Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Wyoming Public Schools Resist Promotion of Homosexuality
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 2:06PM #1
Acts 28:22

Public Schools Resist Promotion of Homosexuality  <<

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 4:01PM #2
UwishUwereMe
How is it "promoting" it just to teach about it... that it exists? 

This is one reason I like Minnesota.  To simply teach that it exists and that it is nothing to be feared it not necessarily promoting it.  Perhaps teaching people to not fear it or people that are, may lead to understanding and acceptance and avoid Matthew Shepard like incidents??  Perhaps?
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 5:41PM #3

Feb 10, 2010 -- 4:01PM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

How is it "promoting" it just to teach about it... that it exists?    This is one reason I like Minnesota.  To simply teach that it exists and that it is nothing to be feared it not necessarily promoting it.  Perhaps teaching people to not fear it or people that are, may lead to understanding and acceptance and avoid Matthew Shepard like incidents??  Perhaps?

[GROAN] UW, Please go back and carefully re-read the article! I read of no objection to the program; I read of objections to banners that the ACLU, a political organization insists be hung in the schools before the schools are allowed participate.

If the article is to believed, it appears that the ACLU is more interested in SELF promotion, getting the names of themselves and  other political organizations with agendas, in front of Wyoming's  schoolchildren,...than it is in having the  actual program used.

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 5:56PM #4
UwishUwereMe
I read the article, ACTS.  I do not see why this banner is such a big deal?  ALSO the Platte county scools seem to have their own "hidden agenda."  They seem like if the banners we not up they could skirt the "homo" issue. 

Seriously.  It makes sense that something like the ACLU and a GLBT, LGBT, or a BLT would also be promoting this sort of thing. 

I like my BLT with a hardboiled egg.  That's an upper midwestern thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 5:58PM #5
UwishUwereMe
Joe Fabian, a school board member, said the ADL is a political organization with an agenda which is not necessarily supported by Platte County Schools.

-What, pray tell, is this 'agenda' that Mr. Fabian so opposed to?

Explain...

"We believe that our children are our children," he said. "We would like to regulate what goes on in our school system, and what's being taught to our children and grandchildren."

It could be followed up with... Therefore, we will not hang the banner which will remind us to teach of ALL diversity including homosexuals...
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 8:33PM #6
BillThinks4Himself

Feb 10, 2010 -- 5:41PM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

Feb 10, 2010 -- 4:01PM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

How is it "promoting" it just to teach about it... that it exists?    This is one reason I like Minnesota.  To simply teach that it exists and that it is nothing to be feared it not necessarily promoting it.  Perhaps teaching people to not fear it or people that are, may lead to understanding and acceptance and avoid Matthew Shepard like incidents??  Perhaps?

[GROAN] UW, Please go back and carefully re-read the article! I read of no objection to the program; I read of objections to banners that the ACLU, a political organization insists be hung in the schools before the schools are allowed participate.

If the article is to believed, it appears that the ACLU is more interested in SELF promotion, getting the names of themselves and  other political organizations with agendas, in front of Wyoming's  schoolchildren,...than it is in having the  actual program used.

Why would the ACLU think the average student would support protection of hated minorities?  Why would it care whether the students knew the names of the lawyers working for the ACLU?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 9:52PM #7
moksha8088

What say we corner the board members of that Wyoming school district on the playground and give them a wedgie. As Theodore Roosevelt may have said, "Bully for Wyoming!".

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 10:02AM #8
UwishUwereMe
First, Acts, it is the Anti-Defamation-League, not the ACLU.

Second... It says nothing about the names of the Lawyers working for the ACLU, one of the names on the banner is the Gay & Lesbian League of Colorado.

But, the real issue is not that the school, the ADL, or the ACLU is trying to teach the "promotion OF homosexuality," but rather promote understanding of homosexuality.

We learned about homosexuality in 6TH Grade sex-ed.  We learned about it in EVERY health class until I graduated.  It was NOT "promoted" but explained and talked about.  It was also said that if anyone has further questions or may be having those feelings the Highschool Counselors and the Health teachers were available to be met with privately.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 3:20PM #9

Feb 11, 2010 -- 10:02AM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

First, Acts, it is the Anti-Defamation-League, not the ACLU.

you are correct, it is the ADL

Second... It says nothing about the names of the Lawyers working for the ACLU

I said nothing about lawyers; I think that was Bill

, one of the names on the banner is the Gay & Lesbian League of Colorado.

Correct

But, the real issue is not that the school, the ADL, or the ACLU is trying to teach the "promotion OF homosexuality," but rather promote understanding of homosexuality.

I thought it was about bullying and hate and not just against homosexuals.  I read nothing about objections to the program itself, just the banners.  It was the ADL that refused for the program to be used without having their banners being displayed in the schools

We learned about homosexuality in 6TH Grade sex-ed.  We learned about it in EVERY health class until I graduated.  It was NOT "promoted" but explained and talked about.  It was also said that if anyone has further questions or may be having those feelings the Highschool Counselors and the Health teachers were available to be met with privately.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 3:39PM #10

Feb 10, 2010 -- 5:56PM, UwishUwereMe wrote:

I read the article, ACTS.  I do not see why this banner is such a big deal?

And you don't have children in the school; it's my guess (and this is only a guess) that some parents saw the banners and objected to them (the banners)

ALSO the Platte county scools seem to have their own "hidden agenda."  They seem like if the banners we not up they could skirt the "homo" issue.

If my guess is true, probably the schools wished thay didn't have to be in the middle of all this,  being politically correct AND trying to placate parents.  Most school administrators that I've seen are generally more liberal than the parents of the children the teach.

Seriously.  It makes sense that something like the ACLU and a GLBT, LGBT, or a BLT would also be promoting this sort of thing.    I like my BLT with a hardboiled egg.  That's an upper midwestern thing.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook