Switch to Forum Live View Are there certain denominations that fit progressive christians more than others?
4 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2010 - 2:41PM #1
Kbach67

While I might be able to come to terms with the fact that I don't believe a lot of the main ideas that many denominations believe in (bible being THE world of God to be interpreted literally etc), I think it would be easier to raise my children in a church without so much dogma etc.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2010 - 10:23PM #2
Stardove

I believe so and several were named on the other thread. 

One thing I liked about Unity Church was the children and teens had their own church, Children's Church and YOU.  They did not attend the services the adults did.  One of my daughters became a Youth of Unity Junior Sponsor after she was out of high school and attending college.  She met her husband at a YOU Bi-Reggie Rally where YOUs from all over the region gathered together when she was a senior in high school.  He lived in another town.

Thirteen years later they are married and had their first child almost 9 months ago.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2010 - 10:54PM #3
Kbach67

Thanks.  I asked again because the other post mentioned several denominations that do have a lot of dogma (or at least the particular churches I attended did.)  I've attended Southern Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and several non denominational.  All of them had children's churches and all taught literal translation of the bible.  The Methodist seemed to be the most laid back.  I haven't attended Unity and will look into that.  I guess I was wondering if any actually tolerated the idea that the bible isn't literal or if people just attend and don't mention that they disagree.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 11:45PM #4
Stardove

When I went to the first Unity Church I ever attended I would say I got my PMA for the week...positive mental attitude. 

The Unity Churches I've attended taught more about how to live our lives today with love rather than lecturing on what this and that scripture means.

We were taught Jesus came to be our great example of how to live our lives.  They do not preach we are born in sin and must be saved.  No alter calls were given.  All services ended with the Peace Song, Let There Be Peace On Earth.

From the Unity site:

If you're one of the “spiritual but not religious” people who  questions your childhood faith or is looking for something more, this  Web site may feel like a homecoming. 

You may be one of the millions of people who have embarked on their own  spiritual path. If so, you have just discovered a whole community of  people like yourself. It is Unity – a spiritual movement that honors all  paths to God; sees God as good and everywhere present; and affirms the  spark of Divinity in all of us. Unity also offers a positive, practical,  progressive approach to Christianity, regarding Jesus as the great  example rather than the great exception. Unity interprets the Bible  metaphysically rather than literally. Have you ever imagined that the  Bible could be the story of your own life? It is just one of the tools  available for powerful personal transformation

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2010 - 11:39AM #5
Iwantamotto

I've never attended a Unity church.  However, my brother and I saw a commercial where another church had a bouncer, dismissing this and that "undesirable".  Then the Unity Church freely welcomed everyone.  We've never forgotten that imagery, but I think the closest one is in Dallas, and since my brother and I believe the divine presence isn't something you need a building to tap into, it's not worth the drive.  However, I tend to sympathize with their notions. :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2010 - 3:04PM #6
Stardove

Jul 28, 2010 -- 11:39AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I've never attended a Unity church.  However, my brother and I saw a commercial where another church had a bouncer, dismissing this and that "undesirable".  Then the Unity Church freely welcomed everyone.  We've never forgotten that imagery, but I think the closest one is in Dallas, and since my brother and I believe the divine presence isn't something you need a building to tap into, it's not worth the drive.  However, I tend to sympathize with their notions. :)

The larger Unity of Dallas on Forrest Lane is the first Unity I attended when the founder Dr. Don Curtis was there.  We drove about 25 miles to and from the church for years.  Dr. Don was great.

I began reading a 26 years old book by Don Curtis back in 1987, Your Thoughts Can Change Your Life, the night before a friend came over and began talking about his recent visit to a Unity Church.

Turned out Dr. Don was no longer in CA, not in the same denomination when he wrote the book years before.  If not for my friend being drugged to church and his telling me about it I  most likely would not have ever known Dr. Don had a church in Dallas.  I had read the night before from his book, Nothing happens by chance,  so of course I went the next Sunday and loved the experience.

I remember saying to my friend as he talked about the minister, Is his name Don Curtis?  He replied, You know Dr. Don?  Nope, but I began reading a book he wrote many years ago last night.

RIP Dr. Don

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 2:07PM #7
Jupiter6208

Jul 28, 2010 -- 11:39AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

The Commercial you seen with the bouncer was a Commercial for the United Church of Christ. 

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 6:04PM #8
MsTopaz

While there are some mainstream denominations that tend to be more progressive (Episcopal, Evangelical Lutheran Church in American, United Church of Christ, some United Methodist), it really depends on the particular church. There are extremely conservative churches in all of these denominations.

I can usually tell from the website but I've been fooled before. One United Methodist church said, "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors" on their website and then when I attended services, the senior pastor's tone exhibited none of those things. That was my last visit to that particular church.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook