Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View religious influence on lesbian prom date
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2010 - 12:53PM #11
voluptuary1

Mar 18, 2010 -- 9:49PM, Myownpath wrote:

Demonized.  There is no love in the way they treated this girl.

Right as you are, the shocking, scary thing is that the people who did this probably believe unironically that this was the most loving thing to do.

If I lived in that town, I'd throw her a prom myself. Then again, if I had lived in that town, I'd be long gone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2010 - 1:33PM #12
mountain_man

Mar 19, 2010 -- 12:53PM, voluptuary1 wrote:

Demonized.  There is no love in the way they treated this girl.

Right as you are, the shocking, scary thing is that the people who did this probably believe unironically that this was the most loving thing to do.  If I lived in that town, I'd throw her a prom myself. Then again, if I had lived in that town, I'd be long gone.

One Humanist group has already stepped in to help; here's the link. Two humanists  have offered a grant of $20,000 to hold a prom for the school.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2010 - 7:49PM #13
Wolfhoundgrowl

OK, I don't often use Americanisms (sorry Americans, which is most of you) but.......AWESOME.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 4:50PM #14
Myownpath

It's so great we can live in a world with at least some true samaritins who are devoted to making positive change. If there isn't a God smiling, I hope this puts smiles on the faces of the students.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 8:49PM #15
BlackWingBlueSky

Mar 19, 2010 -- 12:53PM, voluptuary1 wrote:

Right as you are, the shocking, scary thing is that the people who did this probably believe unironically that this was the most loving thing to do.

I don't think love, correction or even demonization was part of it.  The school threw a hissy fit in an attempt to pressure the girl (and presumably her parents) out of the lawsuit.  They ought to be as much ashamed of themselves for their childishness as their homophobia. 

Sandy

I've seen normal, and I'm not impressed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 4:23PM #16
voluptuary1
I'll forgo a very easy joke at Mississippi's expense to merely say: you're right. A little loose with quote tags, perhaps, but right.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 10:36PM #17
BlackWingBlueSky

Mar 22, 2010 -- 4:23PM, voluptuary1 wrote:

I'll forgo a very easy joke at Mississippi's expense to merely say: you're right. A little loose with quote tags, perhaps, but right.

Yeah, those quote tags kick my butt every time.

Sandy

I've seen normal, and I'm not impressed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 09, 2010 - 5:17PM #18
Brownowl33

I am convinced that Christianity in the South is one of the most hateful and barbaric things out there.  I'm gay myself, and I can tell you: I've never had problems with anyone but Christians, who felt it was their right to tell me their "loving" god would torture me in hell for eternity unless I "chose" to become straight.  Every single anti-gay ordinance I've ever seen has been bought and paid for by Christian groups, and the leader of the local Baptist church (and this is in Dallas, hardly some small town) did a month long sermon series last year about how "god" hates gays.

This poor girl is just another victim of these people and their agenda.  Since one grows up hearing your church telling you that gays are sick and evil, that they "chose" to be that way (which nobody in their right mind could ever believe) and that "god" wants you to hate them and cast them out, you really do not see them as human and it's easy for people to behave this way.  Of course the people commenting against this girl on this case are going to litter their posts with Bible-stuff; that's where they learned their hate, and since they don't really think for themselves, they just parrot what they already learned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 09, 2010 - 9:47PM #19
Myownpath

I am convinced that Christianity in the South is one of the most hateful and barbaric things out there.

sugar coated evil. Sorry to hear of the lack of understanding shown to you. Don't you wish people would wake up already?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 11, 2010 - 12:11PM #20
Brownowl33

I do indeed.  The scary thing is, as someone already pointed out, that these people really believe they are doing the "loving" thing.  I had another gay friend who, when his uber-Christian parents found out he was gay, allowed them to send him to a "Christian" therapist to try and pray the gay away.  Now he's on handfuls of drugs and probably permanently insane after being brainwashed into thinking he was a "sinner."  He's still gay, but can't have a relationship because he's afraid "god" will "get him."  Other friends of mine have been completely cut off from their parents, and two friend of mine killed themselves after their Christian parents disowned them and told them God hated them.

It's as I've long said: extreme forms of Christianity and Islam are nothing more than hate groups, dressed up as religion.  I don't think because they claim knowledge of a god that their beliefs should be free from criticism, and as such any other philosophy that preached such endless hatred (of gays, Jews, other denominations, "witches," etc) would be soundly condemned.  It's terrible watching families ruined forever because a few of them hold superstitious beliefs and are willing to condemn their children to death over them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook