4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 5:43PM #1
Antiochian

I pretty much dropped out of church several years ago.  I denied the Christian faith and ceased calling myself a Christian two years ago.  Things have been happening in my life that have led me to reconsider.  I've been attending a church for a month now, and actually like it.  Not once has someone told me how evil I am, or how I need to believe every thing a church leader or televangelist tells me.  Not once have I been told that real believers vote "this" way.

Yet, I hear the word "Christian," and I think "bigot."  I think "small-minded."  Or "hater."  Like Anne Rice, I have a very hard time accepting the title "Christian" for myself, while believing that what Jesus did and said so long ago affects my life. 

Can anyone else relate?  If the word "Christian" has been so muddied and polluted, what should we then call ourselves to set ourselves apart from...  God's crazier followers?  Or do we simply want to keep explaining how we're not "that kind of Christian?" 

I'd love to hear any ideas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 9:17AM #2
bigbear6161

Tremendous question which requires an expanded answer.  Unfortunately I don't have much time now but will give my brief response:

I'm not sure we want to give the name Christian up quite yet as there is a significant continuity and link with our Churches, our theologies, our prayer practices & liturgies/sacraments going back through Christian history.  Further, our actions are still largely grounded in the teachings of Jesus, even if much of them are fictionalisations or re-worked community memory of an actual historical Jesus, or perhaps just a mythological one.

On the other side, we may be something different enough to require a new name.  I just don't think we are there yet.  I do like the idea of the emerging paradigm and/or the Evolving Church.

Dave

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 11:41PM #3
Stardove

Oct 5, 2010 -- 5:43PM, Antiochian wrote:

I pretty much dropped out of church several years ago.  I denied the Christian faith and ceased calling myself a Christian two years ago.  Things have been happening in my life that have led me to reconsider.  I've been attending a church for a month now, and actually like it.  Not once has someone told me how evil I am, or how I need to believe every thing a church leader or televangelist tells me.  Not once have I been told that real believers vote "this" way.

Yet, I hear the word "Christian," and I think "bigot."  I think "small-minded."  Or "hater."  Like Anne Rice, I have a very hard time accepting the title "Christian" for myself, while believing that what Jesus did and said so long ago affects my life. 

Can anyone else relate?  If the word "Christian" has been so muddied and polluted, what should we then call ourselves to set ourselves apart from...  God's crazier followers?  Or do we simply want to keep explaining how we're not "that kind of Christian?" 

I'd love to hear any ideas.

MM Antiochian and welcome to the forum.

I identify with the Progressive Christian label, because in those churches which are progressive the message is normally about how to live our lives today, not what happened over 2,000 years ago. I was raised up in the Christian faith, but sought to find something more than my early teachings.  I believe there are many paths to Creator.

Christ is our greatest example of love and he is said to have two commandments.  Love God, love your neighbor as yourself, therefore the hidden commandment to love yourself.  I believe how we live and show love to one another is the most important thing to remember.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 5:55PM #4
Bob_Bennett

How about "follower of Jesus Christ"?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook