4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 1:24AM #1
ShylaMarie

Can someone please tell me the significance or meaning of a native dance (or maybe ritual) where .... it's hard to describe.... A wolf would dig a hole, and then.... uh... transform into a man wearing a wolf skin, with the wolf head as a ....uh.... hood, or hat.... and then the man in the wolf skin dances around the hole that the wolf dug. Does this make any sense to anyone? I would really love to know if this has any meaning. It is of great importance to me. I'm sorry I could not describe it very well.

Thank you in advance for any input that anyone may be able to offer. Shyla

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2010 - 9:22PM #2
Bunsinspace

BS"D

Wolves, despite the attitude of Sarah Palin, are a sacred 4-legged people to many nations.  Maybe one of another nation will claim this "ceremony" and elaborate. There are many NDN nations on Turtle Island and I have not heard of such as your described "ceremony" among the Blackfoot and that is as far as I can respond.

OTOH, there are elements from your description that seem to share elements with a Blackfoot legend:

www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/The-W...

Every NDN story has a LOT to teach from it.  But it is not my place or desire to talk about someone else's ceremonies.  That is for them alone to do if they wish.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2010 - 2:37AM #3
ShylaMarie

Thank you

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 1:29PM #4
wohali

Shyla, are you certain it was a wolf and not coyote?

Sounds more like a skinwalker to me........

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook