Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 3:27AM #1
Ripper

Dear All,

I have been attracted to Christianity for many  years now. The issue is that I am of a sceptical nature and only really  travel down that path when my life is not so crash hot. Please tell me  how I can develop faith and really take this whole thing seriously? What  is a good first point to practice in order to see if I can be a  Christian?

Regards

H

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 7:45PM #2
Bob_Bennett

Hi,

You might begin by reading the gospels of Luke and then John.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2010 - 11:45AM #3
Eliascomes

Apr 1, 2010 -- 12:54AM, Ripper wrote:

Dear All,

I have been attracted to Christianity for many years now. The issue is that I am of a sceptical nature and only really travel down that path when my life is not so crash hot. Please tell me how I can develop faith and really take this whole thing seriously? What is a good first point to practice in order to see if I can be a Christian?

H

First you must forgive all whom had done wrong to you, I mean all, past, present, and future. And you must understand them from their parents point of view why have they done wrong to you. And you must believe in all what is written in the scriptures, without any doubt. Try your best to follow the O.T. Laws. Don't be part takers to any type of gossip or lies, even though you haven't started it, but you had help passed it on down. These are some of the sacrifices that can help your journey. Once you've shown yourself how serious that you wanted to be with God, you'll start hearing and seeing him in all different types of places.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2010 - 12:04PM #4
Stardove

Apr 2, 2010 -- 11:45AM, Eliascomes wrote:

Dear All,

I have been attracted to Christianity for many years now. The issue is that I am of a sceptical nature and only really travel down that path when my life is not so crash hot. Please tell me how I can develop faith and really take this whole thing seriously? What is a good first point to practice in order to see if I can be a Christian?

H

First you must forgive all whom had done wrong to you, I mean all, past, present, and future. And you must understand them from their parents point of view why have they done wrong to you. And you must believe in all what is written in the scriptures, without any doubt. Try your best to follow the O.T. Laws. Don't be part takers to any type of gossip or lies, even though you haven't started it, but you had help passed it on down. These are some of the sacrifices that can help your journey. Once you've shown yourself how serious that you wanted to be with God, you'll start hearing and seeing him in all different types of places.  

*Note:  this is an area for Progressive Christians to share beliefs.*

I must take exception to what I changed to red above.  Progressive Christians normally do not take a literal view of the Bible. 

There are also some Old Testament laws which in today's world make no sense.  Example would be men are not suppose to cut the sides of their hair or trim their beards.  Back in the day these were your hippies.

Another example is not mixing fibers for clothing is a big no.  There are many examples (over 500) in the Old Testament of laws which are simply not followed by most of today's Christians.   

As a Progressive Christian I believe living your life by the example of love the Master taught is what we should strive to do.  Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.  The hidden commandment is we need to love ourselves.  Teach only love for that is what you are.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2010 - 5:36PM #5
Eliascomes

Apr 3, 2010 -- 12:04PM, Stardove wrote:

Dear All,

H

*Note:  this is an area for Progressive Christians to share beliefs.*

I must take exception to what I changed to red above.  Progressive Christians normally do not take a literal view of the Bible. 

There are also some Old Testament laws which in today's world make no sense.  Example would be men are not suppose to cut the sides of their hair or trim their beards.  Back in the day these were your hippies.

The Amish women doesn't shave their own legs, but their husbands not complaining. I guess God will reward you if you try.

Another example is not mixing fibers for clothing is a big no.  There are many examples (over 500) in the Old Testament of laws which are simply not followed by most of today's Christians.   

As a Progressive Christian I believe living your life by the example of love the Master taught is what we should strive to do.  Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.  The hidden commandment is we need to love ourselves.  Teach only love for that is what you are.

One time, I wearpolyester with wool. That day I was called Electro man. Lucky, I didn't pump any gas that day. Imagine what would of happen that day.

Mixing fabrics true meaning is to not put on a Godly appearance while evil is dwelling in your heart, that is called a hypocrite or a stage actor. We must grow into God by understanding the past. Once we relived the past, it might unveiled the truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 2:52PM #6
Billmc

Being a Progressive Christian, I would say to read the Beatitudes in Matthew and in Luke to see what the central teachings of Jesus were. Matthew sets these teachings on a mountain and Luke sets them on a plain, but these passages pretty well encompass what Jesus thought was important.

Secondly, read the Judgment of the Sheep and the Goats in Matthew 24. Obviously, being about sheep and goats, this story is a parable, not a description of an actual event. But in this parable, Jesus makes it pretty clear what is desired from his followers and it comes down to one word - compassion - feel with others and doing something about their condition whenever possible.

Start doing these things as you see opportunity and you may not necessarily be a Christian, but you will be a follower of Christ. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2010 - 7:05PM #7
Bob_Bennett

Dear All,

H

The previous poster got it all wrong.  The "laws" of the O.T. were primarily written about in the book of Leviticus, which Jesus dissed at Matt. 15: 6-9 and Mark 7.   He said that the Jewish laws were nothing more than human precepts masquerading as God given dogmas.

Therefore there is nothing to be gained from studying the Laws of the O.T.

Moderated by Stardove on Apr 20, 2010 - 01:49PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 11:56PM #8
AppleMan

It is really quite simple. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor.

Also, for a Progressive view of Christianity, I recommend Marcus Borg's book, "The Heart of Christianity". There are many good books, but that is a great one to start with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2010 - 9:04PM #9
Stardove

Apr 21, 2010 -- 11:56PM, AppleMan wrote:

It is really quite simple. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor.

After you sell all your possessions you too will be poor.  Surprised Wink

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 11:47AM #10
Phantasm

Apr 1, 2010 -- 3:27AM, Ripper wrote:

Dear All,

I have been attracted to Christianity for many  years now. The issue is that I am of a sceptical nature and only really  travel down that path when my life is not so crash hot. Please tell me  how I can develop faith and really take this whole thing seriously? What  is a good first point to practice in order to see if I can be a  Christian?

Regards

H

I would say first of all, the heart of Christianity is in the 'other:' the guy living across the street, the person you have long-standing issues with, the people that maybe you don't like very much.  People other than those like yourself and immediate circle of friends.  It's about caring for them as human beings as much as you do the nice guys and people you like.  I work in retail.  Sometimes I've had to deal with less-than-nice people, in a hurry or who are just plain jerks.  And while you don't have to be a Christian to work in retail I am getting paid to treat other people equally.  It's not a problem for me personally because I'm accustomed to doing this for others-- I grew up in a more or less Christian home.  I struggle with this, I am not perfect in this at all.  'Fundamentalist' Christians really try my patience.  But I try.

So try to find it in yourself to show some degree of love to everyone you come across.  Yeah, it's easier said than done.  But I believe it's something we are all capable of.

Second of all, I'll repeat what a few have said already and say read your Bible more often.  If reading a pssage gives you strength for living, integrate its' teadchings into yourself.  Admittedly I could stand to read the Bible more often too......

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook