Switch to Forum Live View RE: A question about Baha'i religion
4 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2010 - 6:55PM #1
in_my_opinion

Received this message and thought others may have comment on it, too:

A question about Baha'i religion

Sep 24, 06:48AM

Hi.

I saw this:

community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/4...

"We have to be about saving the world and ensuring its unity. This is far bigger than individual wavering and wandering. We are still at the brink of mass annihilation and possible human extinction. It can take any of a dozen or more possible routes. It could be as simple as an ecological cascading collapse, a nuclear disaster, a virulent pandemic; or, it could be something more subtle such as a major economic/agricultural dislocation leading to starvation on a scale logarithmically worse than all that humanity has ever experienced in history put together. It might, and is likely, to be a combination of many factors.

It is easy to deny these things as mere alarmism, until a few planes take down a couple of skyscrapers and extinguish thousands of human lives. Public memory tends to be short. Misery can feel like it will last an eternity for individuals.

To be happy, bring joy and be practical in the progress of our planet; all require the discipline of maturity and the maturity of self-discipline."

I was wondering: Do you believe that such possibility of "extinction" is a high-likelihood outcome, given the way things are? If so, doesn't that imply that the so-called "promise" of world peace in the Baha'i religion is faf from an unconditional, irrevocable decree but a revocable one, indeed, one likely to be revoked? Simply due to lack of sheer number, is it pretty unlikely that the amount of goodness in the world could reduce that probability to a not-high-likelihood event, and so trying to make it better is more or less a "I don't think it's really gonna work but I should just try it anyway since there's really nothing else better to do" kind of thing? Or are "sheer numbers" not really relevant?

RE: A question about Baha'i religion

Sep 24, 07:50PM

Dear mike3,

" I was wondering: Do you believe that such possibility of "extinction" is a high-likelihood outcome, given the way things are?"

Absolute species extinction is an unlikely scenario for us. A major lethal pandemic might kill as many as an extremely speculative 70%. On the other hand there is this quotation regarding: "...all the people of the civilized world..." 

"No. 69 - December 1932 - page 3

"See how through national hatreds, economic shortsightedness and racial prejudice the world is reaching the verge of ruin. Should we stay our hand and fail to apply the Divine remedy Bahá'u'lláh has prescribed in His Writings, all the people of the civilized world will perish."

- From a letter written by the Guardian, through his secretary, to Mr. C. G. Nordquist, Seattle, dated Haifa, Palestine, November 15, 1931.

(Shoghi Effendi, Extracts from the USBN)

To be brief civilization could be knocked back to a tiny fraction. Even if only 0.1% (1 in every thousand) remained, there would still be a solid seven million alive, who would recoup far faster than our historic rise.

"If so, doesn't that imply that the so-called "promise" of world peace in the Baha'i religion is faf from an unconditional, irrevocable decree but a revocable one, indeed, one likely to be revoked?"

Likely? No. Not at all likely. Possible? Barely. The promise of peace will happen with us or after our extinction. The "peace of the grave" is still peace and still an albeit miniscule, chance. Peace will exist; we might not.

"Simply due to lack of sheer number, is it pretty unlikely that the amount of goodness in the world could reduce that probability to a not-high-likelihood event, and so trying to make it better is more or less a "I don't think it's really gonna work but I should just try it anyway since there's really nothing else better to do" kind of thing? Or are "sheer numbers" not really relevant?"

That's a pretty complex question. The answer to the question of whether peace is attainable is: Yes, definitely!

Time is short, though. The longer we take, the more the risk.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 1:38PM #2
dlherrmann

As far as Baha'is are concerned peace on earth is a promise.  It will happen.  How, when and what form it will take depend on our individual actions.  Do we lead lives that create peace, or lives that are no different from the chaos and confusion around us?  If we create peace in our own lives, share that with others and create bridges to other people, other groups of people, then we are helping to create peace.  Baha'is strive to do this in their daily lives.

Baha'is also work to strengthen and build up the Baha'i community so that no trace of prejudice or estrangement can be found.  It is not easy, but nothing worthwile is easy.  And it may take centuries, but that does not matter.  We are each responsible for doing as much as we can toward that goal.  Mental health studies have found that people without goals greater than themselves have a greater degree of mental illness than those who do.  Great goals give greater purpose and self satisfaction to lives than those who don't have such goals.  So it's a good thing to strive for something great.

I've been at it for over forty years now.  The results I can see are small, but I know that millions of other Baha'is around the world are working together with me on this, and when those millions advance one inch - that is a tremendous movement!!  And other millions are working for this also.  It will be done.  There will be peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:48PM #3
Aka_me

Sep 24, 2010 -- 6:55PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

It is easy to deny these things as mere alarmism, until a few planes take down a couple of skyscrapers and extinguish thousands of human lives. Public memory tends to be short. Misery can feel like it will last an eternity for individuals.

we now have computer viruses being used as weapons of mass distruction... IF said virus were to cause a core meltdown at a nuke site.

technology is going to continue to develop new things which can be and will be used as instruments of death.

there will come a day when nanotechnology will allow atoms to be disassembled like legos, in order to use those atoms in building reconstructing anything we ask for... pepperoni pizza, shazam there it is. explosives laden vest, bam you got one, you want 500, ok done.

if humanity's SPIRITUAL maturity does not keep pace with our SCIENTIFIC maturity...

then there is going to be mass killing on scales never before imagined, by human hands. not even counting the idea natural disasters.

I personally believe that Murphy's Law will come into effect, so that when it rains IT POURS! and we'll see multiple concurrent or sequential cataclysm causing humanity to fully believe the end of the world is upon us.

and then, with (some ecologically sustainable number, perhaps 1/2 to 1/4 of the world's population) those surviving to see the end of tough times, they collectively decide on one big global hug and apologize to each other for being so rediculously stupid.

could anyone possibly propose ANY other way for the United States to break the addiction of profit in weapons sales?

as the economy worsens... we can't help but pump out more weapons to stimulate the economy.

Sep 24, 2010 -- 6:55PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

I was wondering: Do you believe that such possibility of "extinction" is a high-likelihood outcome, given the way things are? If so, doesn't that imply that the so-called "promise" of world peace in the Baha'i religion is faf from an unconditional, irrevocable decree but a revocable one, indeed, one likely to be revoked?

I do not believe complete extinction is possible, because survival of the human species has been unequivocally promised by God, through Baha'u'llah.

it is kinda long, but a VERY good article to read is called Who Is Writing the Future

if you don't believe the CIA controls the media, then it's only through WILLFUL ignorance of the information openly available to you. who shot himself in the head TWICE before a new book was released. the corruption is bleeping sick!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook