Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Are many JW's familiar with their early history?
5 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 11:20PM #1
Steve

Hi,

I've been looking through PDF's of The Watchtower magazines from 1879-1919 and I was wondering how familiar the average JW is with their early history. The ones that I have talked with don't seem to have any idea that for all of these years (even up to 1929) they taught that Jesus' 2nd presence happened in 1874. Today it's claimed that this took place in 1914 which for the first generation of JW's was the date Armageddon was expected. There are also other things that the modern JW wouldn't agree with. Celebration of Christmas, Much talk of the cross, statements that nothing in Scripture condemns being in the military, etc.

Is the average JW familiar with this history?

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 2:41AM #2
Imperfectense

Not so much.

WTS Bible Dictionary Insight-2 p. 1132 Truth
"Being “the spirit of the truth,” God’s holy spirit could never be the source of error but would protect Christ’s followers from doctrinal falsehoods. (Compare 1Jo 2:27; 4:1-6.)...)

Watchtower 1987 11/1 p. 29 Religion’s Tidal Wave—The Final Reckoning
Examine the religious institution to which you belong. Does what it stands for agree with the Bible in every way? If not, then your organization is part of “Babylon the Great,” or the world empire of false religion. Follow the command found at Revelation 18:4, which is: “Get out of her, my people, . . . if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 10:44AM #3
Ivandefendingtruth

I'm not so sure the above poster or any other poster can really speak for 7 million people and of their knowledge. There's certainly no way of determining an answer for the initial poster's question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 1:42PM #4
Steve

Not really looking for a scientific answer here. Just a general idea from your experience.

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 4:19PM #5
Summerthyme

Mar 21, 2010 -- 1:42PM, Steve wrote:

Not really looking for a scientific answer here. Just a general idea from your experience.

Steve

A general idea from my experience: Is the average JW familiar with the history of the WTB&TS?  Yes.  How beliefs have become enhanced with time, study and understanding?  Yes.

Something for professed christians to consider: every single action defines.

Gradually I came to realize that people will more readily swallow lies than truth, as if the taste of lies was homey, appetizing: a habit.
Martha Gellhorn

True Christianity must line up with the Bible, the word of God.  True Christianity will not be proven wrong, although people may appear to make it sound untrue by arguing against it by using false statements.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 5:00PM #6
anotherpaul

Mar 20, 2010 -- 11:20PM, Steve wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking through PDF's of The Watchtower magazines from 1879-1919 and I was wondering how familiar the average JW is with their early history. The ones that I have talked with don't seem to have any idea that for all of these years (even up to 1929) they taught that Jesus' 2nd presence happened in 1874. Today it's claimed that this took place in 1914 which for the first generation of JW's was the date Armageddon was expected. There are also other things that the modern JW wouldn't agree with. Celebration of Christmas, Much talk of the cross, statements that nothing in Scripture condemns being in the military, etc.

Is the average JW familiar with this history?

Steve

Yes. However you must make a distinction between before 1919 and after 1919.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 5:01PM #7
anotherpaul

Mar 21, 2010 -- 4:19PM, Summerthyme wrote:

Steve

A general idea from my experience: Is the average JW familiar with the history of the WTB&TS?  Yes.  How beliefs have become enhanced with time, study and understanding?  Yes.

OK, whose picture is that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 5:35PM #8
Summerthyme

Mar 21, 2010 -- 5:01PM, anotherpaul wrote:

Mar 21, 2010 -- 4:19PM, Summerthyme wrote:

Steve

OK, whose picture is that?

I thought it would make a nice avatar.

Gradually I came to realize that people will more readily swallow lies than truth, as if the taste of lies was homey, appetizing: a habit.
Martha Gellhorn

True Christianity must line up with the Bible, the word of God.  True Christianity will not be proven wrong, although people may appear to make it sound untrue by arguing against it by using false statements.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 5:46PM #9
Steve

Paul,

Could you please elaborate on the difference between before and after 1919?

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 5:54PM #10
Summerthyme

Welcome back Steve.  Are you in a better place?

Martha Gellhorn

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook