Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Easter, fertility goddess of the sunrise
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 12:19PM #1
Bob10
Easter -- Eostre
Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from  Austron, a goddess of fertility and sunrise whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox.
Bede, the 8th century Christian monk and historian, says Anglo-Saxon Christians adopted her name and many of the celebratory practices for their Mass of Christ's resurrection. Ultimately related to east. Almost all neighboring languages use a variant of Latin Pasche to name this holiday.

www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Easter

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 4:40PM #2
Campbellite

Checks board title. "Traditional Christians"

Bob, Is there a question here? And what does Armstrongism have to do with "Traditional Christianity"?

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 8:10PM #3
tawonda

The Armstrongians' obsession with the "paganism" of Easter springs forth anew, as perennial as backyard daffodils and Cadbury eggs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 10:45AM #4
Bob10

Those who kept Easter with the Jews were called Quartodecimans or terountes (observants); but even in the time of Pope Victor this usage hardly extended beyond the churches of Asia Minor. After the pope's strong measures the Quartodecimans seem to have gradually dwindled away. Origen in the "Philosophumena" (VIII, xviii) seems to regard them as a mere handful of wrong-headed nonconformists.

The Jews do not keep Easter, they keep Passover.

www.newadvent.org/cathen/05228a.htm - quote from - First Phase (section)

Irenaeus states that St. Polycarp, who like the other Asiatics, kept Easter (Passover) on the fourteenth day of the moon, whatever day of the week that might be, following therein the tradition which he claimed to have derived from St. John the Apostle

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 11:38AM #5
Campbellite

Bob, the question never was about whether to observe the Day of the Resurrection. The only question was when. There was no complete consensus on when it should be observed.

The calendar date of the resurrection was 14 Nisan by the Jewish calendar. Thus one early group, the quartodecimians (from the Latin for fourteen) continued to observe it on that date.

Others felt that it should always be observed on Sunday, the day after the Sabbath.

For the first few centuries, there was no established means for determining the date, and different dioceses might have it on different dates in the same year. Often the Christians woulf resort to asking the rabbi at the local synagogue when Passover would begin. Embarrassing.

Gradually a consesus formed around the formula we now use, of the first Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox. (Yeah, it's a bit more complicated than that, but that works well enough.)

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 1:51PM #6
Bob10

<<whether to observe the Day of the Resurrection. The only question was when.>>>

Pascha was never about the resurrection in Apostolic times, just the opposite ---

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes

www.usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1co...

I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you. - 1Cor. 11:2

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, - 1Cor. 11:23.

An important part of the TRADITION that Paul received from the LORD was the time of observance --- on the night He was betrayed --- in the evening at the beginning of Nisan 14. 

"Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." - 1Cor.11:1 --- that's what the Quartodecimans did: they imitated Christ; that is why they were called "fourteenthers".

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 2:05PM #7
Campbellite

Mar 15, 2010 -- 1:51PM, Bob10 wrote:

<<whether to observe the Day of the Resurrection. The only question was when.>>>

Pascha was never about the resurrection in Apostolic times, just the opposite ---

"For if Christ is NOT risen from the dead, then we of all men [sic] are most to be pitied." - St. Paul

Christianity is all about the resurrection, without which the whole faith falls apart. The resurrection is God's final victory over death and sin, demonstrating that love is stronger than death, and that death holds no more power over us.

"To live is Christ, and to die is gain." St. Paul (again)

Without Easter/Pascha/the Resurrection, Good Friday was merely a tragedy in which the principalities and powers once more prevail over a good man.

WITH Easter/Pascha/the Resurrection, Good Friday is proven to be the final act of rebellion by the principalities and powers which are proven futile by the Risen, Victorious Christ.

All the rest of Ted's little fantasies fade into insignificance in the light of the Resurrection.

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 5:14PM #8
KatherineOrthodixie

The Resurrection was the single event that changed the disciples from a bunch of frightened men hiding in an upper room to fearless apostles and evangelists willing to die for their faith in the Risen Christ.

They actually thought it was pretty important.

And even your Armstrongian historical revisionism can't make it anything else.

“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2010 - 2:11PM #9
Bob10

"the ways of the LORD" - 1kg. 2:4, 3:6  is "walking in truth" 3john 3,4

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1ki... 1kings 2:1-4

And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord? - Acts 13:10, kjv

www.borntowin.net/newsite/Audios/RadioAr...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2010 - 4:38PM #10
KatherineOrthodixie

Mar 17, 2010 -- 2:11PM, Bob10 wrote:

"the ways of the LORD" - 1kg. 2:4, 3:6  is "walking in truth" 3john 3,4

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1ki... 1kings 2:1-4

And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord? - Acts 13:10, kjv

www.borntowin.net/newsite/Audios/RadioAr...

I'm sorry, if you wouldn't mind clarifying, are you calling me or charlie the devil?

“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook