Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Urantia Book and the Bible
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 11:34AM #1
Truthprecepts

The Urantia Book seems to quote several Bible passages.  This is causing me to ponder a number of questions that I would like to pose to the committed readers of this book:

What significance does the Bible hold for the readers of the Urantia Book?

How does the Urantia Book address the question of ultimate accountability and the ultimate destiny of people in comparison to what the Bible teaches?

What is the role of Jesus Christ in the life of a committed reader of the Urantia Book?

Let us begin the discussion here and, perhaps, other questions may arise as the discussion progresses.

Please share your thoughts, explanations or questions and thank you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 10:45PM #2
Amadon

Truthprecepts,

No one is really qualified to speak for all Urantians, but after studying the book for 44 years and having participated in many discussion groups, I think I have some idea of how people feel.

The Bible: Many Urantians were Christians before they found the book.  They had and still have a great respect for the Bible, at least for the New Testament.  Those of us who were not Christians before we read the Urantia Book recognize the value of the Bible to Christians.  In fact, the Urantia book has several thousand quotes from the Bible.  We recognize that the Jesus of the Bible is the Jesus of the Urantia Book but we would differ from Paul's interpretation of Jesus life.  The Urantia Book does not support the Atonement Doctrine.

Accountability and destiny:  Yes, we are certainly held accountable for our actions.  I think one of the primary ideas in the UBk is the concept of the indwelling God spirit.  If we follow the guidance of this spirit, we are following God's will.  If we refuse to follow the guidance, we hinder the growth of our soul.  In the worst case, if we are iniquitous and fully and finally reject God, we are not resurrected after death.  If we survive on probation because we made little spiritual growth here, then we have to do a lot of remedial work at the next level.  Yes, according to the authors, we are hardly finished products when we leave here; we must pass through many levels of progress and spiritual growth before we get to meet with God.

Jesus and Urantians:  Each of us has our own unique relationship with Jesus.  For me, I think of him as my elder spiritual brother.  The Urantia Book portrays him as being both human and divine as does Christian theology, but the UBk states that he is not the second person of the Trinity, but rather a son of the Father and the Eternal Son, the first two persons of the Trinity.  So we can relate to the person who was Jesus as a brother and the divine Christ as a sort of father, as a true reflection of our Universal Father.  The authors of the UBk tell us that contacting the Spirit of Truth that Jesus/Christ poured out over the earth is like contacting Jesus/Christ himself.  Therefore, we can have a personal contact with the nature of Jesus this way.  Finally, I would say that most Urantians love Jesus as do Christians but sometimes for different reasons.  Sorry to be so wordy!

Shalom, Dick

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 11:28PM #3
Truthprecepts

Hello Amadon,

Thank you for summarizing the facts so well in your response to my first set of questions. You have given me some things to think about. As a Christian, I have immediate points of divergence from the Urantia book. So, if you would bear with me, I will think a bit about what you have said. There are already many more questions running through my mind but I need to do a bit more contemplation about what you have presented. If I dare say, you did this with more clarity than I have seen in the Urantia Book itself.

Perhaps you will also have some questions for me. I hope this conversation will continue. Meanwhile, I shall return.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 11:49AM #4
Amadon

I appreciate your questions; they stimulate my thinking and sometimes I need that!

I attended several Christian churches for over a decade so I am familiar with much Christian theology.  In fact, one of the articles I wrote for a Urantian journal was: "The Christian Connection."  You can find a link to it at www.thespiritualfellowship.org/index_fil... This is on the website thespiritualfellowship.org.  You might also like to view my videos about Jesus on that website.

OK, here's a question for you:  I go to a Unitarian Universalist church.  We only have two African-Americans out of 105 members.  the UU's are concerned with becoming more multi-cultural.  I think the majority of white Christian churches are in the same boat.  Someone has said that Sunday morning is the most segregated time of the week.  Why is this?  How do we change this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2010 - 9:14AM #5
Truthprecepts

Mar 5, 2010 -- 11:49AM, Amadon wrote:

OK, here's a question for you:  I go to a Unitarian Universalist church.  We only have two African-Americans out of 105 members.  the UU's are concerned with becoming more multi-cultural.  I think the majority of white Christian churches are in the same boat.  Someone has said that Sunday morning is the most segregated time of the week.  Why is this?  How do we change this?

I must say that I am not able to say why your observation is the case, or how to change things. I simply know that true faith in God transcends racial or such boundaries and the human conceptualizations about such boundaries. 

Where the lines are drawn, in my understanding, has to do with the separation between truth and what is not true; between what is godly and what is not. This has nothing to do with the races or what have you. I strongly believe that a church that both teaches and practices the truth and true godliness will appeal to those who truly seek the truth and true godliness irrespective of their races.

You may notice that I have purposefully used the word “truth” and it derivatives. This is deliberate because there are so many suggestions that may appear to be true. Therefore, one must critically examine any suggestion put forth before subscribing to it or fleeing from it as the case may be. Many people have not done this and have become trapped in deception that appears to be true. This is precisely why I am examining the Urantia Book. I admit that, so far, I am not convinced that it represents the truth.

I gathered that the Urantia Book does not teach the reality of hell or teaches contrary to the idea that there is a hell. Is this correct? If so, I have these questions for you about Satan. What does the Urantia Book teach about his destiny? Is it the same as for humans?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2010 - 11:50AM #6
Amadon

Hi Again,

No, the Urantia Book does not support the idea of Hell or some place of eternal torment.  Well, the Uranita Book identifies Satan as Lucifer's right hand man.  Lucifer was the spiritual head of a division of the universe known as a Local System.  Christ Michael, as the divine portion of Jesus' personality is known, is the spiritual head of a Local Universe, a much higher level division of the whole universe.  Anyhow, Lucifer rebelled against Christ Michael and declared that God is a fiction.  He led a system wide rebellion.  He was consequently incarcerated.  After adjudication, if he does not repent and accept rehabilitation he will cease to exist.  Since Satan went along with him, he will suffer the same fate.

I know it sounds complicated; if the earth were the only inhabited planet in the universe, no spiritual administrative structure would be needed.  But the authors of the UBk say that there are innumerable inhabited planets because it's part of our Father's plan.

I would expect intelligent people to be skeptical the first time they read the Urantia Book.  I know of several Christian ministers who read the book with the idea of proving it's baloney; they ended up believing at least part of it.  I think that anyone who is a spiritual seeker who reads papers 99-103 will find truth in what the authors say about prayer, worship, faith, belief, and religions experience.  Likewise, those who read the papers about the life and teachings of Jesus can see not only the divine nature of Jesus in there but the very human nature of Jesus and what a human hero he was.  I think it is of value even if you read it as historical fiction.  if you love the Jesus of the Bible, I think you'll love the Jesus of the Urantia Book as much or even more.

If someone asked me if I believe the Urantia Book, I'd say that I  believe the parts that seem to belivable.  There is some outdated science in the book that I certainly don't believe for instance.  But I think the papers about the nature of God for instance sound true to me.  My advice is to keep the best and forget the rest.  Shalom, Dick

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2010 - 1:16PM #7
Truthprecepts

Mar 6, 2010 -- 11:50AM, Amadon wrote:

If someone asked me if I believe the Urantia Book, I'd say that I  believe the parts that seem to belivable.  There is some outdated science in the book that I certainly don't believe for instance.  But I think the papers about the nature of God for instance sound true to me.  My advice is to keep the best and forget the rest. 

I do not feel the same way about the Bible as you seem to feel about the Urantia Book. This is strictly going by what you have said.

I see the Bible as being spiritually invigorating and re-assuring, historically correct, prophetically accurate, socially viable and, as a guide for living, impeccable. The Bible is ageless – meaning not subject to change with time. It has been before the likes of the Urantia Book and, unlike the latter that already has obsolete portions according to you, the Bible retains the continuing veracity of all of its parts.

Can you say of the Urantia Book, as I am able to say about the Bible, that it is the basis for assessing all that is true? If not, as you have implied in your post, how do I know that it is actually telling me the truth even in the parts that I may be willing to accept on the basis of my present assessment and conclusions? Such conclusions that I may reach may change with time as I learn more. I do not feel the same sense of uncertainty about the Bible through all of the scrutiny to which I and other serious (impartial and non-contentious) students of the Bible have subjected it to.

Please enlighten me more about why the Bible is not sufficient and why I need the Urantia Book.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 4:07AM #8
Norm

Hi Felix, is that you? Wow, small world!

Hi Amadon. St. Maries, ID, right? I don't know if you remember, I told you I lived in Missoula for many years. Sorry I'm not on the Urantia Family board much. I can't seem to get the hang of that Wetpaint thing. Also, most of the time I'm swamped on a couple of Yahoo groups I'm on. That's where I met Felix. By the way, I disagree that there is "some outdated science" in the book. And I'm not sure who exactly is qualified to make that statement. I mean, I don't think the average reader is qualified to make it to the great unwashed. What science is in there that you don't believe?

I almost was unable to complete the signup for this Beliefnet. That flashing sign on the first page gave me a headache and I began to fear that some sort of seizure was going to be next. Finally I tapped some card stock over the screen. I appreciate that Beliefnet has to advertise, but I wonder if they know just how hard that one is to even have around. 

Anyway, gotta go. Take care both of you.

Norm.

Mar 6, 2010 -- 1:16PM, Truthprecepts wrote:

Mar 6, 2010 -- 11:50AM, Amadon wrote:

If someone asked me if I believe the Urantia Book, I'd say that I  believe the parts that seem to belivable.  There is some outdated science in the book that I certainly don't believe for instance.  But I think the papers about the nature of God for instance sound true to me.  My advice is to keep the best and forget the rest. 

I do not feel the same way about the Bible as you seem to feel about the Urantia Book. This is strictly going by what you have said.

I see the Bible as being spiritually invigorating and re-assuring, historically correct, prophetically accurate, socially viable and, as a guide for living, impeccable. The Bible is ageless – meaning not subject to change with time. It has been before the likes of the Urantia Book and, unlike the latter that already has obsolete portions according to you, the Bible retains the continuing veracity of all of its parts.

Can you say of the Urantia Book, as I am able to say about the Bible, that it is the basis for assessing all that is true? If not, as you have implied in your post, how do I know that it is actually telling me the truth even in the parts that I may be willing to accept on the basis of my present assessment and conclusions? Such conclusions that I may reach may change with time as I learn more. I do not feel the same sense of uncertainty about the Bible through all of the scrutiny to which I and other serious (impartial and non-contentious) students of the Bible have subjected it to.

Please enlighten me more about why the Bible is not sufficient and why I need the Urantia Book.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 7:12AM #9
Truthprecepts

Hi Norm,

Nice to see you, Norm! Since I have now taken up this discussion at the Vital Truth and Precepts forum, and as things pick up there, my visits here may become curtailed.

Perhaps, Amadon, you may like to join us there? It is a Yahoo group. To join the forum, simply click on THIS LINK - vitaltruth-and-precepts.grouply.com/ and click on “JOIN THE GROUP” tab on the right side of the page. You may have to create a YAHOO ID if you do not already have one, just follow the on-screen instructions to set up your YAHOO ID. It does not take long.

Take care,

Felix

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 7:56AM #10
Ageo

Mar 4, 2010 -- 11:34AM, Truthprecepts wrote:

The Urantia Book seems to quote several Bible passages.  This is causing me to ponder a number of questions that I would like to pose to the committed readers of this book:

What significance does the Bible hold for the readers of the Urantia Book?

How does the Urantia Book address the question of ultimate accountability and the ultimate destiny of people in comparison to what the Bible teaches?

What is the role of Jesus Christ in the life of a committed reader of the Urantia Book?

Let us begin the discussion here and, perhaps, other questions may arise as the discussion progresses.

Please share your thoughts, explanations or questions and thank you!

It's a side of a story.

Melchizedek was a drunkard that honored Abraham.  Abraham was the alpha, root of the vine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook