Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View religious influence on lesbian prom date
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 7:16PM #1
Myownpath

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lesbian_prom_date

So my google news had this article about a lesbian high school student not being allowed to bring her girlfriend to prom and wear a tuxedo. I knew this had to be in the southern US and was influenced by religious views. When the girl filed a lawsuit, the school district cancelled prom. It is interesting to see the responses of those who blame the girl. Separation of church and state clearly is not universal especially in the South.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 8:29PM #2
mountain_man

Poor kid. She looks like a nice young lady. If it were two guys, they'd shut down the school. Too many parts of this country seem to be unable to deal with modern society.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 8:45PM #3
Carjen

Cancelled prom?  How about just let them go to prom together.  Such garbage.

I remember homecoming one year when I was a freshman in HS (seems like so long ago) - a couple of girls decided to be each other's dates.  Not lesbians, just a couple of girls going together because they didn't have dates.

They created this banner of couples at the Homecoming Dance - and they refused to put their names on there.  Ridiculous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 12:04PM #4
voluptuary1
If they wanted to be smart about it, they would have held a simultaneous prayer revival for those who've strayed away from the path, and now seek to mislead others.

Nothing sadder than lazy bigots.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 5:43PM #5
Wolfhoundgrowl

Don't they even care about the wee girl?

Do they believe that their ideology is more important than the person they've demonised?

I really don't get this, & I was an Evangelical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 5:52PM #6
mountain_man

Mar 16, 2010 -- 5:43PM, Wolfhoundgrowl wrote:

Don't they even care about the wee girl?

Do they believe that their ideology is more important than the person they've demonised?

I really don't get this, & I was an Evangelical.

It's easy. By demonizing this young lady they feel bigger, stronger, for having fought the devil and won. They also look bigger in the eyes of their peers. It's all about their ego, not their religion.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2010 - 7:47PM #7
Myownpath

Interesting. I checked the article again today and they clearly switched a photo where she looked more attractive with this one with a shadow on her nose. I did not copy the article, but my guess is that is may have also been revised??? hmm

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2010 - 8:49AM #8
BillThinks4Himself

You don't get change by behaving well, although you don't get it by blowing up the prom, either.  You get it by pushing deliberately against something that will bend.  Rosa Parks got all these accolades for refusing to give up her seat, and she was definitely acting courageously in doing so, but she was hardly the first to test the law.  She was simply the first to successfully do so, and it wasn't because she was arrested.  It was because her arrest was used to instigate a boycott.  It was the boycott that changed the world.  It happened at the right time, and for the right cause and modality.

As a country, we do a poor job of telling the story of civil rights.  We throw up a hero and make all the pretty statements but the public is left uninformed about how real change gets made.

If gay and lesbian couples want a seat at the table, they need to be willing to speak up and act up where it counts.  The same goes for atheists and agnostics.  We get what we settle for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2010 - 11:16AM #9
voluptuary1

"Demonised"? You mean "loved", or perhaps "corrected", right?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2010 - 9:49PM #10
Myownpath

Demonized.  There is no love in the way they treated this girl.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook