Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Wicca in the Shallow End?
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 4:08PM #21
TheWhiteHart

I'm not entirely sure, IP. After all, most of us only reach one or two people at a time. Even here. The larger community will likely go on as it is. Sure, someone knowledgable can write a book... and there are a few good ones out there, but even with these, there is only so much you can do to lead a horse to water (to use an old metaphor).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 7:57PM #22
KeaErisdottir

Jun 16, 2010 -- 3:49PM, Innerpoint wrote:

You're right... in the Traditionalist view, the answer Kea proposed is the correct one.  You're also right in seeking to gather further opinions... but, after that, is there anything that can be done about it?

Personally, I think that getting sucked in an spat out by al the feces out there is the best sorting method we have for weeding out the chaff in terms of Traditional training, and thus as the more part of the people getting their religion from the internet head to the Kiddie Pool of religion, it allows the ones who have more depth to really begin the process of Seeking.  In this way, it has not net effect on BTW, because esoteric teachings require a greater depth of spirit and teachability than people doing the cut-and-paste from their browsers.

All you can do is wait and see who pops up after they've had their resolve tried and tested, and take it from there.  Means no net change for BTW.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 8:22PM #23
Innerpoint

Jun 16, 2010 -- 4:08PM, TheWhiteHart wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, IP. After all, most of us only reach one or two people at a time. Even here. The larger community will likely go on as it is. Sure, someone knowledgable can write a book... and there are a few good ones out there, but even with these, there is only so much you can do to lead a horse to water (to use an old metaphor).

I agree... and I understand.  Sometimes the horse would prefer milk and honey, yes?  Wicca entails a lot of work.  There's very few who are willing to make the effort - and of the ones that are, Wicca isn't always the right path for them.  Still, this isn't directly addressing the internet, the information put before people here, and how they use it and understand it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 8:41PM #24
Innerpoint

Jun 16, 2010 -- 7:57PM, KeaErisdottir wrote:

Personally, I think that getting sucked in an spat out by al the feces out there is the best sorting method we have for weeding out the chaff in terms of Traditional training, and thus as the more part of the people getting their religion from the internet head to the Kiddie Pool of religion, it allows the ones who have more depth to really begin the process of Seeking.  In this way, it has not net effect on BTW, because esoteric teachings require a greater depth of spirit and teachability than people doing the cut-and-paste from their browsers.

All you can do is wait and see who pops up after they've had their resolve tried and tested, and take it from there.  Means no net change for BTW.

BTW will continue as it always has.  There are enough of us who take our religion seriously to make sure that continues, still, for a while.  I alluded to a story about YouTube in one of my responses to Brother Fada and, while the entire story is more apt for another thread, I will say here that one of the members of the local Pagan group here, is most prolific at placing videos there - distorting anything and everything he's ever heard.  It has really made me angry to hear something that Myst and I have tried to explain to these idiots seekers paraphrased in such a way that it is practically incomprehensible - and stated in such a way that makes others think he's speaking excathedra for the whole of Wicca and Pagandom.  In the past, on the old boards, we've had discussions similar to this... and I don't think anything has changed, yet.  I'm not sure that it ever will, given the way that our religion and teachings work.  While we might be able to find all the garbage on the 'net being presented as Wicca, is there anything that we can really replace it with owing to the vows that we've each taken?  This is, indeed, a conundrum that actually places Traditionalists in a poor light, especially when 'henny-penny' is being vocal about what they 'know' - but, again, what is to be done - if anything?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2010 - 8:45AM #25
BrotherFada

What role?  This can surely be a conundrum, but my guess is that each will respond reflective of their own character.  What impact might this have on BTW?  This depends I suppose on what one means by ‘impact’.  It could influence in what light BTWs are seen by those practicing “downloadable wicca”, but I’m not sure if that really matters.  We who are oath bound must not feel challenged to place that at risk.

I wouldn’t use a term like ‘kiddie pool’ because I feel it to be derogatory.  At the same time, paths have to have a beginning.  I think if we all looked back upon our first steps, we would not see ourselves as developed to the same point as we are now.  Perhaps in the future, this current point may be viewed in the same manner.  It is my belief that one grows, matures and evolves in Wicca.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook