Switch to Forum Live View Spellwork question from Newbie
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 5:39PM #1
Sam77

When is the right time to begin simple spellwork?  When it feels right to me, is my thought...Must I complete some type of (forgive me if I use the wrong term) commitment ritual before spellwork? 

Bright Blessing,

Lindsay

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 7:40AM #2
CreakyHedgewitch

Lindsay,

The answers I would offer would be, yes to your first question and possibly to the second.

Spellcraft isn't copyrighted or owned by any belief system or 'people'. As long as there have been written records, there have been examples of folk-magic and/or spellcraft. Today, there are dozens of different "systems" of spellcraft that one can choose to learn or borrow from. That includes the modern Craft, which I as a Witch do not define as merely the practice of magic although some folks do.

The necessity to do any kind of a commitment ritual therefore is going to depend on what the context is, in which you are practicing spellcraft. If for example, you are just starting out testing simple spells you have come across in books or the Web, such as the generic Pagan versions out there, it is entirely up to you if you feel the need to mark this with a beginning ritual of some kind. There is no hierachy, no authorities within the Craft, all Witches are and remain autonomous. Now other systems of magic may be organized differently, i.e.: teachers, heads of orders etc..

If you have embraced the Craft as a Witch whose core belief is in a deity or deities, then you might choose to make an ethical commitment or oath to them about how and why you would practice spellcraft. If your core belief is not the Divine and yet you personally felt the need to do a ritual about how and why you are practicing the Craft aka spellcraft going forward, it would be up to you to decide what that entailed. If you were learning spellcraft as part of a Coven or any kind of group to which you had already agreed to 'how we do things' and they have a commitment ritual one takes first, then you would do so.

I would offer only one piece of advice, unasked. The why anyone does spellcraft is even more important than the how. The "why" is guided and shaped by one's ethics. As well, 99% of the time, once one has examined the why a more mundane solution tends to be easier, IME. That said, the most effective spellcrafting IME is that which is directed inward not outward.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2010 - 12:16AM #3
ManzanitaBear

I've only just gained the confidence to start doing spellwork on my own. This came after a couple of years of participating in open rituals with a Unitarian Pagan group. From the rituals, I had a sense of how to cast a circle and what people might do when casting a spell. I realized when I went to do it on my own that circle casting is quite different alone from in a group, and I did a simple, shortened version of it.

I did two spells in the past week or so, both of them pretty much spur of the moment. The first one had to do with banishing/transforming a very painful situation. I'd thought for some time that I ought to ritually burn something that represented that situation for me. I finally had a perfect moment to do that a couple of weeks ago, being home alone, with space to burn something safely, and having almost accidentally found something to burn. It turned into a ritual of the elements: fire to burn it; wind (air) was blowing while I burned it, scattering the ashes, water to put the fire out... and the last step will have to be burying the rest of the ash, which I haven't been able to do yet, not having a yard or a convenient patch of earth.

A few days later, I was looking at an old issue of Sagewoman magazine, and a suggested ritual spoke to me. I ended up changing it somewhat--first, I didn't have access to all the materials they suggested, so I had to make some substitutions, then I ended up doing some things differently just because it felt right to me. That was an even more powerful spell... also about clearing things out... and it left me feeling as if I'd been badly congested and eaten some super hot chili peppers that cleared it right out.

So yes, when it feels right, it is right. For preliminaries, ground and give yourself a safe space. Casting a circle does that nicely.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook