Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2010 - 12:07PM #1
Nay_ho_tze
Knowing something of what others are reading 
offers a clearer sense of where they might be coming from.
That said, here goes...

-- What are the last two books you read?

-- What two magazines do you read regularly?

-- What's your topmost, favourite book of all time? Why?

-- In case of fire, you can save 3 books. Which ones are they?

-- IYO, what is the best movie ever made from a book? your reason?

-- Do you prefer a newspaper or a newsmagazine? Why?

-- Or do you get all your news online?  from what site?

=D
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2010 - 8:21PM #2
Tenlionz

I was given a book by a very special Friend, Sun Tzu "The Art of War" which I am quite delighted with. Other than that I'm reading my Officers reports, Nation policy, and writing them, security technology and administrative reports. Not much time for pleasure reading besides The Art of War, which I will be reading over and over, cant get enough of it. I would like to get the chance to read a book I bought some time ago 1491 by Charles Mann.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 12:38PM #3
Green.is.my.favorite.color

Very cool, Brother TenLionz. Somehow, it seems to fit with you... :)

Books, Current: I don't remember the author but the title is "One." Its a collection of like/parellel wisdom from the world's religious traditions.

Recent reprevious book: Arthur C. Clarke's "2010: Odyssey Two"

Fav book o' all time: (as I mentally scan my book shelf.....) - yeesh. I have too many. History books, spiritual books, Sci Fi,

Book to movie? "Contact" wasn't bad, except for the stupid obligatory love-making scene which wasn't in the book.

Always looking for the book, movie.....real life experience that tests the boundries of reality.

Best to all

Karl

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 10:48PM #4
Nay_ho_tze
Let’s see – what am I reading? 

Really, it depends on what room I’m in ...
Typically I have several books going at once...
right now on my nightstand are these ...
(and I honestly didn't 'plant' these for this post...)

Awakening: A Sufi Experience by Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan
The Mother
by Sri Aurobindo (this is a re-read)
Ocean
of Wisdom
: Guidelines for Living by HH The Dalai Lama
a 1st grade Math book (trying to break a barrier with the wee one)
Journeying: Where Shamanism and Psychology Meet

by Jeannette M. Gagan, PhD (another re-read)
Psychology and Culture
by W. J. Lonner and R. S. Malpass

The latter two are in preparation to ‘guest lecture’
at my college-professor-daughter’s psychology class
when she does altered states of consciousness ...
but she’s also a clinical therapist,
and the invitation to teach is really her way
of enticing her ol' mum to ‘get out of the house’ ... lol

=]

Green – My favourite is easy: Toward the One  =]

Tenlionz:  This link might interest you – 
it’s to a PBS radio interview with the author of 1491

NHT
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 8:33PM #5
Ermotimos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 1:44PM #6
Nay_ho_tze
Yikes! Ermotimos, you do some heavy duty reading -
(funny thing ... the link moved into my favourites)
=D

Is this reading for school or personal enjoyment,
or both, perhaps?

NHT
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 2:51PM #7
Ermotimos

No it's not for school..unfortunately. If texts like that were part of modern education the "good christian" greek children would turn into "perverse heathen idolaters"Foot in mouth..which isn't something the church is going to allow since it controls the education department (the church is inseparable from the greek state).

We do the Odyssy in 1st year of junior high and there is no comment whatsoever for that passage of the Epic other than "folk imagination saw weird things in the dark stalagmitic cave formations"..Foot in mouth Cry Cool.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2010 - 10:03PM #8
Ermotimos

But nevermind greek education and the church Sealed, this text is an interpretation by the philosopher Porfyrios of  passages N 105-117 of the Odyssey which speaks of the cave of the naiad nymphs. It says how the cave contains our mortal realm which is basically the lowerworld. The four directions are the four elements and in greek myth, the rivers of the lowerworld. East is fire and Pyriphlegethon the river of fire, North is water and Okeanos the father of all waters, West is earth and Styx the river of earth, South is air and Acheron the river of air. East to west is the path of gods. North to south the path of mortals. In ancient tradition the Summer solstice is the beginning and the end. The Afpha and Omega of the cycle of the souls. That is when the souls reaseble and ascend to Sun and at the same instant souls are dismembered from Sun and start descending to Earth

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2010 - 4:47PM #9
Nay_ho_tze
Ermotimos: 
I studied the Odyssey in college
but something deep inside stirs
at the lovely images your words invoke...
I'll have to do some revisiting...
=]

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 11:20AM #10
Ermotimos

oh there's much more to ancient epics than is appearant to people reading them nowdays. Everything in them have a symbology specific to the culture of the poet-poets, so much of what is implied can only be understood by deeper knowledge of the culture. That doesn't nesessarily mean that an interpretation by one foreign to the culture will be false. It is something totaly depended on and relevant to the culture and the person. 

However there are hidden meanings that relate to language as well. And those things aren't easily translated. For example where Porphyry speaks of the bees and the oxen and Moon and her relationship to the Bull. Because cow is called Bous (pronounced "Vous")and Bee is Melissa in greek. And the relationship between cows and bees is that bees are born of the cow as Moon pases over Taurus and so "mmmmmmmm" say the cows and mmelisses are born now in the spring equinox and start their hard work of virtue. The shiny deeds of the buzzing bees. And so  v, vvvvvvvvvv is the symbol of the sound of the buzzing of bees (the verb for buzz is "vomveezo") which is (v) the first letter of "vous" (cow). So moon is horned and honeyed by devine nectar. It was also said that Moon "bellows" and "roars" angrily like a cow when souls that are unclean (not bees) and doesn't let them aproach her. So not only do bees pass through the South gate of the immortals but also as they reach the moon in spring they are born by her into a more devine existence to continue towards the Summer solstice and ther return to the sourse whether that be Sun or any other of the infinite stars "Suns".

See also, if so you please, the island Thrinakia and the cows of Helios. And how all of Odesseus' fellows ate the sacred cows and how they were lost, as Zeus himself struck their ship with lightning in the midle of the sea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook