4 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2010 - 12:22AM #1
Jupiter6208

Hello everyone I have been interested in Taoism for some time and i have read Tao Te Ching my question is how does one apply or practice  Taoism in their everyday lives and is meditation involved? and how close is Taoism to Buddhism and any book advise would be appreciated. 

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2010 - 6:40PM #2
Gingersnapwa

One way that I try to practice Taoism is to remember the interconnectedness & sacredness of the earth and all beings, and to treat them with respect. Some books that I recommend are Wayne Dyer's "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life" and "The Tao of Inner Peace" by Diane Dreher. I participate in a local group that has a monthly discussion of the Tao Teh Ching. And, I go to a weekly meditation group at my Unitarain Universalist church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2010 - 6:50PM #3
Seagull84

Most Taoists are not organized nor would even refer to themselves as Taoists.  Taoism is simply a way of life, and the beauty of it is that you can adhere to the practice however you feel best.  Live simply.

There are some interesting ways to help yourself be more in tune with the Tao: Martial arts, meditation, tai chi, etc... but none of them are "required" practices, nor recognized as wholly Taoist.

I practice Kung Fu and have conversations with my peers and the SiFu regularly.  We discuss balance, personal discipline, but we never speak of faith or specific beliefs related to the practice of a religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 5:52PM #4
Eisenhans

Jul 24, 2010 -- 12:22AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Hello everyone I have been interested in Taoism for some time and i have read Tao Te Ching my question is how does one apply or practice  Taoism in their everyday lives and is meditation involved? and how close is Taoism to Buddhism and any book advise would be appreciated.

How does one apply and practice Taoism in everyday life?  By first learning it.  This cannot be done without a Taoism teacher.

Meditation may be involved for some specific purpose, but we Taoists don't just sit around alot (as the buddhists do).

How close is Taoism to buddhism?  It's the difference between drinking water and drinking bleach.  Not that close, haha!  One gives you better life; the other takes life from you.

No list of books to give; they are all new-agey or buddhisty anyway, not Taoist.

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 10:19PM #5
Mak_jo_si

May 4, 2011 -- 5:52PM, Eisenhans wrote:

Jul 24, 2010 -- 12:22AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

How does one apply and practice Taoism in everyday life?  By first learning it.  This cannot be done without a Taoism teacher.

Meditation may be involved for some specific purpose, but we Taoists don't just sit around alot (as the buddhists do).

How close is Taoism to buddhism?  It's the difference between drinking water and drinking bleach.  Not that close, haha!  One gives you better life; the other takes life from you.

No list of books to give; they are all new-agey or buddhisty anyway, not Taoist.

Eisenhans

Water and bleach?  LOL!  That's a good example you gave there!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook