Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is there a place for Christians who reject the supernatural aspects of Christianity?
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 10:57PM #1
Jrhawkeye

For those who value the teachings of the parables, etc. without the virgin birth and rising from the dead, etc?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 4:08PM #2
Stardove

Jul 10, 2010 -- 10:57PM, Jrhawkeye wrote:

For those who value the teachings of the parables, etc. without the virgin birth and rising from the dead, etc?

Jrhawkeye,

Just my opinion since I do not speak for all Progressive Christians, but I believe for most Progressives it doesn't matter.  I do not take many parts of the Bible as literal.  Just like Jesus is said to have spoken in parables, many Bible stories are allegories as far as I'm concerned.  We ought to be looking for the meaning to the stories, not take it as the Gospel (no pun intended).

Welcome to the Progressive Christians Forum.  I hope you will enjoy it here and all that Beliefnet offers to it's members.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 3:52PM #3
Reformationnow

Absolutely. Thomas Jefferson found it, as did many of his fellow founding fathers who were Deists --- because while they accepted the core teachings of Jesus they didn't necessarily believe in the claims of some of his followers, and they understood the eternal, universal truths that at the core of all religions.

Today there is a modern Jeffersonian who expands on Jefferson's work, not only with regard to trying to bring about a new reformation of Christianity, but also to bring about a new reformation of government.

Edit: link not availabe site

Moderated by Stardove on Feb 06, 2014 - 03:49PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2010 - 8:03PM #4
Bob_Bennett

I guess it depends on what you mean, in detail, by the 'supernatural aspects'.    I understand that the Holy Spirit sent Jesus to be the Christ Avatar for the cosmic Age of Pisces the fishes, and that his principal role was to bring the new spiritual teachings for that Age.   See John 18:37

At some point during his life, he became an "ascended master" and performing miracles then became natural, as he then had power and mastery over time and space, as do all ascended masters. 

OTH, the Christmas story was probably made up as it was representative of the rewritten bios of most famous men.

I do accept that there was a spiritual awakening that came to be called the resurection, but that it was spiritual rather than physical.  OTH, I seriously doubt that 500, or anyone, rose from their graves and walked thru Jerusalem.  This was most likely added to the story in order to fulfill some old Jewish prophesy so as to make Jesus look like the expected 'Messiah".

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2010 - 8:31PM #5
Stardove

Jul 14, 2010 -- 8:03PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

I do accept that there was a spiritual awakening that came to be called the resurection, but that it was spiritual rather than physical.  OTH, I seriously doubt that 500, or anyone, rose from their graves and walked thru Jerusalem.  This was most likely added to the story in order to fulfill some old Jewish prophesy so as to make Jesus look like the expected 'Messiah".

Since the story of the dead people getting out of their graves and going "to town" is only told in one of the Gospels, I imagine many people have missed it. 

Nor have I ever heard this scripture taught in any church as to the possible meaning.  Literal?  We agree Bob.  Good to see you as always.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2010 - 5:28PM #6
Jenandew7

It's actually quite a normal way of viewing it from a liberal perspective.  All can be challenged:  the virgin birth, the crucifixion, the resurrection and ascension. 

Note that only two of the Gospels have a version of the virgin birth and they differ and so do the geneologies. 

While all four of the Gospels have the crucifixion and resurrection, they all differ as to almost all the details.

On the other hand, I think the Gospels are an amazing and artful way to lead people into the mystery of faith.  Brilliant! 

A.

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 5:11PM #7
Weepingangelofthetrees

I too would consider the meaning when referring to, "Supernatural" as relates in the parables attributed to Yeshua/Jesus.

If one first accepts that creator is omnipotent and Omni-genetic then all things emanating from that power are created from the nature of creator/god. Thus as I see it nothing can be "super" or superior to that natural occurrence.
What may be considered as supernatural is our finite consciousness failing to accept such ocurrences are possible, given those abilities are not present in our human nature.

I think if one first believes a demi-god like the Rabbi Yeshua did exist and teach and heal among the masses of ancient Palestine, they must also recognize he was as he said he was. God incarnate. Thus, if with god all things are possible Jesus was simply channeling through human form the very power that made the world he inhabited and the humans he walked among, possible in the first place. If one believes in god they can't think anything can be super natural to that creator of the natural.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 9:34PM #8
Jrhawkeye

Well, I dont really think of God as a personality or Jesus as a Demi God. Hercules was a Demi God in the Greek stories, so I have trouble apply that term to Jesus.

I would say that I share the view of Arius.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 2:06AM #9
Aussiesoul

Was Jesus born of a virgin or physically rise from the dead? Many Christians see these things as being  literally true. I see them as a way the gospel writers used to convey their belief that in the person of Jesus somehow the human and devine met. Whatever the truth I do not see belief in these supernatural events as being essential to Christian faith. If anything they are a distraction from the things  that truly matter when we look at Jesus life.

Aussiesoul

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2010 - 3:53PM #10
Weepingangelofthetrees

Jul 17, 2010 -- 9:34PM, Jrhawkeye wrote:

Well, I dont really think of God as a personality or Jesus as a Demi God. Hercules was a Demi God in the Greek stories, so I have trouble apply that term to Jesus.

I would say that I share the view of Arius.

I don't see god as an anthropomorphic being. However, Jesus was said to be born of Mary as god incarnate. So, when I refer to him as a Demigod ("Man-God"), it's because Demigod describes someone who's has one parent as mortal human and the other as supreme being or Deity. Making the son of man,  "Man-God". 

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook