Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Trials and Tribulations (in Tribute to the Seven Yaran of Iran)
4 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2010 - 10:55AM #11
world citizen

Sen ~

I specifically stated "credited news agencies" as the appropriate sources.  BIC (UHJ) was added as an alternate.  Websites (e.g., Wikipedia) and blogs such as yours can err in subtle ways.  For instance, your post implies that the sentences were positively reduced, whereas the official news release headline reads:  "Prison sentences for Iran's Baha'i leaders reportedly reduced to 10 years."  The article reports that the lawyers were "orally" notified of this, but it has not yet been confirmed by any official documentation.  The Iranian government has been known to change course in midstream in the past.

I think that your website offers a wonderful service to the Baha'i community and, yes, you often have topics not appearing in this forum.  Something of this importance, however, I don't believe should come from anywhere other than official news sources.  "Reduced" and "reportedly reduced" are not the same.

Respectfully, WC

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2010 - 11:57PM #12
in_my_opinion

"...imagining that by overweening force he could eradicate and suppress matters of this nature, and that harshness would bear good fruit; whereas [in fact] to interfere with matters of conscience is simply to give them greater currency and strength; the more you strive to extinguish the more will the flame be kindled, more especially in matters of faith and religion, which spread and acquire influence so soon as blood is shed, and strongly affect men's hearts."

(Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 20)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 12:08AM #13
in_my_opinion

"At all events the undeniable truth is this, that for nigh upon thirty-five years no action opposed to the government or prejudicial to the nation has emanated from this sect or been witnessed [on their part], and that during this long period, notwithstanding the fact that their numbers and strength are double what they were formerly, no sound has arisen from any place, except that every now and then learned doctors and eminent scholars (really for the extension of this report through the world and the awakening of men) sentence some few to death. For such interference is not destruction but edification when thou regardest the truth, which will not thereby become quenched and forgotten, but rather stimulated and advertised."

(Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 40)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook