Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 9:28AM #11
UwishUwereMe
My absolutely FAVORITE hymn of all times is still found in the RLDS/Community of Christ Hymn book, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 9:37AM #12
Ageo

Feb 28, 2010 -- 8:53PM, Lavender wrote:

Am I a bad person because I sometimes doubt the faith?

Doubt arises with reason.

Ask why you doubt.  Seek understanding, and eliminate doubt.

Ask.  Seek.  Knock.  Ask our father, and he will answer, but do not expect an answer from him.  Ask with humility.  Ask without expecting in your right eye.  To ask out of greed, one reaps the results of greed.

To knock upon a door, one may receive a response, or find that no one is home.  Thus, one might wait, and see.  Growing and learning in their own home, before knocking upon the door of the father.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 10:05AM #13
Lavender

Thank you, Bill and Ageo.

UWish, I know the song.

I turned to the Scriptures, like I should have. It's really amazing that some of the greatest Bible/BoM characters had their times of doubt, as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 11:42AM #14
UwishUwereMe
Look at Job.  He sometimes had doubt, but his faith over-rided his doubt.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 1:30PM #15
Lavender

Thing is, there really isn't one single doctrine I can put my finger on. When I do doubt, it's like this nebulous cloud. But, like I said, I'm better today.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 1:39PM #16
UwishUwereMe
Well, Lavender, I think you know enough about my back ground, and some of my personal "struggles" to know I am always filled with doubt. 

But, then again, I see things for what they are.  I see a church filled with people with different opinions.  the Church has what 15 million people in it?  There are going to be 15 million different opinions about a whole host of things.

I think, when we talk about people calling us a "cult," maybe in the earlier stages the Church was more "Cult-like." But now... I think if it was at one time leaning inthat direction, it has exploded past the ability for it to be cult like. 

I think the size of the LDS population and the people that identify with "Mormonism" and all of the restoration Churches out there, the "cult-factor" has kind of gone away. 

the last thing the Church has control over is anyone's mind.  It is pretty easy to control a few hundred or even a few thousand people for once you get into the 10s of MILLIONS, the cult factor has pretty well disintegrated. 

I think the BoM has many great stories of doubt, and how doubt can be over come. 

We can can differ on the literal interpretation of scriptures.  The Church officially says "take them literally."  But Whether of not do is personal.  The biggest thing is, that we are one LDS family.  We can fight and scrap, and disagree, but EVERYONE'S basic testimony is about the same.  I know (or believe) this Church to be "true."  I know that it ultimately teaches to love each other, to go off and do good in the world.  Trust in our friend and savior Jesus Christ.  That's all that matters.

Doubt sucks, but when you go back to the basics of the Church it erases all doubt.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 1:50PM #17
Lavender

Thanks, UWish. You know, when I'm in the celestial room, I have to MAKE myself get up, because I don't want to leave. Maybe that's what I need right now: to sit in the celestial room.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 1:52PM #18
UwishUwereMe
It's probably one of the closest places to heaven you can get here on earth...
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 1:59PM #19
Lavender

One of my favorite Scriptures deal with doubt on another level:

Isaiah 49:13-16

"Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, o earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy on his afflicted. But Zion hath said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook