Switch to Forum Live View Difference between pantheism and panentheism?
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 3:39PM #1
Agnosticspirit

Hi all, this has probably been asked before --- I've probably even ASKED this question before but what's the difference and how does this variant play out in your moral and ethical practices? 

It's my understanding that Spinoza was a naturalistic pantheist... Einstein was a naturalistic pantheist. I don't see that much difference between Einstein and Deism. 

Thanks,

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 12:50PM #2
Jcarlinbn

As I understand it pantheism is the idea that God is found in nature, and panentheism is that nature is found in God.  

That would put Einstein firmly in the pantheism camp.  I don't know enough about Spinoza to stick him in a box.  But as I am only an interested observer, I would welcome comments from those who can tell the difference from the inside of one or the other.  

As far as I can tell panentheism is compatible with traditional religions, and pantheism is idolatry for most of them as God is limited to observed things in the real world.  Again an outsider looking in but sometimes observers can see more clearly.  

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2011 - 5:09AM #3
river8101

Idolatry is a word I don't particularly like.   I don't think it describes any belief, because if you believe in something, and pantheism does, you're not practicing idolatry just a different form of belief.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 11:25AM #4
ExPluribusUnum

Sep 12, 2010 -- 12:50PM, Jcarlinbn wrote:

As I understand it pantheism is the idea that God is found in nature, and panentheism is that nature is found in God. 

Not a description I had heard before, but I think I like it despite its being a little too simplified.

Sep 12, 2010 -- 12:50PM, Jcarlinbn wrote:

Again an outsider looking in but sometimes observers can see more clearly.  

Totally agree!

For me, pantheism says that the observable universe is coequal to godness or divinity.  Panentheism, in contrast, says that the observable universe exists within godself (which is larger than just the material universe) and is at the same time fully imbued with divinity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 1:00PM #5
river8101

In that case, panentheism is the same as most religions but without the religious holidays!

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2012 - 7:03PM #6
river8101

Exactly.  But I'm sure they have their holidays anyway and they connect them to whatever God means to them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2012 - 12:43PM #7
JCarlin

Aug 15, 2012 -- 7:03PM, river8101 wrote:

Exactly.  But I'm sure they have their holidays anyway and they connect them to whatever God means to them.

In my experience most coopt the usual holidays but put a naturalistic (or should I say pre-religious) solstice emphasis on them. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook