Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Gay-marriage battle endangers voices
8 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 9:30AM #1
Acts 28:22

Gay-marriage battle endangers voices   <<<

"I believe that the greatest challenge faced by the church," Elder Wickman said, "is the challenge to religious liberty that is growing worldwide. ... A battle is looming over the effort to acquire civil social rights at the expense of civil religious rights. This battle, I believe, represents the acceleration of a disturbing slide downward in the law regarding the place of religion in the public square."

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2010 - 1:42PM #2
BillThinks4Himself

Feb 12, 2010 -- 9:30AM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

Gay-marriage battle endangers voices   <<<

"I believe that the greatest challenge faced by the church," Elder Wickman said, "is the challenge to religious liberty that is growing worldwide. ... A battle is looming over the effort to acquire civil social rights at the expense of civil religious rights. This battle, I believe, represents the acceleration of a disturbing slide downward in the law regarding the place of religion in the public square."

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.  It's getting where you can no longer use God to exclude a group from protection of their civil rights.

The day the government forces the LDS Church to admit gays or send them to the temple, or even to marry them in either civil marriages or temple marriages for all time and eternity, that's the day when Mormons can cry foul - with merit - and complain that their religious rights have been violated.  Not diminishing someone else's civil rights is hardly the same as diminishing your religious rights.  That Elder Wickman fails to understand this is unfortunate.  That he gets to use his position to play Chicken Little is just sad.  That people will open their mouths and happily swallow the poison is even sadder.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook