4 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2010 - 10:03AM #1
Sheraluv

Salam-alaikum,

I have converted to Islam as of last night and my muslim name is now Haniah.

Feels wonderful.

Thankyou

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2010 - 12:56PM #2
visio

>Wa'alaikum salaam wrhmtllh, sister.
Thank you for letting us know.   Congratulation!  It seems that you've made your past dream come true.  Always pray and supplicate to ALLAH for His guidance and He is the ultimate of all guidance, to make things easier for all of us to go thru this life and the herafter.  I wouldn't be surprised if you had made this as a pre-determined choice in your last Covenant.   And ALLAH worked it out to remind you in your dream.  Who knows - during this challenging time for all Muslims, you'll make a better Muslims than many of us born Muslims.  And like what the Al-Quran says, and what Prophet Ibrahim did -  pray also for ALLAH's forgiveness of the parents/family  and their well-being, irrespective whether they are Muslims or not.  Take care and just remember that there is only 1 Al-Quran and 1 Islam.  All the best to you.
Salaam. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2010 - 3:45PM #3
Ceren

Salam sister and welcome to Islam! All praise be to God!

Just remember that, while you are more then allowed to change your name to an Arab name, all names are "Muslim names", be them english names, or spanish names, or french names.

Changing your name when you convert is not encouraged (or discouraged) in Islam but if you did decide to choose an Arab name you are obviously allowed.

All the best!

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 8:33AM #4
Abdullah.

Welcome Sister!; may ALlah make it easy for you to practice his relgion!

Salam! Smile

ps: what a beutifull name you chose too; MashALlah! Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 5:09PM #5
Abdullah.

Jun 15, 2010 -- 3:45PM, Ceren wrote:

Just remember that, while you are more then allowed to change your name to an Arab name, all names are "Muslim names", be them english names, or spanish names, or french names.

Hi Sis!

there is a condition for a name to be compatiable with Islam sis; the meaning of the name must have no polythiestic connotations, nor must it have a bad/unpleasant meaning; the Prophet [saw] himself changed names with bad meanings

Changing your name when you convert is not encouraged (or discouraged) in Islam but if you did decide to choose an Arab name you are obviously allowed.

changing a name that is compatiable with Islam [but usually associated with a 'non-Muslim' name], to one that is easily recognisable as a 'Muslim' name, is a praiseworthy act; here's a couple of fatwas that explain it all: 

Many new Muslims choose to adopt a new name when they embrace their Islamic identity.

Changing one's name is praiseworthy but not obligatory.

Unless your name has polytheistic connotations or a bad meaning, then it is perfectly acceptable for you to keep your name.

It is preferable to keep your family name, since Islam places great emphasis on preserving lineage and identifying children by their fathers' names.

Allah Most High says in the Qur'an,

"Proclaim their real parentage. That will be more equitable in the sight of Allah. And if ye know not their fathers, then (they are) your brethren in the faith, and your clients. And there is no sin for you in the mistakes that ye make unintentionally, but what your hearts purpose (that will be a sin for you). Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful."

(Al-Ahzab, 33:5)

There is some merit in changing your first name or adopting a Muslim name, particularly if it's a name of a prophet or has a good meaning, such as Slave of Allah (Abdullah) for example.

The Prophet, peace be upon him, made specific recommendations for names, such as Abdullah and Abdurrahman.

Narrated Jabir:

A boy was born for a man among us, and the man named him Al-Qasim. We said to him, "We will not call you Abu-l-Qasim, nor will we respect you for that." The Prophet was informed about that, and he said, "Name your son 'Abdur-Rahman."

[Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 205]

Whatever decision you make, it's important that it comes from your own conviction

qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=...

Dear Brother,

You are perfectly entitled to keep your name. Ian is a fine name. As long as your name does not carry polytheistic connotations, and is a dignified, respectable name, then there is no problem with keeping your birth name. Don't let your fiance's parents pressure you.

Be polite, but firm, and tell them that you would prefer to keep the name your parents gave you. It needs to be understood that Ian, or John, or Susan, can be every bit as Muslim as Ahmad, Omar, and Aisha. Having an Arabic name does not make you a better Muslim.

As to what the community thinks, they need to give you the benefit of the doubt, instead of jumping to conclusions because you have a European name.

May Allah bless your marriage. And Allah knows best.

- Umm Salah (Zaynab Ansari)

Editor notes: It is praiseworthy (not obligatory) to adopt a Muslim name, but the choice of whether and when to do returns to the person themselves, and they should not feel pressured to do so simply because of what people say.

qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 5:59PM #6
Sheraluv

Thankyou for the info, I do like the name as well. I am comfortable with  it.

Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 7:46PM #7
Ceren

Jun 16, 2010 -- 5:09PM, Abdullah. wrote:

There is a condition for a name to be compatiable with Islam sis; the meaning of the name must have no polythiestic connotations, nor must it have a bad/unpleasant meaning; the Prophet [saw] himself changed names with bad meanings

Well yes of course, but in general English names do not bear polytheistic or unpleasant meanings... so it's a moot point.

changing a name that is compatiable with Islam [but usually associated with a 'non-Muslim' name], to one that is easily recognisable as a 'Muslim' name, is a praiseworthy act; here's a couple of fatwas that explain it all: 

Many new Muslims choose to adopt a new name when they embrace their Islamic identity.

Changing one's name is praiseworthy but not obligatory. 

Islam was here in this earth before prophet Mohammad and after prophet Mohammad. And it was meant for all cultures of all times.

People at the time of the prophet did not change their names when they converted (unless their names were in meaning against Islam). The prophet himself did never say that changing your name was praiseworthy. So I do not find much merit in this bid`a of changing one's name to an Arab name.

We as western converts have a duty to da`wah and to spread Islam in our culture. Changing to arab names, saying "shukran" instead of "thank you", "akhi", instead of "brother" is not the way to go.

In addition, Islam places great importance on pleasing and respecting one's parents and I know that most western parents would feel hurt if their child changed their name.

We are not Arabs, most prophets of Islam were not arabs, there's nothing superior about Arab culture. We are Muslim. We are of all colors and of all languages and our names reflect that beautiful diversity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 8:41PM #8
Sheraluv

I appreciate everyones opinions and they are all good,thankyou!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 4:55PM #9
IDBC

Howdy Abdullah

Jun 16, 2010 -- 7:46PM, Ceren wrote:

There is a condition for a name to be compatiable with Islam sis; the meaning of the name must have no polythiestic connotations, nor must it have a bad/unpleasant meaning; the Prophet [saw] himself changed names with bad meanings

Well yes of course, but in general English names do not bear polytheistic or unpleasant meanings... so it's a moot point. 

On a somewhat divirgent note, many if not most of the days of the week and months of the years have polytheistic and pagan origins.  Should a Muslim therefore avoid using them?

And what about Muslims with Muslim names like Muhammad, if the revert to Christianity should they change their names? 

Now it is claimed that Arabic "culture" is not superior to any other culture.  But I am not so sure. 

Language is a an vital part of a culture.  And it is my understanding that learning Arabic is an important part of being a Muslim.   It is my understanding that Muslims are urged to learn Arabic.   It is also my understanding that the Quran itself is not considered to be the Quran unless it is in Arabic. 

Is the name "Muhammad" an Arabic name or a Muslim name? 

And what about surnames? 

I still have not been able to find out if the Prophet Muhammad was the very first person to be given that Arabic-Muslim name.  If I remember correctly the name Muhammad means "one who is praised" or "one who is praised by God".  

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook