Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 9:29AM #1
Jupiter6208

I have to agree

www.uuworld.org/life/articles/158390.sht...

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 2:38PM #2
Jcarlinbn

Please give a brief synopsis of what you agree with.  We can't discuss with a website.

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 04, 2010 - 4:46PM #3
Jupiter6208

i agree with what Mr. Morales is stating in the article i have posted. what else do you need ?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 12:04PM #4
Jcarlinbn

May 4, 2010 -- 4:46PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

i agree with what Mr. Morales is stating in the article i have posted. what else do you need ? 

Assume I am too lazy to read the article, but am interested in discussing current UU thinking.  Are there a couple of points in the article that you think are important to discuss?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 10:44PM #5
RevDorris

The prime quote of the article.

"I think the difference is religion. Really. Religion. The key to the future for every single congregation and for Unitarian Universalism as a movement is whether we can “get religion.” If we “get religion” we will thrive. We will touch lives and change the world. If we don’t, we will decline."

Focusing on what we love, is how he defined religion.

If the UUA does not focus on love, love of humanity and love of God, it will decline.  If the UUA gets this religion it will touch lives and change the world.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 12:00PM #6
Jcarlinbn

May 5, 2010 -- 10:44PM, RevDorris wrote:

The prime quote of the article.

"I think the difference is religion. Really. Religion. The key to the future for every single congregation and for Unitarian Universalism as a movement is whether we can “get religion.” If we “get religion” we will thrive. We will touch lives and change the world. If we don’t, we will decline."

Focusing on what we love, is how he defined religion.

If the UUA does not focus on love, love of humanity and love of God, it will decline.  If the UUA gets this religion it will touch lives and change the world.

The successful UU churches I have attended focused on religion in the old sense of binding together.  Taking an admittedly odd collection of theists, ex-anythings, atheists, new agers, and sundry others and finding a way to create a community from them.  Love is basic, but the community must be more than love of ____.  It is what we think about, what we find important and unifying, it is what creates the we.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 1:26PM #7
Thomasina-eve-

It is an important challenge that Peter is giving.  The question though is not just saying yeah he is right but, more what are we going to do about it?   Yes, there are some UU churches that do this right but, what of the many that do not?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 4:52PM #8
RevDorris

Then the questions remain:

What is the UUA as a whole and as individual churches going to do to bind together as a unit or family? 

What is the religion of the UUA going to be that will make a difference in the individual communities and the world as a whole? 

What is going to be the driving force to make the UUA a viable entity in the religious and spiritual community?

Many of you are leaders or future leaders within the UUA.  What would you recommend as short and long term solutions to not only stop the decline of the UUA but to make it a living and growing organization?

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 6:55PM #9
Thomasina-eve-

I think a great frist step is this forum.  I joined this Beliefnet after seeing this forum because it seemed to be the answering to what I was looking for.  A way to strength and explore my Unitarian Universalism and keep the fire I get from GA going. 

I usually go into a depression towards the end of GA because I know that when I get back the feelings and excitement I find at GA will go away.  The reason is that the local UU church I go to doesn't have the religon that Peter is talking about.  Which is a problem with UU becasue if the local church doesn't fit it can be a long trip to find one that does.   Unlike say Catholicism in which one area can have twenty or more churches. 

We need also to become more aware that we do have a spritual message to offer and that we are a religion.  There needs to be a spiritual renewal in UUism and for us to stop being the country club church that doesn't say the G word.  Galen (not about to attempt his last name) of All Souls talk about this in his theology class given at the GA in Utah.  That to be spirtual and to discuss theology and God is not something that belongs to just the Fundamentalist Right. 

I think Peter said it best in his campaign slogan "We can be the religion for our times."  We could but, we have a long way to go.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 07, 2010 - 12:33PM #10
Jcarlinbn

Please Welcome Thomasina-eve- 

to the UU boards and to  beliefnet.

Thanks for joining us.

May 6, 2010 -- 1:26PM, Thomasina-eve- wrote:

It is an important challenge that Peter is giving.  The question though is not just saying yeah he is right but, more what are we going to do about it?   Yes, there are some UU churches that do this right but, what of the many that do not? 

I think two things get in the way of doing it right.  

One is the issue of God.  A church where God is a four letter word, will have no we to rally around.  I say this as an atheist who has found atheistic UU churches to be almost uniformily failures by Peter's standards.  A church where God is a mandatory belief might as well forget UU and join the UCC.  The leaven of the non-believer is missing.

The other thing I have found dysfunctional is UU"-".  Either you are a UU with traditions from a former faith, or just go back home and be a liberal"-".

I say these things respectfully as a guest, since they are some of the reasons I no longer identify primarily as a UU.

By the way, any relationship to a good internet friend on the old boards who signed her posts as Thommy? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook