Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Did Jesus examine the JW's in 1918-1919?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2010 - 9:03PM #1
Steve

I've recently read that the Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus examined their teaching (and others) in 1918-1919 and they came out as the only ones approved. Is this what the Witnesses believe and if so could someone explain it to me accurately? I prefer it be a faithful Jehovah's Witness.

Steve 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2010 - 11:11PM #2
Summerthyme

Mar 23, 2010 -- 9:03PM, Steve wrote:

I've recently read that the Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus examined their teaching (and others) in 1918-1919 and they came out as the only ones approved. Is this what the Witnesses believe and if so could someone explain it to me accurately? I prefer it be a faithful Jehovah's Witness.

Steve

Could you reference the work you read?  A direct link would be best if you read the work OL.

Something for professed christians to consider: every single action defines.

Gradually I came to realize that people will more readily swallow lies than truth, as if the taste of lies was homey, appetizing: a habit.
Martha Gellhorn

True Christianity must line up with the Bible, the word of God.  True Christianity will not be proven wrong, although people may appear to make it sound untrue by arguing against it by using false statements.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 1:08AM #3
Steve

I just read it last night from a book I got from my local library yesterday called Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron. He says he got it from a Watchtower book titled "God's Kingdom Of A Thousand Years Has Approached." I just bought that off ebay today.

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2010 - 9:34PM #4
Newtonian

Steve - Hi! Our basic beliefs are listed accurately here:

www.watchtower.org/e/jt/index.htm

Your question is involves one of many prophecies concerning the last days.  The fact that we are in the last days is one of our primary beliefs.

We believe the time of the end began in 1914 and is described in many Bible accounts.  A few of these Bible accounts refer to a period of time, times and half a time, or 1260 days - notably in Daniel and Revelation.  1914 - 1918 saw the fulfillment of a number of prophecies for those 3.5 years.

The time of testing and sifting is the same as the time the Jehovah’s two witnesses were dressed in sackcloth and ashes.

I will wait for you to respond before I continue - but I will post one Scriptural account fulfilled in those years (1914-1918).

(Revelation 11:1-12) . . .And a reed like a rod was given me as he said: “Get up and measure the temple [sanctuary] of God and the altar and those worshiping in it. 2 But as for the courtyard that is outside the temple [sanctuary], cast it clear out and do not measure it, because it has been given to the nations, and they will trample the holy city underfoot for forty-two months. 3 And I will cause my two witnesses to prophesy a thousand two hundred and sixty days dressed in sackcloth.” 4 These are [symbolized by] the two olive trees and the two lampstands and are standing before the Lord of the earth. 5 And if anyone wants to harm them, fire issues forth from their mouths and devours their enemies; and if anyone should want to harm them, in this manner he must be killed. 6 These have the authority to shut up heaven that no rain should fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have authority over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every sort of plague as often as they wish. 7 And when they have finished their witnessing, the wild beast that ascends out of the abyss will make war with them and conquer them and kill them. 8 And their corpses will be on the broad way of the great city which is in a spiritual sense called Sod´om and Egypt, where their Lord was also impaled. 9 And those of the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations will look at their corpses for three and a half days, and they do not let their corpses be laid in a tomb. 10 And those dwelling on the earth rejoice over them and enjoy themselves, and they will send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those dwelling on the earth. 11 And after the three and a half days spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet, and great fear fell upon those beholding them. 12 And they heard a loud voice out of heaven say to them: “Come on up here.” And they went up into heaven in the cloud, and their enemies beheld them.

The measuring of the temple is similar to the inspection  to which you refer - and, btw, we did not measure up!  That is why Jehovah allowed the two witnesses to be killed in 1918 - which included our 8 officers of the Watchtower Society sentenced to four terms of 20 years - I think in the Atlanta Penitentiary - a total of 80 years.   And our headquarters, Bethel, was closed down.  Then, in 1919, we were figuratively speaking resurrected back to life.

I will be glad to post many more details after you respond.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2010 - 7:46PM #5
Steve

Newtonian,

Thanks for the reply. I definitely would like to know more from you. I'm a little busy at this time but I will reply as I get time.

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 10:58PM #6
Steve

Newtonian,

Thanks for the detailed reply and willingness to take the time to discuss this with me. You say that the JW's did not measure up when they were inspected from 1914-1918. Do you know what specifically they were judged for? I received the WTBTS book God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached in the mail today. On pages 349-355 it says clearly that those Bible Students who later became Jehovah's Witnesses passed the inspection. This book was published in 1973. Has the view of the Jehovah's Witnesses on this time changed since then? 

Also, I have the WTBTS book Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life published in 1995 and on p.161 it says that Jesus found these true Christians dispensing proper and timely spiritual food.

I'm not sure if what you are saying here is in line with what I'm reading in the WTBTS literature I have. Maybe you could harmonize the two for me?

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 28, 2010 - 1:16AM #7
Jesse
To Steve,

You mentioned that you had read part of captives of a concept and I was wondering if you had finished it yet. There were quite a few beliefs that jws had in 1918-1919 that they later changed for instance, in 1918 they believed that Christs kingdom started ruling on earth in 1874 not 1914. But in 1943 (according to the proclaimers book.......basically the jw history book) they changed it to 1914. New...... Partialy explained where 1914 came for with the days and times and 2k years but what he failed to mention was that, those Years started counting after Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 bc. Then you add the 2k years (he stated the exact number) and you get 1914.............but wait there is a problem. Because all historians believe Jerusalem was destroyed in 586/587 bc. In fact cuniform tablets have been found supporting 586/587 bc.  This may seem small but when it comes to jw doctrine it's huge because 1914 is an extremely important date.

Steve if you would like more information about the jws check out www.jwfacts.com I'm not sure why you are researching them but before you become involved religiously with their organization you should understand the history that they don't want you to know.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 30, 2010 - 4:48PM #8
Nomi69

InnocentAs one who has spent most of my life as a JW...I know our history well. It is founded on Truth as taught by Christ Jesus our Lord, and Savior. One of my favorite books about us is an older book...called "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Divine Purpose". To me it was much like putting a puzzle together, and all the pieces come together and fit. Don't know how easy it would be to find one...but it is a marvelous book when it comes to explaining how JW's came to fit in with the purpose of our Divine Creator, Jehovah GOD. There have been times of refining and change, however, that is necessay to more accurately try to conform to the Perfect Laws, of our GOD Jehovah, and his Divine Will. Being imperfect...there can always come certain issues that may require change.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 12:05PM #9
Woodrow

Steve,

have you seen the new DVD release that came out this summer's assembly titled "Out of Darkness"? It recounts the early Bible Students history and includes the brief incarceration of Watchtower Society officers. They were released on March 26.

I found that to be rather interesting since my lifetime-disabling accident happened in the early morning of March 27 1989... almost as if when they got out I went in. I became aware in 2006 that I was a partaker, one of the 144,000, but for certain reasons I decided not to partake that year. I felt a need to delay the actual partaking.

This year I did, on March 30 during the Memorial. I was unaware the Faithful and Discreet Governing Body was preparing to release some awesome information at our "Remain Close to Jehovah" convention on July 4. I was very ill so I only made it on Friday for 1 hour and then Sunday I made the Noon break was all but I listened to it later.

The Governing Body had an awesome insight into the "generation that would see these things" that it was not one single lifespan but rather was to include two groups => the anointed who saw the beginning of pangs of distress and a 2nd followup group who would witness the End of this System of Things.

I partook before I knew that... thinking I was an aberration to the norm when actually here they were coming a few months later to say I was one of the norm. Smile

Steve, The End is Extra Near and I say that with a very straight face to you and all here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2010 - 2:14AM #10
Imperfectense

Aug 28, 2010 -- 12:05PM, Woodrow wrote:

Steve,

have you seen the new DVD release that came out this summer's assembly titled "Out of Darkness"? It recounts the early Bible Students history and includes the brief incarceration of Watchtower Society officers. They were released on March 26.

I found that to be rather interesting since my lifetime-disabling accident happened in the early morning of March 27 1989... almost as if when they got out I went in. I became aware in 2006 that I was a partaker, one of the 144,000, but for certain reasons I decided not to partake that year. I felt a need to delay the actual partaking.

This year I did, on March 30 during the Memorial. I was unaware the Faithful and Discreet Governing Body was preparing to release some awesome information at our "Remain Close to Jehovah" convention on July 4. I was very ill so I only made it on Friday for 1 hour and then Sunday I made the Noon break was all but I listened to it later.

The Governing Body had an awesome insight into the "generation that would see these things" that it was not one single lifespan but rather was to include two groups => the anointed who saw the beginning of pangs of distress and a 2nd followup group who would witness the End of this System of Things.

I partook before I knew that... thinking I was an aberration to the norm when actually here they were coming a few months later to say I was one of the norm.

Steve, The End is Extra Near and I say that with a very straight face to you and all here.

(bold mine)

Thanks so much Woodrow for your post...if you are who you say you are..your post speaks volumes!

WTS Bible Dictionary Insight-2 p. 1132 Truth
"Being “the spirit of the truth,” God’s holy spirit could never be the source of error but would protect Christ’s followers from doctrinal falsehoods. (Compare 1Jo 2:27; 4:1-6.)...)

Watchtower 1987 11/1 p. 29 Religion’s Tidal Wave—The Final Reckoning
Examine the religious institution to which you belong. Does what it stands for agree with the Bible in every way? If not, then your organization is part of “Babylon the Great,” or the world empire of false religion. Follow the command found at Revelation 18:4, which is: “Get out of her, my people, . . . if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook