Switch to Forum Live View Practicing Shinto Outside Japan
5 years ago  ::  May 10, 2010 - 7:27PM #1
Toris_lorinaitis

Although I don't follow Shinto, it has a great deal of influence on my beliefs and my writing. Currently, I'm planning a novel in which the main character is a follower of Shinto living in the US. I'm curious to know how you practice Shinto, how your beliefs impact your daily life, and what it's like following a religion few know about, let alone understand. I don't mean to pry into anything too personal or private, but I would like to be able to have my character be a good representation of the Shinto community outside Japan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2010 - 4:49PM #2
Katsuninken

If this isn't too late to serve your purposes, probably the best way to go about this would be to post a survey or questionnaire type of thing, because otherwise we could all go on for days and still not tell you what you need to know. Such a thing is so broad and diverse as to be really difficult to respond to neatly and succinctly. When I have done this kind of thin in the past, it has been though interview format, and that seemed to work well.

There is no Shinto shrine anywhere near where I live, and as far as I am aware I am the only practitioner here, so all of my rites and festivals are pretty much celebrated alone. I do have a few things that I have been able to share with others, like the mailing of nengajo to people for Oshogatsu, but for the most part, it's just me doing my thing. I have visited a shrine exactly once, just because I happened to be in Hawaii anyway.

If you are interested, here is a post about how I celebrated Oshogatsu last year, to give you an idea of how I celebrate our big holiday.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook