Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View A holy book that was carried away: The Gospel (Bible) of Barnabas
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 8:44AM #1
Muhammad

Jesus, who approved the prophethood of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) before he was born by addressing him as “O Muhammad”, and the Bible of Barnabas are undeniable evidence that he is the last prophet.

Please click on the link given below to read the full article,

A holy book that was carried away: The Gospel (Bible) of Barnabas

www.questionsonislam.com

Let there be no question unanswered...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 9:58AM #2
steve123

Jul 29, 2010 -- 8:44AM, Muhammad wrote:

Jesus, who approved the prophethood of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) before he was born by addressing him as “O Muhammad”, and the Bible of Barnabas are undeniable evidence that he is the last prophet.

Please click on the link given below to read the full article,

A holy book that was carried away: The Gospel (Bible) of Barnabas

www.questionsonislam.com

Let there be no question unanswered...

Gospel of Barnabas?  I guess there is a reason why that didn't make it into the Cannon of the Bible by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit!

No information to back up your claim that Jesus referred to muhammad as "O muhammad" before he was born (nor can you because he wasn't even born yet!).  So we can throw that claim out as well.

Jesus is the Light of the World.  He is the gate by which we need to enter through.  All others are false.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2010 - 2:11PM #3
Ron_T

The Gospel of Barnabas, often confused with the (A.D. 70 - 90) Epistle of Barnabas was believed to be written sometime after A.D. 1400.

The Gospel of Barnabas writes that Jesus did not calim that He was the Messiah and also states that he did not die on the cross. These claims are refuted by verified first century documents.

The earliest known Muslim references to this work did not appear until some time in the 15th century.

This Gospel not only contradicts the Christian Bible, but the Koran as well. The Koran refers the Jesus as the Messiah. (suras 5:19, 75)

RonT

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 12:11PM #4
BDboy

Hi. I am new here but I was interested with the topic. We often discussed them in Islam forums. As Jesus son of Mary is an important figure of Islam as well.

I can see why some of my Christian friends do not want to consider the "Gospel of Barnabas". They are not familier with this one.

However some scholars has shown a close connection between these two Abrahamic faiths. Please visit the following article.

Muhummed THE NATURAL SUCCESSOR TO
Christ

Shalom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 12:56PM #5
Xapisma

I could be mistaken here, but is this the Traditional Christianity board? Or is this the Christian - Islam Debate board?

The so-called gospel of Barnabus, being a 12thC fake, is not part of the Christian canon, and therefore does not hold any authority for us. I suppose we could cook up a new sura claiming that Mohammad was baptized by the Patriarch of Constantinople, and therefore all his followers are *really* Christians and just don't know it. That would make just as much sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 8:20AM #6
BDboy

Did not intend to debate here. Intention was to discuss and learn new things about each other. More I learn about Islam and Christianity, I am amazed to see connection between all Abrahamic faiths and their common root.

Say: O People of the Scripture![ Jews and Christians] Come to an agreement between us and you: that we shall worship none but Allah, and that we shall ascribe no partner unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside Allah. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him).

[ Al Qur'an 3:64]

Actually a large portion of the Qur'an talks about Ahl-al-Kitaab or People of the book ( Jews and Christians). Muslims are encouraged to speak, find common grounds with these faith communities.

Topic discussed here are very much related and Muslims often discuss/debate about the same sets of topic among themselves.

Jesus and our spiritual monther "Mary" are honored and loved by all Muslims. Click here to see what it says.

So, let us discuss and learn about each other. Here I spent good amount of time discuss/debate with Christians, Hindus, Atheists, Jews and many faith groups. At the end my understanding and compassion for humanityh increased.

.....Not a bad thing. ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2010 - 9:10AM #7
Xapisma

Very well then. provided that we do, in fact, discuss our common beliefs/features, and not try to make this into an attempt at mutual conversion. >grin<

While I am a dyed in the wool Christian, I am also a student of religion (I taught a 300 level college course on comparative religion a few years ago.) I likely know more about Islam than the average Christian in the US, but I would by no means call myself an expert.

Apart from the fact that we all harken back to the same God of Abraham, what do we have in common? (I have a few ideas, but I want to hear what you have to say first.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 5:37PM #8
BDboy

You are right. Since Islam also came from Abrahamic root, there are a lot of similarities.

Specially if you go by scriptures, you will find Islam is very close to spirit of Christianity. We run into problem when Muslims see something in the scriptures but do not see modern Christians practice it. As a teacher of religion, you know Christianity has so many sects among them that even Christians do not agree on fundamental issues.

Actually there is a nice verse in the Qur'an about Christians.

........and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find those who say, "We are Christians": because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant.

[ Source: Al Qur'an 5:82]

There are issues among Catholics and Protestants {They do not accept several books of the old Bible as authentic}. Even if you go by the most popular King James Bible, there are some difference between what it says and what is in practice.

By no means I claim that, all Muslims follow the Qur'an perfectly, but they do not disagree on fundamental issues. Even non practicing Muslims do not disagree that, Qur'an is the authentic book of God [ And preserved error free]. The word "Fundamental Muslim" is not a bad word among Muslims with knowledge of scriptures. Because fundamental Muslims would not do some of the unsavory things we see some ignorant Muslims do now a days.

For example I have discussed about the "Concept of God" in the light of scriptures here[ Long time ago]. But more I read the Bible, I see it is more similar to the Qur'an, which rejects the concept of trinity in clear terms but agrees a great deal with the OT and NT. For example, Qur'an confirms Jesus was born without any earthly father.

Christians and Jews are recongnized as "people of the book" to Muslims and almost 33% of the Qur'an talks to or talks about people of the book.

Another interesting fact about the Qur'an. To non-Muslims Qur'an is work of Muhammad (PBUH). To Muslims it is preserved "Word of God". In this book the name "Jesus" was mentioned 25 times but the name "Muhammad" appeared only 4 times. The Qur'an praised and mentioned all "Jewish" messenger of God but "Allegedly" it was written by an non-Jewish Arab. Most of my non-Muslims friends are amazed when I share this information with them.

Looking forward to hear your comments. .....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 12:06AM #9
Xapisma

One fundamental difference I see is in how we each view our Scriptures. Correct me if I am mistaken, but Muslims see the Qur'an as dictated verbatim to the Prophet, such that each word is holy and inviolate.

A few among Christians are Biblical literalists (I once was) but more thoughtful and learned Christians know that the Hebrew Scriptures (the Old Testament) and the New Testament were not all dictated from God's lips to the writers pen. These texts are no less sacred and authoritative for us, than the Qur'an is to Islam. But for us it is not the very words themselves that are important, but the God to whom the words point. Thus, while we revere the words, memorize them and "write them on our hearts", printed copies of the Bible are books. The sacred message contained in the Bible is not lost or harmed if some nutjob decides he wants to burn one, or a whole pile of them. It would be a waste of paper and ink, but would fall short of being sacrilege. As it says in the Book, "be not easily offended."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 12:12AM #10
Xapisma

And you are right that there are many sects among Christians, for which I am sure God's heart is broken. Jesus prayed what Biblical scholars call the "High Priestly Prayer" (John 17) just before the arrest and trial, that those who follow Him might be one. Yet we, in our folly and error have divided. But we do yet hold to a common core of faith which holds us together. We have argue among ourselves, but it remains, for most of us, a family debate. (If you look around on the Christian to Christian debate board, you will find that these can get quite heated sometimes.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook