Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

8 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2010 - 8:27PM #1
Ironhold

Here goes.

Today, my folks got called into the bishop's office for a brief discussion.

Apparently, some high muckety-muck is debating whether or not to allow missionaries to continue living in apartments or to instead have them move in with members of the respective congregations.

My folks are among the handful of families that the bishop of our ward has asked about the prospect of playing host.

We can't house them.

The one spare bedroom we have is permanently reserved for when we have family coming down, which happens several times a year. Thus, we'd have to convert either the patio or part of the garage into a room. On top of that, they'd need their own entrance / exit and their own bathroom. Getting all of this in place would be a major undertaking, and would require both time and money we do not really have.

Furthermore, housing them would likely require us to forgoe the TV, radio, and whatnot when they're here at the house; this wouldn't really work, as owing to my current mental state I need a constant stream of music or other stimuli to help me pull it all together.* The fact that I'm a night owl and they'd have to be in bed early would just be salt in the wound.

This should be enough to settle the question right then and there, but it's not. Whereas the bishop was merely asking if we could, my mom is taking it to mean that he wants us to even though it's clearly not the case. She's been on it almost non-stop ever since church ended, such that even though she admits that we can't do it she still feels like we have to anyway.

Any ideas as to what I can tell her to get her to knock it off? We weren't the only family who was asked about possibly hosting them, and so if we can't do it then we can't do it; end of discussion.

Thanks.

*I'm massively bi-polar, and so am constantly either peaking out or hitting valleys. Having something going in the background helps take the edges off and so makes it a little easier for me to focus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2010 - 8:57PM #2
BillThinks4Himself

Having missionaries live with members is a really bad idea, but that's another issue for another day.  In my experience, people get called in when the ward or stake has a need.  It's not Jesus standing at the door, knocking pathetically.  In my ward, a guy got called in to be a stake missionary and was told the new calling would require a minimum of ten hours per week.  Although the interview started out with the words, "The Lord has a calling for you," that direction changed when the guy asked where he was supposed to find the time.  He was going to school full time and working full time.  He also had a wife and three kids.  He didn't have ten hours to give.  A moment later, the member of the stake presidency left the room and came back with, "You're off the hook."

Can you imagine what would have happened had he accepted the calling simply because somebody in the stake thought he'd be a good choice?

These guys don't know your situation.  They have a problem.  They have limited time.  They look into all their options.  Then they dress it up in religious language.  There are lazy members who never do anything, for which sermons have been given, about accepting the calls that are made.  But sometimes, you need to speak up and not simply say, "yes," when there's an issue.

You would be the best ace in the hole your parents have.  If you're suffering from bipolar disorder and you need a certain degree of continuity to your life, along with access to your music and entertainment, having missionaries living over at your house is a really bad idea.  I'd never be able to relax.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 3:28AM #3
moksha8088

Iron, this would be the time for tea bags when it comes to the forced quartering of missonaries. Wink

Is this just a trial request in your area, or do you know if such a request is more widespread?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 10:12AM #4
UwishUwereMe
Geez, Iron I feel for ya.  No one gets between me and my hard rock, punk, ska, and alternative music.

All totally NOT appropriate for missionaries to be near.  Nor is any for of talk radio. 

I think that as long as you are living under your parents' roof, and you are a contributing member of that society... then you have the right to voice your opinion.  What are they thinking?  Are they willing to spite their son to host a couple of Missionaries?

Some questions I would be also asking are:  Do we only host 1 pair of missionaries until they are transferred?  Do we host new transfers?  Is this s one-time-thing?

I would want to know specifics, but I think you deserve to be in on the decision. 

Just my 2 cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 1:32PM #5
Ironhold

I know that, in my town at least, we're backwards when it comes to the housing market: we've entirely too many properties available for sale (yet more are going up anyway... Money mouth ), but a dearth of rental properties.

As such, the missionaries keep getting bounced back and forth between different apartment complexes depending upon who offers the most reasonable rate and whether or not the landlord is being a jerk. It seems like they've not stayed in any one complex longer than about for years.

It's possible, then, that the mission president is simply looking to avoid the hassle of apartment-hunting by simply having the missionaries move in with trustworthy members. Thing is, if that's the case then it's little more than a stop-gap measure since not many families in this ward (and, I'm thinking, a lot of the other wards) would be able to put them up for very long, if at all; a lot of the members in the area live in military housing, which means that they'd be unable to take them in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 2:18PM #6
UwishUwereMe
The idea seems good, but executing it does sound to be a problem.  Now MY parents would be perfect, old retired farmers with a huge empty house and they rarely watch TV of ever... and all of the music they listen to would be considered bland by missionary standards.

Here, too, the missionaries (in their respective areas) are always moving around.  I remember some of the missionaries lived in the complex I used to live in.  5 years ago it was about $1,500/month for a small one-bedroom.  I think two bedroom units started at $2k or more.  Then they were in a place on the other end of this suburb in a $700/month for two bedroom.  They were bounced all over. 

I think if the Church purchased or built some sort of housing for the missionaries it would be less expensive in the long run.

This doesn't all have to be done at once, but over time I think it could pay off.

I dunno, Iron, I would just tell the folks it's a no go on this one, unless they are willing to entertain renting (and paying for) an apartment for you.  Better yet, maybe you can convince them to just buy you a house.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 6:13PM #7
Lavender

Not a good idea. What happens if someone comes home angry and wants music or something to smooth ruffled feathers? I'm vegetarian, so would the missionaries be forced to eat as vegetarians because I only allow my cat's food to be meat? I have a one-bedroom; where will they sleep? BAD idea!

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 4:06AM #8
moksha8088

Would a mushroom cellar be conducive to missionary living?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 9:58AM #9
UwishUwereMe
Moksha: Would a mushroom cellar be conducive to missionary living?

UWUWM:  I would guess better than a wine cellar.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook