Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Wyoming Public Schools Resist Promotion of Homosexuality
8 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 4:26PM #11
UwishUwereMe
acts:  If my guess is true, probably the schools wished thay didn't have to be in the middle of all this,  being politically correct AND trying to placate parents.

uwuwm:  It is a tough thing.  Can'y/Won't argue there.  I have never been big on "PC" but I am all for education and learning tolerance... even if we don't like each other.  It's tough... I dated a girl from WY.  Beautiful strawberry blonde!  Freckles are sooo yummy!  But the point is that she made any of us here seems WAAAYYY left-of-left.  There can be tolerance and respect for (gays & other minorities) with out pandering to them.  It's the difference between beating the living hell out of them and restraint.  Some people have to be taught that just because someone lives a different lifestyle than they or has a diferent skin color than they... the "different person" still deserves to walk down the street with out fear for his/her life.

Acts: Most school administrators that I've seen are generally more liberal than the parents of the children the teach.

UWUWM:  Typically yes.  I know of only ONE teacher I had in highschool that was a republican.  I ONLY know this because when my Dad was helping a local Republican campain for office, he and I went to Mr. so-and-so's house to put up a yard sign.

Yes, MOST teachers are typically left of center, most of the time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 12:56AM #12
BillThinks4Himself

Having lived in Wyoming - twice - I find the whole "Wyomingans resist homosexual propaganda" statement to be silly to the point that it should make rootbeer come out of your nose.

If telling students not to target gays for discrimination, hazing and murder is "gay propaganda," somebody needs to go see Dr. Brown and warm up the Delorean because this century is not for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 3:11AM #13
Acts 28:22

Feb 16, 2010 -- 12:56AM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Having lived in Wyoming - twice - I find the whole "Wyomingans resist homosexual propaganda" statement to be silly to the point that it should make rootbeer come out of your nose.

If telling students not to target gays for discrimination, hazing and murder is "gay propaganda," somebody needs to go see Dr. Brown and warm up the Delorean because this century is not for you.

Moan! Here you go yet again Bill, shooting off with your opinions without even digesting the material; this is getting old!  Try something new, go back and actually read it!

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 7:11PM #14
moksha8088

I read the material as resisting anti-hatred training for the students in Wyoming public schools.  That anti-hatred training is something the entire world sorely needs.  Unless one's desired mode of interacting with Homosexuals is through some expression of hatred, then this would be good for every school child in Wyoming. 

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 7:17PM #15
moksha8088

BTW, my daughter's school has been very involved in anti-bullying training for the last two years. 

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 11:00PM #16

Feb 16, 2010 -- 7:11PM, moksha8088 wrote:

I read the material as resisting anti-hatred training for the students in Wyoming public schools.  That anti-hatred training is something the entire world sorely needs.  Unless one's desired mode of interacting with Homosexuals is through some expression of hatred, then this would be good for every school child in Wyoming. 

I read nothing about resisting the training program itself.  The the problem was with putting up some banners that the providers of the program  wanted on display.  The school refused to use the banners and the program providers refused use of the program without the banners.  

Some of the program's content dealt with homosexuality, not all

It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2010 - 10:03PM #17
BillThinks4Himself

Feb 16, 2010 -- 3:11AM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

Moan! Here you go yet again Bill, shooting off with your opinions without even digesting the material; this is getting old!  Try something new, go back and actually read it!

You misunderstand my point.  The article, itself, is fairly benign.  It's not about Wyoming schools resisting gay propaganda.  It's about an anti-bullying program that fizzled because the two sides could never reach agreement on a banner.  The school wouldn't run the program with the banner, which had a logo the school didn't want to display.  It didn't want to be seen as promoting a gay group.  On the other hand, the gay group wasn't willing to offer up its intellectual property without being able to advertise its sponsors.

It wasn't the article, or the people in it, that reflected so badly on tolerance for gays in Wyoming.  It was the title.  Why did somebody feel it appropriate, as a journalist, to turn this impasse into a statement like, "Wyomingans resist homosexual propraganda"?  

I also can't help but wonder why this article was linked here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2010 - 12:48PM #18

Feb 18, 2010 -- 10:03PM, BillThinks4Himself wrote:

Feb 16, 2010 -- 3:11AM, Acts 28:22 wrote:

You misunderstand my point.  The article, itself, is fairly benign.  It's not about Wyoming schools resisting gay propaganda.

UH, A BANNER WAS BEING RESISTED AS GAY PROPAGANDA...

It's about an anti-bullying program that fizzled because the two sides could never reach agreement on a banner.

LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE NOW READ THE ARTICLE

The school wouldn't run the program with the banner, which had a logo the school didn't want to display.  It didn't want to be seen as promoting a gay group.  On the other hand, the gay group wasn't willing to offer up its intellectual property without being able to advertise its  sponsors.

THE SPONSORS WERE DESCRIBED AS...."a political organization with an agenda which is not necessarily supported by Platte County Schools."

It wasn't the article, or the people in it, that reflected so badly...

TO SOME IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE MORE IMPORTANT AGENDA OF THE SPONSORS WAS GETTING POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS KNOWN TO SCHOOL CHILDREN; THAT  DOES REFLECT BADLY ON THE SPONSORS

...on tolerance for gays in Wyoming.  It was the title.  Why did somebody feel it appropriate, as a journalist, to turn this impasse into a statement like, "Wyomingans resist homosexual propraganda"?  

I also can't help but wonder why this article was linked here.

MY 'CONFUSION' ON YOUR 'POINT' IS THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF YOUR TWO PARAGRAPH STATEMENT,

"If telling students not to target gays for discrimination, hazing and murder is "gay propaganda," somebody needs to go see Dr. Brown and warm up the Delorean because this century is not for you."

BILL, NOWHERE IN THE ARTICLE WAS ANY PART OF THE PROGRAM ITSELF DESCRIBED AS 'GAY PROPAGANDA." I CAN ONLY DEDUCE THAT YOU  HADN'T READ THE ARTICLE UNTIL YOU WERE CHASTISED FOR NOT DOING SO.

Thomas S. Monson
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2010 - 11:22PM #19
BillThinks4Himself

UH, A BANNER WAS BEING RESISTED AS GAY PROPAGANDA...

No.  The banner was rejected because the school system didn't want the logo.  It didn't want to come across as endorsing a gay activist group or any agenda it might have.  Serving the whole community - which includes Christian groups who oppose gay activist groups - the decision is hardly surprising.  School officials are routinely sandwiched between rival groups and constantly have to take great pains to maintain neutrality.

I saw nothing in the article that denounced the program for being "gay propaganda."  Maybe you should try reading the whole article and not just the title.

LOOKS LIKE YOU'VE NOW READ THE ARTICLE

Let me know when you do.

THE SPONSORS WERE DESCRIBED AS...."a political organization with an agenda which is not necessarily supported by Platte County Schools."

An agenda "not necessarily supported by Platte County Schools."  Is that not clear enough for you?  The school district wasn't denouncing the materials, which they were only too happy to use.  They were refusing to use the banner because of the logo, and that was because they didn't want people to construe their use of the materials as an endorsement for the group itself.

Why should it, anyway?  The school's only interest is in running an anti-bullying campaign.  It shouldn't be in the business of endorsing any outside group.  If the LDS Church offered materials to be used by a local school in discussing some issue the LDS Church had an "agenda" on, would you be similarly surprised if the school district took issue with a banner that had the LDS Church logo on it?  Would you actually be surprised if the district took pains not to look like they were endorsing an outside group?

You read a headline, not the article.  Perhaps Mormons should take a page from the Jews and make a literacy test part of the faith.

TO SOME IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE MORE IMPORTANT AGENDA OF THE SPONSORS WAS GETTING POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS KNOWN TO SCHOOL CHILDREN; THAT  DOES REFLECT BADLY ON THE SPONSORS

To some idiots, perhaps.  The "more important agenda of the sponsors" was to push a message of tolerance, particularly for gays.  It never ceases to amaze me how you Mormoncons can ignore the obvious in search of a conspiracy theory.  Imagine, in some parallel universe, you were gay.  Imagine people in your tribe are being kicked out of the military, beaten to death and tied to fences in Wyoming.  Imagine your job is to advocate for your tribe.  Do you think, in all seriousness, that your "more important agenda" would be to promote the name-recognition of a few locals or would it, perhaps, be to GET PEOPLE TO STOP ATTACKING AND KILLING THE PEOPLE IN YOUR TRIBE?  

Do yourself a favor and ween yourself off your Limbaugh habit.  It'll do your brain some good.

MY 'CONFUSION' ON YOUR 'POINT' IS THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF YOUR TWO PARAGRAPH STATEMENT,

Why stop there?  I think you're generally confused about a great many things.

BILL, NOWHERE IN THE ARTICLE WAS ANY PART OF THE PROGRAM ITSELF DESCRIBED AS 'GAY PROPAGANDA." I CAN ONLY DEDUCE THAT YOU  HADN'T READ THE ARTICLE UNTIL YOU WERE CHASTISED FOR NOT DOING SO.

Read the title.  There is a serious disconnect between it and the substance of the article.  The local dittoheads took a pimple (two sides letting cooperation fizzle by being unyielding) and turned it into Mt. Vesuvius.  The dispute was about the use of the banner, with its logo; not on whether the materials offered were "gay propaganda."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook