4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 3:03PM #1
Phantasm

This blog brings up a really interesting question: Do Christians lean too heavily on John 3:16?

link

I am definitely tired of hearing of ohn 3:16.  Yes, it is a beautiful verse.  I just wish we'd do more with the text, and the Bible at large.  1000-some pages of text tells us there's more to our faith than assent/belief.  I think the best suggestion the blog makes is Titus 2:11-15.  It's longish, but it's also more meaty.

So-- What verse other than John 3:16 do you guys think is foundational to Christianity?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 10:55PM #2
Phantasm

Is everybody on vacation or something?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 2:54PM #3
Iwantamotto

I can see that 3:17 would be a nice change of pace.

The problem is that a lot of people would think that's too much effort.  Turning all of Jesus' ministry and God's teachings (in the OT and the NT) into one bumper sticker is apparently a helluva lot easier than, oh, I dunno, being mature in the faith.  Jesus said you should come to Him as a child ... I don't recall saying you had to stay that way.  You would think the "Golden Rule" would be of more use.  John 3:16 is completely pointless in a practical kind of way.  It's like saying the sky is blue.  So what?  How would changing the color of the sky really affect my life?  (This is being said knowing that changing wavelengths might affect things like plant growth and such, but it was the only thing I could think of, LOL.)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 7:51PM #4
grampawombat

Micah 6:8 is my favorite. And Phil. 2:3-11 comes to mind, as does much of the sermon on the mount. I like the part in Magnificat about the proud and the rich, too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 12:02AM #5
Stardove

(New Living Translation) For me this verse is not about getting stuck in our faith.

So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don't need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God.

Hebrews 6:1

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 1:44PM #6
Phantasm

I'm prejudiced being Lutheran, but Romans 1:16-17 changed Luther's  life forever.  17 could be a foundational verse:

For in it [the gospel] the righteousness of Gof has been revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2010 - 3:35AM #7
Aussiesoul

I agree that too much is made of John 3:16. While a beautiful verse its message essentially is that faith in Jesus Christ is necessary for our salvation and entry into eternal life. Of greater importance are verses which speak of the life and values we need to follow in our lives now. I therefore value Jesus parables and the sermon on the Mount. I also love the verse in Corinthians that speaks about love and its great value to us.

Aussiesoul

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2010 - 6:20PM #8
Bob_Bennett

We all have eternal life anyway, and there is no further spiritual death after Adam according to Paul.   So, what';s the big deal?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook