I think the best way to gain knowledge is to tune into the Universal Power and not just one particular consciousness (or spirit) because you don't get just one conscious mind's worth of information, you have everything across the universe and dimensions and you can then better find what resonates with you and your world in a positive way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 2:25PM #7
Ravensmoon

Oct 10, 2010 -- 1:27PM, weirdfaery wrote:

I actually only know one other witch irl and she seems to be somewhat of a poser so I've pretty much been following my gut and doing what feels right.

I hope you don't mind me asking but what exactly is a "poser"? Someone who thinks they are something but really isn't? Maybe she really is? Is there really any way to tell what is in her mind? I don't know. Or is she acting this way to the point of trying to get people to notice her "ways" or what she is?

I think you're doing what I'm doing in just doing what you feel is the right way for you. That's the way I'm doing things right now too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 3:33PM #8
weirdfaery

When we first met she went on and on about all the people she's cursed and then tried to warn me that cursing is bad. Then she tried to convince me to join her coven complete with the coven tattoo. I consider that to be manipulative and on a power trip. Perhaps poser wasn't the correct term.

I'll try to be a bit more coherent and on topic later. (busy chasing a two year old Laughing)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 6:09PM #9
Sacrificialgoddess

Oct 10, 2010 -- 3:33PM, weirdfaery wrote:

When we first met she went on and on about all the people she's cursed and then tried to warn me that cursing is bad. Then she tried to convince me to join her coven complete with the coven tattoo. I consider that to be manipulative and on a power trip. Perhaps poser wasn't the correct term.

I'll try to be a bit more coherent and on topic later. (busy chasing a two year old )

Playgan?

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 6:27PM #10
Ravensmoon

CosPlay? Role play?

Whatever it is, doesn't sound good. I mean just cursing and going on and on about those she cursed (as you said) is a good warning sign. I wouldn't join any group of people where there's likelihood of people who have a fascination of drawing in negative energy to people. There are those in any group I guess - religious or otherwise.

But yeah, doesn't sound like what I've been reading real witches are like. Generally, they are more interested in positive things, and I've read many places already that witches do not curse or even try to directly influence the behavior or "luck" as it were of another person. In fact, I've read a few of them wouldn't do spells for other people, because spell casting is for the individual practicioner.

But then I don't know her personally so maybe she's just relating a message of what she learned. Who knows. If you're not comfortable with someone, you don't have to hang around them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook