Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 8:14PM #11
Lavender

I'm sure some do, UWish; but from where? Oral Roberts? It ain't even worth the paper it's printed on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 8:03PM #12
BillThinks4Himself

If you're talking about some barney who uses his grad-school education to prey upon the unsuspecting, by all means, treat yourself to a Good Will Hunting moment.  But make no mistake about it, running a modern-day church is no small feat and the education these people receive is not to be laughed at.  Their theology may differ from yours, and some do come straight out of diploma mills, but the average preacher with a degree today is a force to be reckoned with.  These are serious people with serious educational attainments, though much of that education is in running a church, not just scriptural interpretation.  The average program today involves courses in psychology, organizational behavior and business management.  In the better programs, people come out able to read and write in Greek and Hebrew.  Even among those who can't, the job of running a modern church is like running a business.  They are employing staffs of people, running classes, coordinating bus lines, and sometimes coordinating radio and television programs as well.  In the bigger churches, the size of the organization is on part with that of a local college.  It's not laughable stuff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 8:25PM #13
Lavender

I was speaking of televangelists. I do know that most pastors are required to have a degree in theology, but I wasn't talking about them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 4:58PM #14
BillThinks4Himself

Yeah, a lot of televangelists are just Dr. Phils with a Bible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 5:34PM #15
Lavender

I love your sense of humor, Bill!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 9:31PM #16
moksha8088

Feb 26, 2010 -- 8:14PM, Lavender wrote:

I'm sure some do, UWish; but from where? Oral Roberts? It ain't even worth the paper it's printed on.

It certainly is no BYU-I.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2010 - 10:30AM #17
UwishUwereMe
The "strisght up" Dog & Poney Televangelists might be Dr. Phils with bibles.  But as Bill pointed out.  Many are well educated froom legit universities. 

Around here Mac Hammond, runs a HUGE mega Church that they televise on Sundays.  If you think about it, he is literally running a multi-million doller/year company.  Yes, he does have a Ph.d in Psychology, an MBA, and some degrees in other business related fields.  That's partially why he preaches the "Prosperity Gospel." 

Many, even like Joel Osteen are well educated and articulate.  One nice thing about Osteen is that he seems accepting of Mormons as Christians.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2010 - 4:06PM #18
Lavender

Speaking of BYU, my friend's son got accepted to the one in Provo (is that correct?) But, like many mothers, she's conflicted about letting him go.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 5:30PM #19
BillThinks4Himself

Mar 1, 2010 -- 4:06PM, Lavender wrote:

Speaking of BYU, my friend's son got accepted to the one in Provo (is that correct?) But, like many mothers, she's conflicted about letting him go.

BYU is a great place to send your kids for a college education.  Voted the soberest school in the nation, it provides a ton of opportunities other than parties and college sex.  If a student is going to college to actually learn something, BYU is among the best places to attend.  Most of my professors were graduates from Ivy League schools.  I found the competition keen and exciting.  I found the cost of living cheap and the perks tremendous.  The only thing that would prevent me from going back, if I could (I can't because BYU doesn't generally readmit students for additional degrees), it's the Utah County helmet.  I enjoyed my time at BYU but felt it was increasingly inching to the right, and that some folks' political predilections were becoming the ruling mindset.  I also felt, after six-and-a-half years of living in Utah County, there were adjustment issues re-entering the outside world.

But as schools go, I have fond memories of BYU and a lot of gratitude in my heart for those who made it a special experience.  I don't think I'd have had the same experience at a "normal" state school.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 5:45PM #20
UwishUwereMe
BYU...it provides a ton of opportunities other than parties and college sex.

UWUWM:  Then why even go to school?  Why do you think I continued for my advanced degrees? 

The Navy is good for Parties and Military Sex especially for Officers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook