Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 4:07PM #1
Lavender

I used your term, UWish. Maybe now we can move on. I was speaking with a rabbi (and yes, I call him rabbi) and he said that the Torah was organized thus: the first book written is the first, the second appears second, etc, while our OT is more chronological in way of events. I don't know if this is true; I'm just using it as an example.

Say Exodus was written first; it would appear first in the Torah. But, people would ask, How did the earth get here? We're jumping in mid-flow, so the OT puts Genesis first to give a backdrop. And, Bill is right in that our OT has been rearranged, not just for event chronology, but to prove a specific point: to wit, that Jesus is Messiah.

**For those of you who are totally lost, this is a continuation (sort of) of "My pastor KNOWS" thread.**

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 4:33PM #2
UwishUwereMe
Lavender:  I was speaking with a rabbi (and yes, I call him rabbi)

UWUWM:  Other than Rebbe, what else would you call a Rabbi? 

I call the local Catholic Priest bank home "Father" when I see him. 

That's his title.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 4:36PM #3
UwishUwereMe
Not sure how this totally 'relates' to the My Pastor thread, but you have done a fabulous stating the obvious. 

However I don't think The arrangement of the Books of the OT has anything to do with proving Jesus Christ as the Messiah.  Again, the rearrangement of the Bible as a whole was the work of the Roman Catholics.  Also Why Maccabees 1 and 2 are included in the Catholic Bible and not in anyone elses.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 6:01PM #4
Lavender

UWish-

I thought a fresh start without any of the "negative" feelings of the other thread should at least be attempted. I, also, call Catholic priests Father and nuns Sister; I do it out of respect.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 9:53AM #5
UwishUwereMe
It's also their title.  I mean It's like calling a Doctor, Doctor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 2:43PM #6
Acts 28:22

Here in the south it can get a little more unusual.  I'm sure Lavender can attest to some of the local televangelists that don't have a national audience (yet)

I remember flipping through the channels and finding this program;  I don't remember the real names of the ministers but it sounded and looked something like this...the first two people introduced were Reverend-Doctor Dwight Hill TH.D and Reverend-Doctor Dorean Hutto (she didn't have the TH.D at the end of her name but was wearing a high necked, long sleeved evening dress with lots of rhinestones.)  There was an Evangelist Billy-Bob Turner added to the mix and they were all soon joined by someone simply called Apostle Tony.  One of the men was  wearing clerical vestments, one an Italian-cut business suit and the other a sports jacket and tan slacks. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 2:48PM #7
UwishUwereMe
One of the Larger Lutheran Churches had a Minister on local TV, The "Reverend-Doctor"  Dan Busche.  I believe all this stands for is that they have received a Doctorate in Theology or Seminary. 

There used to be Ministers that just went by (example) Dr. Dan Busche.  Now they must feel obligated to highlight the "Reverend" as much as the "Doctor."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 3:04PM #8
Acts 28:22

Feb 26, 2010 -- 2:48PM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

One of the Larger Lutheran Churches had a Minister on local TV, The "Reverend-Doctor"  Dan Busche.  I believe all this stands for is that they have received a Doctorate in Theology or Seminary.    There used to be Ministers that just went by (example) Dr. Dan Busche.  Now they must feel obligated to highlight the "Reverend" as much as the "Doctor."

OK, but did they call him Reverend-Doctor Dan Busche, TH.D?  I would be surprised if some of the ministers I described did not have correspondence degrees that required no class attendance if you catch my drift....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 3:15PM #9
Lavender

Oh, geez. These people get "honorary" doctorates and think they can tell everyone else what to do. Like Joyce Meyer. My mom loves her, but I'm like "Lady, give it a break." I don't think she has an honorary doctorate, but give her time. I wonder if these people even take their own advice. What would be really funny would be Benny Hinn getting sick; that would be hilarious, considering he's a big proponent of the "health and wealth" philosophy. "What's the matter Benny? Don't you have any faith?"

OK, sorry I went on THAT rampage. Still, these people annoy the heck out of me; I'd rather be bored than to watch them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 3:41PM #10
UwishUwereMe
Many of these people OTOH do have legit degrees in theology, arabic or hebrew studies, biblical studies, studies in the biblical lands... etc.  Many do not but I would guess just as many do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook