Switch to Forum Live View Rule of Saint Benedict
5 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 1:45AM #1
kurnell

I have recently been studying the Rule of St Benedict and realised how appropriate it is for today, even if you are not a monastic.

Life centering on Eucharist, Daily Office and personal prayer. Even the three vows, Obedience, Stability and Conversion of life, have a  place in our everyday lives as we seek to follow Christ.

Has anyone else found this Rule to be a treasure?

Peace

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 8:30AM #2
tawonda

Kurnell: Margaret Guenther is an Episcopal priest and spiritual director who's written some good stuff about adapting the Rule for everyday personal/family life...you might want to do an Amazon.com search and read through some of her titles.  I love her observation, which is so true, that EVERYONE follows a Rule of one kind or the other...the question is whether or not one's Rule is a good one or not. So true.

Joan Chittister's "Wisdom Distilled From the Daily" is another resource you might find helpful. There's also a book called "St. Benedict's Toolbox" or "St. Benedict's Toolkit" that you might want to research...haven't read it, but I seem to recall that it gets high marks from readers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 1:01AM #3
kurnell

Thanks Tawonder,

I have the last two books and i am familiar with the first author.

Peace

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 20, 2010 - 6:58PM #4
Jenandew7

Mar 15, 2010 -- 1:45AM, kurnell wrote:

I have recently been studying the Rule of St Benedict and realised how appropriate it is for today, even if you are not a monastic.

Life centering on Eucharist, Daily Office and personal prayer. Even the three vows, Obedience, Stability and Conversion of life, have a  place in our everyday lives as we seek to follow Christ.

Has anyone else found this Rule to be a treasure?

Peace

Jeffrey

Just so you know:  I do too!

Annie

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook