Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Does It Really Matter?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 10:03PM #11
Nonchristianheaven

Does G-d need humans to believe in G-d?

If there is a G-d...

Does that mean we have to worship?

We assume we have to find the G-d...

If you find G-d, then everyone argues on which one you found.

People are not happy just to find G-d, then it becomes a battle on who has the right idea of G-d.

I really wonder why...if there is a G-d, why would G-d mess with humans that are on such a low level of awareness and intelligence?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2011 - 3:55PM #12
Kingdom_Walk

It does matter because the creation gets to better understand it's purpose in existence from it's creator.  We all are best served understanding our purpose by dialouging with our creator through prayer.  Praying is easy, don't let anyone tell you that it is not.  You just close your eyes, talk out loud, ask questions and than quietly listen attentively.  At first your own mind may drive your thoughts, but eventually you come into a more peaceful space and feel like you are getting fresher thoughts that aren't driven by your agenda and that is God communicating with you.  Try it!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2011 - 10:51PM #13
Tigress42

...its all hard to say really - i was agnostic myself but am currently on a pagan path, figuring things out still....

i think the concept of god(s) or the devine matters to most people because they want something to believe in thats higher/more than themselves, that there is a goal other than money and family...that life and the universe has a purpose, that sometime happens to us or our souls after death.

in some cases religion is a way for people to explain the random and sometimes otherwise unexplainable events in out lives, gives us sometime to go to for guidence when all else is lost...

does it matter what the devine is called? not really, each system is legitimate in its own right, to those that follow it so theres really no use in having wars over something that no one can prove/disprove...

i too more or less think of the divine as in all/most of nature and that we/the universe is all connected atleast in some small way....um...yeah - thats my little rant for the night...too tired etc to read other replys and reply to them

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Nov 21, 2012 - 3:24PM #14
BillThinks4Himself

Does mattering or not mattering matter?  I think it does.

If there is no God, there's no reason to do so many of the stupid, time-wasting, soul-sucking things people do in the name of religion.

If there is a God, and all religion has to offer has made you wonder how a Supreme Being could be associated with any of the taco-stand theologies that have popped up like mushrooms after a rain, maybe that's your answer.  If God exists, he's better than the cartoon theologies erected in his name.

Having come to realize that you are smarter, and more sensitive, than the slop that has been set before you to quench your thirst or fill your belly, you are free to continue your path unmolested by the carnival barkers, the snake oil salesmen and the hopelessly lost.

And having posted this, I break the curse that stopped the agnostic forum, a forum that ought to be among the most active on Beliefnet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Oct 10, 2013 - 12:02AM #15
Fritzb43

I think we all agree that an agnostic doesn't know whether there is a god or not. Then what do you call a person who doesn't *care* whether there is a god or not?

It's probable that there are many people around the world who hold this view. I'm sure many here in the USA take this position, but are afraid to speak out because of peer pressure and/or public chastisement.

I'd really like to know the percentage of the population who believe in nothing and say nothing. I'll bet it's way higher than anyone can imagine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Oct 13, 2013 - 12:45AM #16
JCarlin

Oct 10, 2013 -- 12:02AM, Fritzb43 wrote:

I think we all agree that an agnostic doesn't know whether there is a god or not. Then what do you call a person who doesn't *care* whether there is a god or not?

It's probable that there are many people around the world who hold this view. I'm sure many here in the USA take this position, but are afraid to speak out because of peer pressure and/or public chastisement.

I'd really like to know the percentage of the population who believe in nothing and say nothing. I'll bet it's way higher than anyone can imagine.

A person who doesn't care is generally considered an atheist.  Both by atheists and by religious types. 

At this point many are speaking out, but for most it isn't really necessary as nobody much cares anymore outside of small communities with a dominant religious tradition. Most theists don't know the difference between an agnostic and an atheist, and don't care.  If you don't go to their church it doesn't really matter what church you go to or none for that matter. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 months ago  ::  Oct 15, 2013 - 8:37AM #17
Fritzb43

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you. The problem is that I often don't agree with *me*. Some days I'm an atheist, other days I am an agnostic and now and then I am back to being a mildly guilt-ridden lapsed Catholic.

And that's the nature of my ongoing religious crisis: what I am on any given day depends just as much on the weather or what I had for breakfast as anything else.

I was trained in the sciences, and rule #1 in that club is: Do not rule *anything* out unless and until you can prove (and reproduce the proof) that a given hypothesis can absolutely be ruled out. In religio-spiritual matters this is, by definition, not possible. (Yet.)

So the inner turmoil continues. And now I'm getting to the age where it would *really* be comforting to know one way or the other: is this all there is?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 months ago  ::  Jan 30, 2014 - 10:49PM #18
BillThinks4Himself

I disagree with the statement that a person who doesn't care is an atheist.  A person who doesn't care is an apatheist.  Theists believe in God; atheists don't; agnostics don't know if anybody can know; igtheists don't think the question can be answered because the term, "God," is incongruent, incoherent or so lacking in shared meaning as to make any debate pointless.  Apatheists either don't think it matters or don't feel it matters to them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook