Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Jesus in New Thought
3 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2012 - 3:13PM #11
MsTopaz

Feb 16, 2012 -- 3:08PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I agree New Thought Especially Unity appeals to my views on this.

Jupiter, do you live near a Unity church? I visited one last week and I loved it. I am going back this week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2012 - 4:02PM #12
Jupiter6208

Feb 18, 2012 -- 3:13PM, MsTopaz wrote:

Feb 16, 2012 -- 3:08PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I agree New Thought Especially Unity appeals to my views on this.

Jupiter, do you live near a Unity church? I visited one last week and I loved it. I am going back this week.

Hello MsTopaz

Acually i live near 2 of them havent had a chance to go to one yet. So you liked it huh?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2012 - 5:07PM #13
MsTopaz

Feb 18, 2012 -- 4:02PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Hello MsTopaz

Acually i live near 2 of them havent had a chance to go to one yet. So you liked it huh?

Yes. It wasn't as dignified as Episcopal services because at one point the congregation actually CLAPPED during a song (which made me want to hide under my seat) but what I really liked was...

1. The positivity...it was a totally uplifting and inspiring experience.

2. The thoughtfulness of the lesson - there were a lot of historical and current references (not just the Bible) and I kept thinking about the lesson all during the week.

3. The respect for other world religions...while Unity is Christian, their songs and messages are inclusive.

4. I love their emphasis on prayer/silence/meditation.

5. There wasn't one word of the lesson or the songs that made me cringe. In more mainline churches, I am constantly having to reinterpret the liturgy or sermon to something that makes more sense to me.

I miss a cathedral setting and the music of a good organist, but on balance, I think this is more of a fit for me than are Episcopal services because even the progressive ones haven't updated their liturgy even though I know many of the priests personally question a great deal of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 10:25AM #14
Jupiter6208

I think i would agree but i can't be sure until i actually attend a Unity service,but i already like alot of the new thought message. I like the  Episcopal Church also I plan on attending a Unity Service this weekend.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 11:09AM #15
MsTopaz

Feb 20, 2012 -- 10:25AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

I think i would agree but i can't be sure until i actually attend a Unity service,but i already like alot of the new thought message. I like the  Episcopal Church also I plan on attending a Unity Service this weekend.

I went to Unity again yesterday and the lesson for the week (I don't think they say "sermon" but I am not sure) was FABULOUS...truly one of the best talks I have ever heard. It was like a TED talk but focused on God, with the key message contrasting "paradigm pioneers" vs. "paradigm paralysis." I got a lot out of it.

Introvert that I am, the clapping during singing makes me wildly uncomfortable but when I look around at the joy on the faces around me, I try to focus on the positive message and not on my longing for a more traditional choir.  Laughing

I subscribed to the digital version of "The Daily Word" and I quite like that.

Jupiter, I hope you will come back and let us know what you think when you do visit a Unity church. I am sure it isn't right for everyone but I am feeling very enthusiastic about it. My next step is to take my husband and children to visit and see if they can envision making this our church home.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 1:45PM #16
Jupiter6208

I have been subscribing to Unity Magazine for a couple of years  Daliy word is very good i have it on my phone.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2012 - 10:48PM #17
MsTopaz

So did you ever try a Unity service? I attended for 5 months and I'm considering going back to the Episcopal Church. I loved some things about Unity and really disliked other aspects. My family votes "no" on continuing to go.

I tried to send you a friend request and your privacy settings blocked me. If you want to connect, please send me one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 7:11AM #18
Jupiter6208

Jul 23, 2012 -- 10:48PM, MsTopaz wrote:

So did you ever try a Unity service? I attended for 5 months and I'm considering going back to the Episcopal Church. I loved some things about Unity and really disliked other aspects. My family votes "no" on continuing to go.

I tried to send you a friend request and your privacy settings blocked me. If you want to connect, please send me one.

Hello MsTopaz

No unfortunally i did not yet but i did take my daughter to a UU Church a couple of months ago that was fun. Actually i really don't know where i fit in as far as Christianity goes i'm very liberal and universalist in thought but i do love the Episcopal Church they seem to have a healthy balance of traditianal and progressive ideas and i pretty much can think what i want. well i think what i want regardlessWink I'm sorry about the freind request i had to change the settings i'll send you a freind request have a great day!

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 7:14AM #19
Jupiter6208

Hello again,

It seems you have your privacy restrictions on and i couldn't send you a freind request.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 9:01AM #20
MsTopaz

Jul 24, 2012 -- 7:11AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

No unfortunally i did not yet but i did take my daughter to a UU Church a couple of months ago that was fun. Actually i really don't know where i fit in as far as Christianity goes i'm very liberal and universalist in thought but i do love the Episcopal Church they seem to have a healthy balance of traditianal and progressive ideas and i pretty much can think what i want. well i think what i want regardless 

I'm the same as you with the liberal and universalist beliefs. I am not sure if I fit best with UU or The Episcopal Church, either. I know I am attracted to the Episcopal Church, but I'm never sure why considering their political struggles get distracting. It almost seems like two churches, the progressive people fighting for social justice and the orthodox people who talk like they would be happier being Roman Catholic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook