Switch to Forum Live View Atheism and ... secular philosophies?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 12:29AM #1
Wiscidea

Hello Fellow "Non-Believers"!

I was just wondering ... is anyone out there fond of one particular secular philosophy or another? I suspect most atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and the like don't fit into nice neat pigeon holes. So I guess I'm really wondering ... do you lean toward one secular philosophy or another? Is there some sort of  approach to life you enjoy studying, drawing on, a source of inspiration? Something you'd recommend others look into?

I'm always looking for new and interesting perspectives. I think I'm in the mood to read something I wouldn't normally pick up. Sort of overdosing on the Buddhism lately; must let go of it and move on. 

This is the third time I've tried this experiment and I'm looking forward to, once again, learning something new, interesting, inspirational, and valuable.

Thank you! Smile

DISCLAIMER: This post is not meant to suggest that any or all atheists have or do not have some sort of pre-packaged belief system or choose values willy-nilly. I'm merely interested in hearing from those who might find some sort of philosophical tradition particularly interesting for one reason or another. The person posting this material is not obligated to, nor will he, defend his question as appropriate or inappropriate and will respect the decisions of the local moderator. Offer valid where prohibited by law or common decency. Namaste!

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 1:11AM #2
BlackWingBlueSky

Mar 4, 2010 -- 12:29AM, Wiscidea wrote:

I was just wondering ... is anyone out there fond of one particular secular philosophy or another?

I don't know much about philosophy (and honestly, when I try to read about it my eyes tend to cross) but I like what I've read about stoicism.  It seems to go in heavily for common sense.

Sandy

I've seen normal, and I'm not impressed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 1:14AM #3
mountain_man

What do you have in mind by "secular philosophy"? Much of philosophy is secular in that it deals with the profane, not religion. Or Secular Humanist philosophy kind of stuff? Paul Kurtz is very prolific and seems to be read by many.

Or are you looking for Atheist type books? George H. Smith wrote a book; Atheism, The Case Against God. It's a must read.

How about a philosophy/psychology? Read up on Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 5:41AM #4
Eudaimonist

Mar 4, 2010 -- 12:29AM, Wiscidea wrote:

I was just wondering ... is anyone out there fond of one particular secular philosophy or another?

Yes, certainly.  I like Stoicism, Epicureanism, Aristotelianism, Ayn Rand's Objectivism, and variants on these.  My own philosophy, which I call Eudaimonism, is a blend of these.

So I guess I'm really wondering ... do you lean toward one secular philosophy or another?

I count Eudaimonism as both a philosophical and a spiritual path. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 11:34AM #5
Agnosticspirit

If you're looking for something entirely new and off the charts to read, it's hard to recommend that since I have no idea what may be off the charts or perfectly standard for you. If you haven't yet indulged in MYTHosophy, anything Joseph Campbell may suit.... Wink

I don't read so many philosophical tomes, but have you read Sophie's World? A trip through the history of philosophy in an accessible way for people like me that find more formal works a little too technical and dry.

My reading tends to biography, history, various subjects in nonfiction and fiction.  Currenty working my way through The Greenlanders, by Jane Smiley. She manages to match the stoic and understated tone used by many of the writers in the Icelandic Sagas... Even as she uses dreams and prophetic foreshadowing of a society in decline, you hold your breath and hope for a more hopeful outcome.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 12:07PM #6
mountain_man

Don't forget; if you need something for your mp3 player, go to Librivox. They have a HUGE selection of 9,700 titles in several audio formats - all for free. They just put up Timaeus by Plato. They are free because the books are read by volunteers and all the books are in the public domain.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 1:15PM #7
farragut

If you'd like to search out rare writings, you might check Emmett Field's  Bank of Wisdom.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook