Switch to Forum Live View How often is it safe?
4 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2010 - 12:22AM #1
ManzanitaBear

How often is it safe to cast a spell?

I suppose that's a question with no absolute right or wrong answer, but it's worth discussing. I've just begun to for-real practice on my own. I did two spells in the last week or so. Both were essentially banishing spells, though I didn't think of it that way at the time. Both... I only realized that when I stopped to think afterward... took place during the waning moon, which I've always heard is the best time for banishing. One in particular had a powerful energetic effect on me. I don't know how relevant this is, but I was menstruating when I did that one... would that have affected the energies?

I don't feel anything I've done so far is harmful. It certainly didn't drain my energies. If anything, I felt invigorated by it. But is there a point at which doing magick too often becomes harmful? Or doing certain kinds of it too often does?

I feel a little bit like how I felt when I experimented with magic mushrooms years ago: the experience was enjoyable and interesting enough that I could see wanting to remain on the trip for a long time. Yet my logical mind (perhaps inspired by fear) tells me it's not a good idea to do this all the time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2010 - 1:33PM #2
Brownowl33

I don't think casting spells drains "energy" per se.  I guess if you tried to do a huge amount of magical workings (especially big-time healings, which some traditions hold to be very draining) you might feel fatigue, but I don't think it's unsafe.  You are also right that the waning moon is the best time to do banishings.

The only risk I can see would be if you started trying to turn to magic for everything in your life.  I consider spellcraft one tool of many available to us, and it has its place right alongside more mundane things (like hard work, dedication, etc.)  Clearly, there are some times when only magic will do; psychic healing, spiritual problems, etc fall into this category.  However, for most issues a more streamlined and run-of-the-mill approach is probably better.  Just don't get carried away to the extent that you start casting spells for every single issue that comes up, and I think you'll be fine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2010 - 8:38PM #3
Litha

I agree with what ChrisSuperstar said about an issue arising if you end up turning to magic for everything in your life. Everything in moderation.

If I may be so bold, however, one thing I would suggest for you is to spend a considerable amount of time in prayer and meditation before you choose to cast a spell. Know very clearly what your intention for casting each spell is. Lacking the knowledge of what kind of spell you are casting, what the intentions in your heart are, and the moon phase in which you are doing it beforehand can be shaky ground to tread on. I only say this because you mentioned it wasn't until after the fact that you realized what you cast were banishing spells and that they were during a waning moon. 

Casting is not an impulsive, "fly by the seat of your pants" type of activity, and should not be taken lightly. I say this with only love in my heart, because in my early studies I created negative Karmic attachment simply by taking the act of casting lightly and failing to have clearly defined intentions. 

As far as casting while menstruating goes, I haven't yet heard of any significance to it. Many love spells or spells with the purpose of binding a person or object to you involve menstrual blood, but depending on what type of witchcraft you practice and how much experience you have, spells which infringe on another's will may or may not be frowned upon. 

Hope this helped, many Blessings on your journey!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 10:02PM #4
ManzanitaBear

Jul 22, 2010 -- 8:38PM, Litha wrote:

If I may be so bold, however, one thing I would suggest for you is to spend a considerable amount of time in prayer and meditation before you choose to cast a spell. Know very clearly what your intention for casting each spell is. Lacking the knowledge of what kind of spell you are casting, what the intentions in your heart are, and the moon phase in which you are doing it beforehand can be shaky ground to tread on. I only say this because you mentioned it wasn't until after the fact that you realized what you cast were banishing spells and that they were during a waning moon.

That would be sound advice if I really did what you apparently think I did, and what my wording probably made it sound like I did. But it's not true that I didn't have the intent beforehand. The real truth is that I didn't think of the spell as banishing because I didn't use the word banishing to describe it. I did intend to clear out some stumbling blocks, which, if you think about it, is essentially the same thing as banishing something.

I didn't consciously remember what phase the moon was in when I started the spell, but I'm sure I knew unconsciously. I pay attention to where the moon is in its cycle, and on most days, I can say whether the moon is new, full, waxing, or waning, if I stop and think for a minute. I just did not consciously think of that when I started the ritual. I did it because it felt right to do it then.

So I didn't verbally articulate beforehand that I was doing a banishing spell during a waning moon, but I did intuit that. I intuitively knew it was the right time to do that work.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook