Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Mormonism 101 at Harvard
8 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 9:27AM #21
UwishUwereMe
Ayla:  On the other hand, I also know more than one Catholic who doesn't really believe in Transubstantiation either, official theology or not

UWUWM:  I also know many Catholics, and many that are "catholic out of tradition" more than they are Catholic because they devoutly believe EVERYTHING the Catholic Church teaches.  If you look through the My Pastor thread... I mention friends I know that are Catholic simply because it is as much a cultural thing as it is a religion to them... actually it is more a cultural thing with some of them than the religious aspect.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 11:48AM #22
Lavender

I can totally understand the "tradition" thing. Should I remain some flavor of Baptist out of tradition? Some people are uncomfortable going out of their "circle", but I've never been that way, probably because I was a military brat.

But it was more than just tradition; I knew my mom would flip out, and I had to make a decision. For some people, that's not an easy thing to do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 2:26PM #23
UwishUwereMe
I can totally understand the "tradition" thing. Should I remain some flavor of Baptist out of tradition

UWUWM:  It's been more of a struggle with friends that are Mexican and Irish.  To them you are basically giving up your identity or who you are if you are no longer Catholic.  To them the Irish is as important as being catholic. 

That's why a good majority of Latin Saints still go to mass and are "Crypto-Catholic" after joining the LDS Church.  It's more that "just Church" to them.  It is their heritage and culture.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook