4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 5:02PM #1
David106

According to the Course, there are two and ONLY two ways of living in the world.

On way, the way most people choose, is to believe that illusion is REAL, and to live your life as a way of "reconciling" yourself to it, trying to FIX it, trying to make it OKAY.

It's interesting to note that the FORM that the illusion seems to take and the form of your attempts to reconcile yourself to it are irrelevant. Whether you feel guilty often and try to reconcile yourself by following all the "rules," whether you're a woman and believe you're not beautiful and try to reconcile yourself by wearing tons of makeup, or whether you think your life sucks and try to fix the problem by drinking too much alcohol......it DOESN'T MATTER what form it seems to take; it's all the SAME thing. Illusions DO NOT EXIST and therefore any attempt to "fix" them will fail.

The other way of being, the way the Course suggests, is to understand that illusions are not REAL, and therefore to be happily at peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2010 - 6:36PM #2
Myownpath

The other way of being, the way the Course suggests, is to understand that illusions are not REAL, and therefore to be happily at peace.

Have you been able to do this? Really? Can you think of one person, say a relative or co-worker, that just seems to get to you? get under your skin? So someone ticks you off  ---"understand that it's an illusion" then be happily at peace??? It seems as if this sugar coats a challenge or is leaving a whole lot out. What if the person continues?....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2010 - 8:01PM #3
Gary

yea, ACIM tries to divide the world in two. (dualism)

ACIM says you either engage reality and are therefore wrong. (external physicality)

OR you withdraw into yourself and shut reality out which is right. (my internal feelings or emotions are the only things that exist)

The whole thing seems very unhealthy.

take a look at the  workbook.  every exercise in there is self referencing.

every exercise contains the word "I" or "Me" or "My"

me, i, my, feelings or thoughts.

the ultimate goal seems to be total narcissism.

I am not an illusion, but a reality.
Only God is real. Therefore I am god.

everything and everyone else is an illusion and is not real and does not really exist. (nihilism)

This is the viewpoint of someone with a very damaged ego.

The whole thing is a dysfunctional coping mechanism.

If we can heal ourselves from our damaged ego as in psychotherapy then we can go in a third way. A way that can recognise our emotions AND our physicality as well as the breathtakingly beautiful universe we live in all as beautiful healthy wholesome manifestations of gods love and unity.

Try saying to yourself:

I am an illusion.

Only the rest of the universe and everyone else in it is real.

You will get quite a different result !

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 2:01PM #4
Myownpath

Actually there is much truth in what you said. 

Yet I view myself as a grand part of life that has evolved over millions of years and through some magnificent cosmic chance, I was born. Born interconnected with a shared planet, shared DNA, and a sense of belonging to this world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2010 - 1:05AM #5
Gary

Yes ! Myownpath you have stated it simply and perfectly.

Life is what it is. Nothing more and nothing less.

There is a line in the bible that illustrates it perfectly.

(paraphrase from memory)

someone asks g_d "who shall i say sent me?"

Answer: Ahie Asher Ahie

Translation: "I Am what I Am." In other words life is just what it is. no great mystery.

no huge puzzles to solve. What is is what is.

When I said above to say "I am an illusion" it's basically a budhist idea used to pull someones head out of their *ss and take a look around at what is not them.

In the long run it is perfectly normal and healthy to have a healthy ego and revel in ones individual existence. When you can really see that that individual existence is a part of , even a kind of holographic part of all of the entire whole then you have found non-duality !

When the course talks about "illusion" it is actually talking about what in psychology is called neurotic projections. neurotic projections are caused by having a damaged ego. a condition almost all of us experience growing up in the modern world.

So in Budhism the idea "ego is an illusion" is misleading bordering on false.

truth is: Damaged ego projects illusion onto the world. Healed ego does not.

The course is so appealing to people because to the damaged ego "reality is an illusion" seems like a valid statement. Somewhere deep down inside people are aware of the fact that they are projecting their neurosis onto the world around then and what they percieve is basically false. This is why course people are imporant because they see it this far.

But the real key is to just heal the damage and let your ego live without projecting itself outward onto the world. Then you can just persieve the world as it actually is.

exactly as you have described.

ahie asher ahie

It is what is it. simple and beautiful and full of symbol and meaning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 5:42PM #6
Bob_Bennett

That bible quote to Moses may have been a refusal to be named.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook