Post Reply
Switch to Forum Live View Questioning Christianity - Doing Research & Requesting Help
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 3:11PM #1
Carjen
Posts: 105

I don't know how many of you spend any time on the atheism board, but I have posted something there:  community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/4...


Basically, I saw Religulous and have started researching the claims made in the film about mythological characters and their parallels with the stories about Jesus.


I was wondering if anyone here had anything to share or add to what has been said on the atheism thread I started.


Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 5:52PM #2
Agnosticspirit
Posts: 9,253

Hi carjean, welcome to Beliefnet and Agnosticism forum! Have you read Karen Armstrong's History of God?


I listened to a rather interesting podcast from Don Cupitt - he suggests that Jesus has been underrated as a philosopher and that he was truly a radical humanist. Here's a link to download this podcast if you'd like to take a listen...It was rather intriguing how he arrived at this conclusion and led me to a greater understanding of progressives who have stripped away the superstition that surrounds Jesus and are inspired by the "heresy" of Jesus.


 

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

 Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 10:33PM #3
Carjen
Posts: 105

Mar 14, 2010 -- 5:52PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:


Hi carjean, welcome to Beliefnet and Agnosticism forum! Have you read Karen Armstrong's History of God?


I listened to a rather interesting podcast from Don Cupitt - he suggests that Jesus has been underrated as a philosopher and that he was truly a radical humanist. Here's a link to download this podcast if you'd like to take a listen...It was rather intriguing how he arrived at this conclusion and led me to a greater understanding of progressives who have stripped away the superstition that surrounds Jesus and are inspired by the "heresy" of Jesus.


 




Haven't read that one, but someone else recommended it on the atheist board, so I went ahead and reserved it at the library.  I'll be reading it soon. :)  Thanks.


That is definitely interesting information about the podcast. I'll have to go and check that one out.  In fact, I seem to recall that Thomas Jefferson once did something similar. I don't remember what he called it, but he basically rewrote the stories of Jesus, omitting the miracles and keeping the moral teachings intact.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 11:40PM #4
grampawombat
Posts: 269

Carjen wrote:


Thomas Jefferson once did something similar. I don't remember what he called it, but he basically rewrote the stories of Jesus, omitting the miracles and keeping the moral teachings intact.


Actually, what Jefferson did was take the four gospels and edit out the parts that did not meet his test of factuality. He called it The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, but later publishers simply refer to it as The Jefferson Bible. As I understand it, new members of the U. S. Senate receive a copy when they take office. Some have used this informtion to demonstrate the dominance of conventional Christianity, but Jefferson and his version of the Bible are certainly not conventional.


There is a group of biblical scholars called The Jesus Seminar. They have identified what they believe to be the authentic portions of the gospels. Their aim is somewhat different from Jefferson's, but then he predated them by more than a century. Many folks who call themselves progressive Christians have undertaken similar projects. They are not agnostics, but their approach to religion helps provide for a place where people can exchange views about religion in general and Christianity in particular in a more civil and non-dogmatic way. I believe that agnostics, with their more open-minded approach to belief have much in common with these folks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2010 - 11:32PM #5
BlackWingBlueSky
Posts: 386

Mar 14, 2010 -- 10:33PM, Carjen wrote:


That is definitely interesting information about the podcast. I'll have to go and check that one out.  In fact, I seem to recall that Thomas Jefferson once did something similar. I don't remember what he called it, but he basically rewrote the stories of Jesus, omitting the miracles and keeping the moral teachings intact.





I'm in the middle of reading The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth and it's an interesting experience.  On one hand, with all the supernatural stuff removed it makes a lot more sense (the usual result of removing the supernatural) -- once the jungle of woo-woo is out, what's left are some good thoughts and some worthwhile philosophy. 


On the other hand, tho I've read the bible before I don't remember Jesus' message being quite so culty as this -- abandonment of family, giving up all your money, slavish following of a leader at the expense of an individual life, not thinking about tomorrow, etc.  Of course it's been some time since I last read either Testaments and I probably didn't know quite as much about cult tactics then as now. 

Sandy

I've seen normal, and I'm not impressed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook