Page 5 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Next
Switch to Forum Live View LDS Thoughts, Perspective & Teachings.
4 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2010 - 8:42PM #41
UwishUwereMe

Can't win 'em all, Bill.  But you can use coersion and weighty threatsCool

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 5:27AM #42
Janadele

Jun 20, 2010 -- 5:27PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Thankfully the LDS Missionaries who found me were a credit to their religion, and an example one could emulate.

I'm thankful the people in my ward are a credit to their religion.  In fact, I find their example much more worthy of emulation than that of some people on this board.  Of course, it's a small ward and dirt gets around pretty fast.  It's just that these people don't choose to point fingers or pretend they don't have dirt of their own.

What ward is that Bill?  You llist yourself as an  Agnostic on your profile.  Why the pretence?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 5:59AM #43
BillThinks4Himself

Jun 21, 2010 -- 5:27AM, Janadele wrote:

Jun 20, 2010 -- 5:27PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Thankfully the LDS Missionaries who found me were a credit to their religion, and an example one could emulate.

I'm thankful the people in my ward are a credit to their religion.  In fact, I find their example much more worthy of emulation than that of some people on this board.  Of course, it's a small ward and dirt gets around pretty fast.  It's just that these people don't choose to point fingers or pretend they don't have dirt of their own.

What ward is that Bill?  You llist yourself as an  Agnostic on your profile.  Why the pretence?

Why, Janadele, whatever do you mean?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 7:47AM #44
Janadele

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEsjYm6Av4w&eurl

During a speech at the commencement ceremonies at Brigham Young University - Hawaii, Elder M. Russell Ballard encouraged graduates to join the conversation about Mormonism on the Internet. Elder Ballard is a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The entire video of his speech can be viewed here   newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/e...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 9:03AM #45
Janadele

In the scriptures you will rarely discover a revelation that didn’t come in response to a question. Whenever a question arose and Joseph Smith wasn’t sure of the answer, he approached the Lord, and the results are the wonderful revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants. Often the knowledge Joseph received extended far beyond the original question. That is because not only can the Lord answer the questions we ask but, even more importantly, He can give us answers to questions we should have asked. Let us listen to those answers. 

The missionary effort of the Church is founded upon honest investigators asking heartfelt questions. Inquiry is the birthplace of testimony. Some might feel embarrassed or unworthy because they have searching questions regarding the gospel, but they needn’t feel that way. Asking questions isn’t a sign of weakness; it’s a precursor of growth. 

God commands us to seek answers to our questions (see James 1:5–6) and asks only that we seek “with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ” (Moroni 10:4). When we do so, the truth of all things can be manifested to us “by the power of the Holy Ghost” (Moroni 10:5). 

Fear not; ask questions. Be curious, but doubt not! Always hold fast to faith and to the light you have already received. Because we see imperfectly in mortality, not everything is going to make sense right now. In fact, I should think that if everything did make sense to us, it would be evidence that it had all been made up by a mortal mind. Remember that God has said: 

“My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways. … 

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:8–9). 

Nevertheless, you know that one of the purposes of mortality is to become more like your Heavenly Father in your thoughts and in your ways. Viewed from this perspective, searching for answers to your questions can bring you closer to God, strengthening your testimony instead of shaking it. It’s true that “faith is not … a perfect knowledge” (Alma 32:21), but as you exercise your faith, applying gospel principles every day under any circumstances, you will taste the sweet fruits of the gospel, and by this fruit you will know of its truth (see Matthew 7:16–20; John 7:17; Alma 32:41–43).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 9:54AM #46
UwishUwereMe
Janadele, are you really this ignorant and nasty???  Do people in your ward really know how wicked you are coming on here and just judging and bashing the bejesus out of people? 

Have you refered your Bishop, SP, RS Pres, and all of your friends in the Church to read your posts... and then get standing ovations in Church?

You are a VERY nasty person.  Let's hope someone hasn't already offed themselves after reading how critical and obtuse you are. 

You are one VERY unhappy person.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 11:18AM #47
Janadele
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 11:33AM #48
Janadele

Years ago, I wondered over the scriptural imagery of angels waiting “day and night” for “the great command” to come down and reap the tares in a wicked and suffering world; it seemed rather eager to me. See D&C 38:12; D&C 86:5 Given such massive, needless human suffering, I don’t wonder anymore!

Even so, the final reaping will occur only when the Father determines that the world is “fully ripe.” D&C 86:7   Meanwhile, brothers and sisters, the challenge is surviving spiritually in a deteriorating “wheat and tares” world. See D&C 86:7

Granted, occasionally a few defectors or dissidents may try to vex us as they hyperventilate over their particular concerns, but it is the engulfing effects of that deteriorating world on Church members which is the “clear and present danger.” “Evils and designs” really do operate through “conspiring [individuals] in the last days.” D&C 89:4 The Lord has even announced, “Behold, the enemy is combined.” D&C 38:12

Yet we must not be intimidated or lose our composure even though the once morally unacceptable is becoming acceptable, as if frequency somehow conferred respectability!

One of the most subtle forms of intimidation is the gradual normalization of aberration. Alexander Pope so cautioned:

Vice is a monster of so frightful mien, 
As, to be hated, needs but to be seen; 
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, 
We first endure, then pity, then embrace. 
(An Essay on Man, epistle i, l. 217.)

Today, lust openly parades as love, license cleverly poses as liberty, and raucous sounds mockingly masquerade as music. Evil even calls itself good and often gets away with it!

Elder Neal A. Maxwell
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

See above link. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 11:38AM #49
UwishUwereMe
WOW, you are one twisted (explative deleted).

You are right, I am the emeny.  Janadele, why are you such a bitter nasty b*tch?  Why?  You are one sick person.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 11:39AM #50
Janadele

(cont from previous link)

Elder Neal A. Maxwell
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

Even during these difficult times, members “armed with righteousness” can do so many things. (1 Ne. 14:14.) We can have love at home, even though the love of many waxes cold in the world. (See Matt. 24:12.) We can have inner peace even though peace has been taken from the earth. (See D&C 1:35.)

We can keep the seventh commandment even though others break it and mock it. We can render individualized, humanitarian service even though the mass of human suffering seems so overwhelming.

We can use our tongues to speak the truth in love, while refusing to use them to bear false witness. (See Eph. 4:15; Ex. 20:16.) We can stand fast “in holy places” even though in the world “all things shall be in commotion.” (D&C 45:32; D&C 88:91.)

We can reach for “hands which hang down,” even if some refuse our proffered hands of friendship. (D&C 81:5.) We can hold to the iron rod even if others slip away and a few end up mocking us from “the great and spacious building.” (1 Ne. 8:26–28.)

Like Nephi, we may not always know the meaning of things happening to us or around us. Nevertheless, like Nephi, we can still know that God loves us! (See 1 Ne. 11:17.)

Yes, “the enemy is combined,” but when we are combined with the Lord’s “chariots of fire,” then “they that be with us are more than they that be with them”! (2 Kgs. 6:16–17.) 

Furthermore, the divine promise is that no weapon formed against the Lord’s work shall finally prosper; this “is the heritage of the servants of the Lord.” (Isa. 54:17; D&C 71:9.) I so assure; I so testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook